No fun in INF!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Your analogy sucks, because I'm not a teacher.

And you OBVIOUSLY don't udnerstand. So let me explain in terms any english speaking person can understand:

I am simply telling him to rethink the fact that INF has no fun, if INF has no fun then don't play it, play CS, which at the begining he stated he thought was more fun. No one is holding a gun to your head to make you play INF, just as I am not holding a gun to his head telling him to play CS, I'm tlling him if he likes CS more to not coplain about INF, and to play CS, and that if he does like INF, to simply not complain and be happy that it is like it is.

Now, unless you don't speak 40 words of english then that isn't that hard to understand, now is it?

And as to me angering ANYONE, Sorry, It's not my goal, perhaps now that you've ANGERED me you'd like to appologize as well?

Antedeluge

I survived the flood of 2000 B.C.
Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
This may sound silly, but I think what a lot of people construe as a difference in fun is actually a difference in the effort one must put forth to play the game.

Allow me to recall one particularly long session of play on Sicily while I was still at school. I was playing, as was my roommate. Early in the year, both of us had played A LOT of CS. He still did at this point, while I had almost completely switched over to Inf for my online killing needs. Early on in the match, he was cannon fodder, while I, already experienced, was playing very well. As he died early on a few times, he observed the way I played, and he was actually doing pretty well toward the end of the match. The match was best of fifteen, it lasted about an hour and ten minutes, and our team won eight to seven. At the conclusion of the map, we decided to quit, and to our surprise, we were both actually tired! Infiltration had worn us out. It takes more effort to play Infiltration, you have to plan your strategies every round, and your adrenaline level is always high because you fear for your fragile Inf soldier life. I believe the exact words my roommate used were, "It's so much more intense than Counter-Strike." The high level of intensity and greater mental strain is seen as some people as "work," and for most people "work" does not equal "fun", and thus they say, it's not as fun.

Just my two cents on the "fun" issue.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Infiltration online gets my adrenaline going big time. I have to agree that losing in Infiltration is not fun if you never win. When I'm playing like crap and I haven't killed one guy... I get pretty frustrated pretty fast and sometimes I quit and take a break. But when I'm playing good or just okay.. it's a blast. The times you get killed early in the round don't bother you very much. When I'm playing good and I get killed I actually find it entertaining and I'll congratulate the guy who just wacked me.

So I think the solution to making Infiltration fun for you is for you to practice. Not for the game to change. ;)

Evil Joe

I Will Kill You
Feb 13, 2000
Like I explained to my good friend D. CS is an action game. CS has small maps that aren't very complex (or realistic for that matter) in which you have basically 2-4 routes to the objectives. In this way you play quickly get your weapons run one of the routes till you find an enemy which happens in about 35 seconds and you "get it on" if you die... no matter the round will end soon as everyone is running and strafing and duking it out.... and then next round

Yeah this is fun. For me it was mostly just instant CQB action. And you get a quick "fix"

Some inf maps are like that... Peru, my archives map if your one of the 5 people who play it :) etc.

but the other maps its all about stratagy its all about checking the area before you move on

you have to think, to concentrate, to keep your cool you don't and your dead... dead so fast you don't know what happened.

Now there is obviously a LARGE crowd of people who like the quick "easy going" action of CS. You can take hits. You get ambushed and you can still live. However there is alos a growing crowd of people who truly like the inf gamestyle... to them IT is fun... and for most who find it fun there is NO going back. I for one can't really play CS anymore.... occassionly I do for the benefit of my LAN mates but I'd rather be playing Infiltration [I'd by a T-shirt that said that if we made them :)]. So I'm sorry you don't find it fun friend... BUT know that we WONT be changing it in the ways you suggest.... sorry

also this may come as a suprise to you but after inf for me I CANT play CS cause CS is no longer FUN for me... either are UT or Quake 3... they are boring... they don't get the heart pumping like Inf does... anyways just my 2 cents

MonkeyManX

Peace bro!
Jan 12, 2001
Um...Finland.
www.mohaafin.com
Thinkin again...

Hehe...BTW...Gabriel...why the hell i would post this crap if i would hate INF??? I remember when me and my friend played Cuban Dawn like 7 hours a day and having a GREAT TIME! But i ment the online play gets preatty boring after a while...but i really think its just me. I have played lots of other Reality-Shootaz like R6 and SWAT, and i never got bored on em' But INF Online play has just something crap about it...dunno what tough.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
MonkeyMan,
Like I said.. you're getting spanked when you play online and therefore spending most of your time as a ghost. That means you're not playing and getting bored. That's why you don't like it.

