nForce

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nForce = sweet?

• yesum

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • nay

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • have to wait and see

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • no opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Athlon Thunderbirds started at 800 MHz, maybe even slower but mine is a 800MHz Tbird :D

Building your own pc is easy, the manual for the mb has all the info you need.
The hardest part is figuring out how the switches & leds on the case are supposed to fit on the motherboard.
And configuring your motherboard is really easy if you've got a jumperless one ...

// nForce :
It's nice to see that low-end entry-level pc's will have at last a decent graphicscard (with hardware T&L) & soundcard.
Especially the soundcard on the motherboard could suffer from the interference generated by the CPU & graphicscard. I wonder if the real motherboards manage to avoid this.

I would avoid such motherboards myself because I've got both already so I simply re-use my old cards until I buy better ones.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Souds pretty useless to me, i hat integrated systems. They do not allow for tweaking enough. And usually one or more of the parts on it has to suck in order to keep it affordable for the people who are stupid enough to buy integrated systems (that's why those mobos with on-board sound usually have some crap comparable to a SB PCI128.

I'll be happy the day they make a video card which allows you to plug your own processor and memory on it :)
I'd like a Vid card with a Tunderbird 1.1Ghz and 512MB of ram on it, talk about power :)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Fur, that setup would be awful slow. But I had the idea of upgradable gfx cards myself. Would be nice.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
No, no, no. You guys aren't reading enough. nForce is not an intergrated graphics mobo. It goes way beyond that. If you pop in a video card the intergrated graphics goes away. It's everything else that stays, all the features that will get rid of the bottlenecks in theory. They're using AMD's Hypertransport technology to basically make your whole system all work together in real-time, instead of everything doing something and waiting for another.

Note that an AGP graphics card, such as a GeForce3, can continue to be used on motherboards with the nForce chipset. If an external graphics card is detected, the on-board graphics processor will automatically disable itself.

Unlike traditional shared memory architectures, TwinBank uses two independent 64-bit memory controllers (MC0 and MC1 in the following diagram) to deliver up to 4.2GB/sec. of peak memory bandwidth. The crossbar memory controller allows the CPU and GPU to concurrently access the two 64-bit memory banks.

That's some serious power and if nVidia can truely get this to work, it would be a real change in gaming. But I'm certainly gonna wait a few months after they come out and make sure cuz even I'm skeptical.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Precisely. But it's main reason for creation is to reduce, if not eviscerate, all bottlenecks. Basically it wants to make computers like a PS2 or an Xbox in the sense that everything works together flawlessly. The PS2 has very little memory when you think about it and the reason it can produce an image like GT3 @ 60 fps is because of the dedication to all of the hardware. Everything has extremely low latency and little bottlenecks and this is how the PS2 can do this. nForce basically wants to do the same thing.

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Originally posted by Ballistophobia
Precisely. But it's main reason for creation is to reduce, if not eviscerate, all bottlenecks. Basically it wants to make computers like a PS2 or an Xbox in the sense that everything works together flawlessly. The PS2 has very little memory when you think about it and the reason it can produce an image like GT3 @ 60 fps is because of the dedication to all of the hardware. Everything has extremely low latency and little bottlenecks and this is how the PS2 can do this. nForce basically wants to do the same thing.

That would be great. I wish it would come out before Max Payne though ;) . I tried the MadOnion.com 3d Mark 2001. It test your frame rate all the jibba jabba. In the max payne test it was 8-20 on high detail! Yikes! But on low detail it was 15-30 but still, Yikes! This is at 1024x768 though, and yes I DO have to have all the damn details on.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Nice Rogue. I really think AF is under-rated. If you ask me it's what made this card worth it's weight in gold. It's more of an image quality feature than FSAA will ever be to me. Seeing the ground very visibly blur as I walked around in INF with my G1 SDR really sucked. It was a distractment as well. Not there's absolutely no cut-off, no blurring.

Yeah Don, get rid of that dual processor crap. All that does is cause inefficiency. :)

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
Apple going nVidia ! and Possible AMD PPC chips !

This was posted on one of the Mac OS rumor sites.........

