NVIDIA to Acquire AGEIA Technologies

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
NVIDIA has announced it will acquire AGEIA, the company behind the PhysX physics solutions. (thanks, Phopojijo)
"The AGEIA team is world class, and is passionate about the same thing we are—creating the most amazing and captivating game experiences," stated Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of NVIDIA. "By combining the teams that created the world's most pervasive GPU and physics engine brands, we can now bring GeForce®-accelerated PhysX to hundreds of millions of gamers around the world."

"NVIDIA is the perfect fit for us. They have the world's best parallel computing technology and are the thought leaders in GPUs and gaming. We are united by a common culture based on a passion for innovating and driving the consumer experience," said Manju Hegde, co-founder and CEO of AGEIA.

Like graphics, physics processing is made up of millions of parallel computations. The NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GT GPU, with its 112 processors, can process parallel applications up to two orders of magnitude faster than a dual or quad-core CPU.

"The computer industry is moving towards a heterogeneous computing model, combining a flexible CPU and a massively parallel processor like the GPU to perform computationally intensive applications like real-time computer graphics," continued Mr. Huang. "NVIDIA's CUDA™ technology, which is rapidly becoming the most pervasive parallel programming environment in history, broadens the parallel processing world to hundreds of applications desperate for a giant step in computational performance. Applications such as physics, computer vision, and video/image processing are enabled through CUDA and heterogeneous computing."

NeoNight

Lurker
Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Not surprised at all. Will they be adding the physX technology to their existing cards? or will they just offer a whole new product? (my guess is the latter, rahter then former since they could potentially make more money) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rattyocaster

Up close and personal Sniper
Jul 26, 2002
United Kingdom
www.jordanappleton.co.uk
I think it'll be a move for the better, however one question remains, what will be the case with the older physx cards? Will they need to be replaced or is it just going to be another driver to get from nVidia?
On nVidia acquiring technologies, I read a rumour in January that nVidia MAY even be buying AMD (including ATi) this year. Like I said though, this is only a rumour I read, however when the source I got it from http://www.theinquirer.net asked nVidia about it, they basically said they didn't want to comment at this time, you'd think that there'd be a more certain "No" if they weren't at least thinking about it.

U

Unregistered

Not surprised at all. Will they be adding the physX technology to their existing cards? or will they just offer a while new product? (my guess is the latter, rahter then former since they could potentially make more money) :rolleyes:

well, that could be actually nice! if nvidia would just integrate the technology behind the PhysX cards into their motherboard's chipset, cause i think that the cards are just too busy right now to integrate the physx card onto them.

Let's hope is for the good

Merc

Feb 4, 2008
Wouldn't that be a monopoly? I'm not surprised at all by this, I mean they didn't sell well.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I think it'll be a move for the better, however one question remains, what will be the case with the older physx cards? Will they need to be replaced or is it just going to be another driver to get from nVidia?

of course you'll have to buy a new card. there's more money in a new card than new drivers. but anyway, the new card [IRONY]will be a gazillion times better than anything Ageia even thought of in their wildest dreams and it will be the all-in-one solution for everything[/IRONY]. or something like that...

as for nvidia buying amd, i find that hard to imagine. i mean amd now includes ati. so nvidia would pretty much have a monopoly. apart from that, just imagine the huge amount of money :eek: can they even do that?!

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Woah Nvidia buying AMD, thats gotta be alittle bit of a stretch I rekon. It must have been hard enough for AMD to afford Ati, hey you never know intel could come in and buy Nvidia after they do that :lol:

Nvidia do seem to have their own chipsets now and from what I know of these Sli is only enabled on Nvidia chipsets, where crossfire seems to be making its way to alot of intel chipset boards. I found this one alittle bit of a conflict of interest really since Ati is owned by AMD being Intels rival (yeah pretty obvious for most) but maybe Intel and AMD are both on their back foot because of Nvidia's reach.

