No more Button Combos?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
[ol' crusty]Back in UT days, we had a mutator called "spree bonus" that worked very much like adrenaline... sort of.[/ol' crusty] If you got a Killing Spree, you got the thighpads. If you extended to Rampage, you got the armor. At higher levels of the spree, you got UDamage, shieldbelt, the works. These weren't temporary, either... they lasted as long as they would if you'd run over the corresponding pickup.

It was kind of a nice alternative system for doing what adrenaline does, but at the same time kind of a drag as well... way overpowered. When adren first came out, I thought "Ah, a balanced version of spree bonus -- N1." Then I realized that spree bonus had one virtue that adren didn't: it was a wacky custom mutator that you didn't run into that often, whereas adren was everywhere. Given that last factor, I think spree bonus was far superior.

If adrenaline goes the way of the dodo, I doubt I'll shed a single tear -- it's silly.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Of course adrenaline/powerups are silly!
So what ? It's not like the UT-series was ever meant to be serious ... just look at the Nalicow in UT99. :p ;)

Discord

Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Well, yeah... true dat... but still adrenaline is silliness masquerading as seriousness. Relics, on the other hand, are unabashedly ridiculous. If you're gonna be silly, you need to put on the big shoes says I. And also you ought remember that brevity is the soul of wit. =OP

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... the more the evil candy flying around a map, the worst. IMO that is... all the way back to RA-theory...

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i still think that players ought to be rewarded for activity and not success... like if one person kills another, both of them get equal amounts of adrenaline... and just in case the guy that got killed was a noob, nobody should be allowed online until theyve been through all the tutorials so everyone has an equal advantage in terms of adrenaline, and it will keep the gameplay interesting ... like from time to time someone runs at extra speed, or shoots extra fast, or has regeneration, or becomes invisible... could be anyone not just the good players

but the relic system has this 'woah, whats this' factor when you find one floating around somewhere with all the lights and stuff around it... and unlike adrenaline, killing the player with the relic rewards you with the relic itself so its got more competitive gameplay (i think)

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
JaFO said:
Of course adrenaline/powerups are silly!
So what ? It's not like the UT-series was ever meant to be serious ... just look at the Nalicow in UT99. :p ;)
talking of the nalicow, they need to return in envy! :D

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I guess you want one that's anatomically correct (ie : complete with udders) ?
You sick bastard :p ;)

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
nalicows dont have udders i think... well when you look at them in unreal 1 (and maybe the 'seegoats' in unreal 2) they look like reptilian rabbits....having a weapon mount on their back and the ability to say 'moo' is more important than being anatomically correct, i think...

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... besides, an iconic species of Unreal Universe never got properly portrayed in UT games after the original UT: Skaarj and Nali. Nali doesn't seem to exist as a fact after Unreal itself, being the UT rendition a simple "copy/paste" thing to geive something more to the folks (and yes, i know all about that oH-Nali-aren't-mean-or-war-like ****-chat). Then, there's the Skaarj... poor guys just keep getting worse until they've considered extint in the new Envy (?). UT2004 Skaarj-that-look-like-LoTR-orcs anyone?...

... i want a warcow... and a battlebunny...

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
The problem with 'Skaarj' is that they'd be too massive compared to the ordinary players if they'd been given proper sizes. The 'skaarj' in UC2-demo looks more like one of the brutes in Unreal 1.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
I wish they had it if you kill someone that had the double damage then you could pick it up if there was still time on it.

And I thought the jumpboots where cool to.

Discord

Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
iron12 said:
I wish they had it if you kill someone that had the double damage then you could pick it up if there was still time on it.

Look for a mutator called "Drop Everything." I think there may be another one that does that as well, not sure...

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
iron12 said:
The game came with a mutator called UDamage Reward that does just that. :con:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
JaFO said:
The problem with 'Skaarj' is that they'd be too massive compared to the ordinary players if they'd been given proper sizes. The 'skaarj' in UC2-demo looks more like one of the brutes in Unreal 1.

... that's why EPIC came up with the wonderfull Skaarj Hybrid idea in UT. I never switched from such model ever after :) . Similar thing should be done in the new UT IMO...