Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
View NX 2

Does anyone have experience of using this software?

I finally installed it because I wasn't happy with the results I was achieving using Digikam's raw conversion and all I can say is that it makes Samsung Kies software look like a paragon of stability on 64-bit W7 (VM or physical).

It consistently locks up performing a conversion to any format from raw and sends the CPU load to maximum (CPU gets very toasty).

I'm now running the version that came out on the 12th March 2013 but I saw this behaviour with the previous version from January (other than it sometimes worked with files from the D3100 but never with the D7000 files).

Both the W7 systems are fully patched. One is running Avast and the other MS Security Essentials.

At the moment, I'm discounting hardware being the issue (the system is quite happily running Fedora 17, W7 natively or in VirtualBox under F17 plus all the other stuff that I normally run and there is no evidence of any other problems.)

Suggestions welcome!

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I went to Osaka last month to see My Bloody Valentine play and then on our way back we hanged in Kyoto for the day. I shot this of a friend at a cafe with an Olympus XA since my Minolta is in the shop getting tuned up and cleaned.

Leonardo by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Try UFRAW, it supports the D3100 and D7000
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Cameras.html
Unfortunately that doesn't buy me anything. Digikam uses dcraw for the conversion, as does UFRaw so the underlying utility is the same.

In addition to the IQ issues that I was experiencing, I suspect that I might now also be hitting a bug in Digikam 2.9.0 that causes it to misapply lens correction. Fixed in 3.0.0 but Fedora 17 doesn't have that yet and I just don't have time at the moment to build 3.0.0 on my system.

I've played with Raw Therapee and Darktable and can get quite good results with them but the workflow sucks and (in fairness, they are dedicated tools) they are quite poor at photo management (Digikam excels in that field).

If I only shot jpeg then it would be a no-brainer, Digikam, Digikam and Digikam.

As an aside, I finally got View NX 2 running (sort of) on a 32-bit XP virtual machine (sort of, as in I can select one new directory and that's it - pick another directory and it locks up).

I have to say that View NX raw conversion with the default settings is very poor - detail NR'd to death and very, very, very,very slow in performing conversions, certainly worse IQ than Digikam. Out-of-the-camera jpeg (NEF+JPG) seems to be the way to go for very high ISO work. :(

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Totally worth it.

They'll be playing at Norwegian Wood in a few months. We'll also be in the middle of moving house again around that time and so I'll be lacking in free time and I'll be in between jobs and low on money. It sucks, but the interesting bands don't really tour Scandinavia as much as they do mainland Europe. I'll have to wait years for another opportunity.

On the plus side, we're moving into a kingly estate. And I've got MBV on vinyl either way. ;)

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Fuck it. Skip some meals. Do what you got to do. This is one of those bands you want to see. They don't tour so much hence why I went all the way to Osaka to see them.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I have no interests in your meaningless lego's, your outfit however intrigues me. Hand it over now or get crushed underneath the wrath of my boots.

tEkpLWj.jpg

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Ermergerd!
I just plopped down for a Nikon D3s. 3 year old camera and its still the low light king of the digital camera world. It arrives later this week and just in time for my next gig.

It's been a dream camera for a long time. Unlike the newer generation cameras it doesn't suffer from a slew of problems. Best of all, I don't have to buy a new version of Photoshop along with it.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Fuck it. Skip some meals. Do what you got to do. This is one of those bands you want to see. They don't tour so much hence why I went all the way to Osaka to see them.

I asked again and she's really putting her foot down, sorry. I'm weighing down the pros and cons of breaking up over this.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Ermergerd!
I just plopped down for a Nikon D3s. 3 year old camera and its still the low light king of the digital camera world. It arrives later this week and just in time for my next gig.
Envy!

Unlike the newer generation cameras it doesn't suffer from a slew of problems.

Like dodgy left-hand focus points or an oil slick on the sensor?

I was really quite tempted by the idea of an upgrade to the D600 (as Nikon no doubt intended - it's full frame D7000) but the ongoing tales of woe put me off the idea. :(