Not only do Nvidia do chipsets, GPU's and soon hardware for physics they also reach into the console market with GPU's in the xbox and playstation 3. It gets even better from there as well since Nvidia chips arnt uncommon for Mac users either. So they seem to cover the same if not more area's than Intel, not that I have any sales figures or profit margins to back up my speculation :p

The most interesting thing I can think to come out of this is perhaps onboard physics processors and network optimization or dedicated bandwith for physics. Id imagine they would want to provide more solutions to gain a greater market share but thats if their sights is set on providing cards over mobo's. Im willing to put my money that they are going to try and push their chipsets even more than they do already, while you can have an intel chipset or amd chipset if you have an Nvidia one you get Sli and this possibility of hardware physics. That would mean they are essentially cutting intel and amd out of everything but the CPU, Im pretty sure AMD and Intel dont make chipsets for each others proccessors so it would be a pretty smart move on Nvidia's part. Not that I would totally agree with it but hey, something to think about :)

Does make you wonder if its possible for IBM to bring Cell to the PC market in some form. There seems to be some differences between Sony's and MS's versions of the chips but from what I can tell its similar to PowerPC which was actually in Mac's.

So yeah theres probably alot more going on behind the scenes in the hardware biz than we think about or realize, alliances formed and broken from generation to generation and companies double even triple dipping on the same markets to turn larger profits.

Im predicting XFX will be the next thing if anything Nvidia buys (if they dont already own it under another name), then again making their own boards didnt work out so well for 3dFX :p

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I think if anything nvidia would produce a "combo" card before integrating it into their chipset. They have the dual board gpu cards like the 7950 gx2 and the new 9800 series card as well. Just my opinion but it may be easier for them to just slap a gpu and physx board together that way.

WHo knows. Anyways hopefully they'll turn it into a useful and affordable technology because right now there's just not enough software to justify the price.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
they don't need to make it 'affordable' since there's no competition that could hope to offer something similar.
This is very very bad news for us as consumers, unless they keep the separate PhysX-card and then Ati&co would have to offer something very very fast&cheap to compete with the cards that have onboard PhysX.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Will all the card have it included or we will have to pay different version of the card with AGEIA physix inside?

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Whoa, I didn't see that coming.
I'm not sure whether this is good news for consumers or not.
The whole dedicated physics card didn't seem to be getting very popular any time soon, so...
I guess now we'll never know what would've happened.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah a combo card would indeed be interesting especially since Nvidia managed to chop the size of their 8000 series cards with the 8800GT so they do perhaps have some room to play with. With the highest end cards though they are already of a size big enough to need an arcade machine box to fit them in so adding another chip on there might be difficult, especially if you want to fit multiple cards in sli. I think its up to 3way sli now with the 8800gtx/ultra's and the right chipset.

It is interesting that intel owns havok as well, this could put them in a postition to go head to head with nvidia if physics processors become onboard things. I just think perhaps making them onboard will be a solution where they can hide the costs instead of people purchasing a seperate dedicated card, where you will know exactly what that physics solution costs you.

Also this could open the way for the physics processors being a core on the cpu and the north bridge taking care of some of the stuff perhaps also, similar to a new instruction set. If physics and sound are both done on cores in the cpu it could lead to optimizations between the two, then again youd be needing a pretty hardcore cpu Id imagine especially when you take into account the rest of the stuff its handling when running games.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
I think this is a bad move.

Intel will have Havok, so it'll run best on Intel platforms.
nVidia will have Physx, so it'll run best on nVidia platforms.
AMD? Nothing, so they're going to be left out.

Intel and nVidia will continue raging war against each other so Havok will probably run absolute crud on nVidia platforms while AMD try to reason with one of them (or even both) so the physics engine will run "well" on their platform.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
And the games will suffer since every developer will have to either focus on 1 (and leave the consumers to wonder why a game doesn't run) or try to support them all (and waste resources on finding an 'average').

Nope ... it looks like that now the war for the best graphics has been settled (or at least : no one can think of new interesting features) we're going to get one about physics-engines.
And the worst bit ? No one has ever proved that you really need a physics-engine that is as complicated as Ageia's to begin with since physics can easily be faked in games.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's true that game developers are the ones really losing here.