In the past day or so, there's been a lot of attention focused on the press coverage of the HyperTransport Consortium, a body which is working to make the HyperTransport interchip communications technology (basically, a multi-purpose high-speed data bus with the ability to scale up to 12.8 GB/second - more than ten times Apple's current main bus performance on the PowerMac G4 and far beyond any of the other motherboard busses that can be replaced with HyperTransport) an industry standard. Apple just so happens to be very interested in HyperTransport for future Macs -- so much so that it has become a founding member of the Consortium. Since x86 processor maker AMD created HyperTransport, and is also a pet technology of graphics acceleration leader and chipset maker nVIDIA, speculation has run rampant that Apple may be working to open the door to more compatibility with a range of HyperTransport-connected chipsets -- perhaps even making use of AMD parts and (gasp!) AMD-manufactured PowerPC processors.

Although Apple has indeed been showing some interest in working with AMD, Rumors has been led to believe that so far these discussions have been largely general in nature, with HyperTransport being looked at as the gateway to future dealings between the companies. We're a lot more interested in the rumors going around about Apple and nVIDIA. After all, Apple has already made the PowerMac line powered by nVIDIA graphics cards across the entire standard model selection. Granted, you can get an ATi RADEON if you want, but given the neck-in-neck nature of the RADEON and the GeForce 2MX, we'll bet that only a few users, who for the most part probably only want the RADEON for compatibility with a particular application or system configuration, will actually be picking one up. If Apple goes ahead with the widely rumored move to nVIDIA's GeForce2GO accelerator in the Powerbook G4 Titanium revision due at the end of September (code-name Onyx, at least according to the grapevine consensus -- we've yet to see hard documentation that this is in fact the real codename Apple is using internally), that would make Apple's entire Pro lineup 100% nVIDIA-based. Granted nVIDIA is leading the computer industry in the performance arena these days and their prices are generally very competitive, but given those circumstances, we'd think that Apple must have some pretty compelling business relationship reasons for the move to leave behind ATi's long-standing close relationship with the company and more than three years of Apple offering only ATi accelerators with its computers.

nVIDIA's first system chipsets, the nFORCE series, focus largely on bang-for-the-buck and low cost. However, at present the only PowerPC processor we're sure will have HyperTransport support is the PPC 7500, a 64-bit "Book E" G5. So, correspondingly, we may not see a HyperTransport-based Mac until the G5 is ready - at present, that looks to be somewhere in the ballpark of mid-2002. This would mean that we'd also be waiting for an Apple and/or nVIDIA-built chipset that could cater to the mid-2002 high-end features: 1600Mbps Firewire, 10-Gigabit Ethernet, ATA-133, 8X AGP, etc. Thusly, unless Apple manages to get a more consumer-oriented processor ready for HyperTransport (perhaps the 7460 - the power-saving, lower-cost version of today's high-end G4?), we probably will never see a Mac built on today's nFORCE chipsets. Instead, the high end desktops will come first, with the iMac and portables following gradually over the course of 2002 and perhaps early 2003.

But sooner or later, we do expect Apple to move fully to HyperTransport-based mainboards...which in turn makes it very easy, not to mention cost-effective, to utilize nVIDIA's chipsets. So we don't need to have a lot of insider information to figure this one out; yes, Apple will probably use nVIDIA chipsets (no doubt with added chips for Apple-specific functionalities) in the future if they remain as competitive as they are today.

mae2050

If U wanna know Y U get killed, ASK UR SELF
Mar 23, 2001
I LOVE my DELL 4100 1Ghz, 256mb and a GF2 Ultra. But I hate DELL. Its mobo, Intel's CPU and Nvidia's GF2 cannot be overclocked. Especially when U get 1Ghz Athlons with 128mb and GF2 Pros HITTIN 8k in 3DMark 2k. I HATE DELL. At least my puter runs all games at 1600x1200 easily over 40fps. I cant wait for the nForce and to hack the XBOX with Linux.

Originally posted by Donnellizer
I have a somewhat related question.. Is WindowsME EVER going to support dual processors! It's ridiculous that I PAID for 2 500mhz processors and I only GET 1! And most games work horribly in Windows2000. One problem or the other has to get fixed, until then my computer sucks. It's very frustrating.

Hey Donnellizer if u want to run games usin dual processors try Win Xp RC1 from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp or MSN at melayout@homtail.com to get it for free.