Onslaught UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
One of the problems I had with onslaught in UT2K4 was that it overemphasized vehicles a LITTLE too much, I thought, but what annoyed me the most was the way that most node setups tended to fall into a really boring fight over one or two central nodes with nobody gaining any ground ever.

My absolute favorite Onslaught map was that one fan map without vehicles, and something like 20 nodes arranged in a grid pattern (see below), because in this, you had to control either regions of the map or specfic, non-preset lines, and there was a lot more strategy involved and it was less of everyone entrenches around the chokepoint for 30 minutes thing. Some of the official Onslaught maps had node setups that let you flank the enemy or whatever, but not enough.

BASE
BASE

Each of the last five snodes on each end, if I remember correctly, either fed into the base, or into some single chokepoint node that fed into the base.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Bots are fairly evenly matched. Online, you tend to get much less balanced teams. You could also argue that real players can strategize better, but large-scale strategies are *not easy to pull off* even with human players.

I tend to think it's map design, honestly. Compare BR-Colossus, which essentially has you running this huge, straight trench between the two bases, to that one egyptian themed map from the UT2K3 demo where there are all sorts of branching paths and alternate routes. The former chokes easily. The latter doesn't.

Facing Worlds also kind of has this problem.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yes, and actually that's where the Species Stats Plus mutators come in handy. With it, it actually matters if a Gen Mo'Kai or a Juggernaut picks the ball/takes the node, as a Gen Mo'Kai can take 5 while a Jugg takes only 1, yet 1 Jugg can kill 5 Gen Mo'Kai or a heavily defended node.
Also, the Link Designer helps to deal with chokes too.
Egyptian BR map is BR-Anubis.

Yet this is going off topic.

Can't UT99 support more polys per vehicle? They look ugly because of that and also because of the lousy JPG compression (PNG for the win!).

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Why don't you get someone to help you retexture then? Same model, different skin. Something that fits into the UT visual style a bit more.

I don't know if it will still look good. here are some pictures.

ONS-Dreamus ugly without staticmesh
ONS-Torlan I tried.

Attachments

• Torlan3.JPG
    Torlan3.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Torlan2.JPG
    Torlan2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
OpenGL People watch out for Torlan and Dreamus.

What I am doing now is bug fixing. Guns they rotate online but online in the drivers view not in other peoples view. Wheels seem to disappear in other peoples view but not in driver.

Last edited:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
yeah looks sweet.BC ahahhaha mate whats up with that jeep?
looks like it has some awsome scary defense system or such omg.

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Scorpions Blades :) Then going to add its back gun that will shoot Biorifle ammo kind of stuff of sticky grenades.

If I kind I can I'll maybe give a little 'What I've been doing' for you guys no one else but it will be there for a while then I take it off. It'll have Torlan with all ut2004 vehicle conversions on there because you have to try them all out :)

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
That scorpion with blades looks really sexy :) ... Torlan looks cool as well, but I think that the tower feels a little bit wrong. Perhaps you could try converting static mesh in UT2004Ed to the brush and import it into UED... I think that will work out pretty well. :) The only problem is that it can cause some small bsp errors , some of its surfaces can become missing but eh. :eek: I tried doing it with UT2004 rocks static meshes and they looked kewl :p

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
That scorpion with blades looks really sexy :) ... Torlan looks cool as well, but I think that the tower feels a little bit wrong. Perhaps you could try converting static mesh in UT2004Ed to the brush and import it into UED... I think that will work out pretty well. :) The only problem is that it can cause some small bsp errors , some of its surfaces can become missing but eh. :eek: I tried doing it with UT2004 rocks static meshes and they looked kewl :p

It is BSP.

Hey guys here is a little Taste of where onslaught is going. Please read readme.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y4BPGQ08

Contains ONS-TorlanDEMO

Last edited: