Nostalgic Mutator Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
nUTcase has released a mutator that intends to give Unreal Tournament 2004 a more "Unreal Tournament" feel. Check the release thread for more details and pics. Here is a sampling of what it does:

Same (or more similar to) as UT: Hud, Scoreboard, status Announcer, models, skins, health amount (and respawn times), Ammo amount (and respawn times), JumpBoots spawned in all maps, weapon projectile models, weapon decals, weapon damage, player size (about 20% bigger then default ut2004 player). Bots are normal size (default, bots dont crouch so they dont get stuck).
Changed: Reskinned and brightened weapons a bit to better resemble UT weapons. All healthpickups, weapons, ammo, playerskins brighter. More.
Added: Ping and packetloss in hud, built in Male one and Male two voicepacks, blood traces for hurt players, and more.
Sound and graphics effects added: A number of enhancements, including better player damage effects.
The distance players are thrown into the air is now more damage dependant.
Rocketlauncher: 6 rockets,6 grenades except for the 'tight' mode.
Impacthammer: looks like the reg shieldgun in ut2004
(30% Higher jumps possible then in UT and no reflection of Rockets on altmode)

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
I still have my UT CDs. I don't understand the purpose of mutators/total conversions like this. If I want to play Unreal Tournament, I'll reinstall Unreal Tournament. I play UT2004 because I want to play UT2004.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
NeoNite said:
They just want to play UT in a graphically improved environment, I guess.
I've long suspected that despite everyones protests of "NUH UH WE DUNT", they really do want UT in a prettier package.

Inferny

Apr 4, 2005
because graphiks is an extension of gameplay. what's more fun?
a) fragging a box that just falls over
OR
b) fragging a realistic alien with lighting,shadowing and pritty teeh that bounces around?

i know what i would like to be doing

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, in UT's defense: the game's graphics have improved. Time doesn't stand still, you know. You'd be surprised what can be done with poor, old UT these days.

Residual decay looks very promising...

Crimson Sigil

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Nemephosis said:
I've long suspected that despite everyones protests of "NUH UH WE DUNT", they really do want UT in a prettier package.

I really can't blame them. In terms of 'feel', Epic caught lightning in a bottle with the original UT. IMO, they just haven't been able to recapture that magic since, though 2k4 was a step in the right direction after the downright disastrous 2k3.

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
Nemephosis said:

Of course. Because UT was perfect.

>_>

<_<

Also agreed with that "lightning in a bottle" comment. And UT2k3 -> 2k4.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Pretty good mutator but it doesnt disable double jump/dodge. The bot AI seems strange too, they very often sit crouching on the ground shooting, when you fight them. Doesnt have the super-easy headshots from UT99 where you hit their shoulder and the head comes off.