Trust me, KEEP PLAYING. You will get better and you will start to like it. Try starting out on a server with 4 or 5 people rather than 12. The more people there are, the faster paced it is and the easier it is to get killed at the beginning of the round.

Playing against bots is WAAAAY EASIER than playing against humon opponents.

MonkeyManX

Peace bro!
Jan 12, 2001
Um...Finland.
www.mohaafin.com
*SIGH*!

DDL:
Like I said.. you're getting spanked when you play online and therefore spending most of your time as a ghost. That means you're not playing and getting bored. That's why you don't like it.

Hmm...like i said.. i have only played 2 real INF Online matches and i wasen't the last one on them, i were like 2 or 3. And Gabriel...whats up with you? gettin' pissed when someone says: INF R0X0RZ!???

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Monkey, I think part of the problem is that in the beginning of this thread, you said that "CS rocks" and later changed to "Inf. rocks".. you seem to be jumping back and forth, and your initial 'jump' was definitely off the wrong foot! If you only played online twice, you really haven't played enough to be qualified to make an objective statement either way, play online on different servers for a while and THEN come back and let us know what you think.

Personally, I like Infiltration the way it is(as well as the direction it is heading in). I enjoy playing it online, although I don't play online as much as i'd like. I do wish that every map had a 'domination' version so that the match could involve more than just killing everyone on the other team. If you think CS is more fun, more power to ya, but I don't think the team will ever deviate from their quest for realism simply because less realism may be "more fun" to some people.

Dracil

First Poster of new INF forums
Jan 14, 2000
Taiwan, now in UC Berkeley
Gabriel: Please calm down. Your use of capital words in response to my relatively calm post was a bit excessive. While I will apologize for angering you so deeply, I must still explain my original post in a hopefully less inflammatory way.

I used the analogy of a teacher because I could not think of anything better at the moment. But one thing people do not seem to understand is that you do not have to be the exact same thing as the what is used for the analogy for the analogy to make sense. Therefore, it is not required that you be a teacher for it to relate to you.

As for your explanations. What you are implying in that statement is that no one should voice any opinions and if that is so, we would not need the suggestions forum either. After all, it would mean that we all think that Infiltration is absolutely perfect. No more need for Infiltration 2.86 either.

Personally, I'm just tired of how much newbie flaming is going on and how much people are telling them to go "play something else". It is not constructive whatsoever.

I do sincerely apologize if my thread came out to be inflammatory. I generally try to keep them from being too inflammatory, but I guess exam week is stressing me out. :p Argue my points if you want, but not in an angry way, since while I do want to debate some points, I don't want start or be part of a flame war.

Last edited:

stglebidiah

Flying Monkey
Apr 1, 2001
My own personal HELL!!!
Visit site
i would merely like to say that arguing over what different people find fun is rather pointless. kinda like telling someone that because you don't like hotdogs, hotdogs must be changed. obviously someone who like hotdogs the way they are would object.

who is right?

neither.

who is wrong?

both. arguing about opinions is foolish and futile. to extend the analogy, if you don't like hotdogs, don't complain about the hotdogs. eat something you like instead.

now, i don't intend this to be an insult to ANYONE. and i want no flames directed towards anyone because of this post. i'm merely trying to say that we shouldn't be making threads where people tell others that their opinion of what is fun is the only correct opinion.

thankfully this thread has remained relatively calm and flame-free. but even the nicest threads can turn nasty.

if you think INF could be more fun, say how it could be made more fun clearly. personally, in threads where people pit their opinion against someone else's, i don't blame the original post as much as all the people who told that person they are wrong. but posts should be about the game, not about our opinions because that is just asking for trouble (or we could have a new forum, Infiltration Feedback or somesuch, unless we already do in which case i've got a bad case of foot-in-mouth :D).

anyways, i hope my point is clear. if it isn't, check out the thread 'TK's, idiots, and "shoot me" signs' started by fur. it's turning into an interesting discussion on this topic (the topic in my post, not the topic of this thread).

to clarify (rereading this i realize it don't come out right the way wanted): i don't think POSTING opinions is bad, it's ARGUING about them that gets nothing done. opinions are (for the most part) equally valid, so they should not be disputed with other opinions. rather, try suggesting HOW the game could be improved and we can discuss that.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Dracil,
I used to have a problem with my threads being inflammatory, but then I tried this and I highly recommend it: