newbie POLL:What input devices/rig do U use for UT???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
I use the KB/Mouse combo too. Was giving a great deal of consideration to the PantherXL, but I think I'll wait for the newer revision to come out before I give it a shot (jenny has one and threw me tons of good info on it...if you're looking for some opinions on it from a serious PantherXL user, drop jenny a mail). BTW...am I the only one that has Jump bound to a mouse button? Seems like everyone else has it on the keyboard somewhere. My basic layout is:

Arrow keys for movement/strafing
Mouse1 for primary fire
Mouse2 for jump
Ctrl for seconday fire
Num0/Ins for crouch
Shift for xloc
NumPad for weapons
Rest of keyboard for voice/text binds

BTW...having the Jump and Primary fire buttons on the mouse right next to each other makes doing hammerjumps much easier, IMO (I must be the only person on the planet not using an alias for that...when will I learn to do things the easy way?). And, I don't even use the mouse wheel anymore now that I've gotten used to switching weapon with the Numpad without having to look down...feels so much better then scrolling through weapons til I get the right one. I'm trying to find a really good use for the wheel now so it isn't wasted...any ideas? Was thinking of maybe binding my favorite melee weapon to one direction, and my favorite splash damage weapon to the other. I think Cleaner has something on his site about binding a bunch of weapons to one key, so when you press it, your favorite of the bunch comes up.

Jeff

Troll|PuF

Poetic Terrorist
May 2, 2000
Temporary Autonomous Zone
yup....keyboard/mouse here too

the keyboard is just the Propeller Pilot that came with my system, I have to say tho I like it much better than any other keyboard I've used, the keys are nice and springy..some keyboards just don't have the right feel. The mouse, however, I spent a lot on, I'm very picky about my mice. I LOVED my Logitech 4 button, but after a while the ball gets grungy. I got tired of cleaning it before every game. So I went and got the Intellieye Explorer Optical, which I fell in love with the very first time I moved the mouse pointer across the screen. And I have never ever ever had a problem with it in the months I've used it for upwards of 30 hours a week gaming with it. For the primo mousing surface, I use an Everglide.

dubie scoo

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
Controls

My buddy plays with an odd config, he uses the mouse buttons for forward/backward movement, a and d for strafe and w for fire. what a tard!@!!!! (he owns on tribes ;))

ChrisQuickTA

Jul 1, 2000
New BRunswick, NJ, USA
Visit site
I tried playing with the keyboard and I pretty much suck compared to the way I can play with the controller. I may just get the new microsoft mouse with the extra button for right strafe :). I cant play for sh*% with the keyboard, bottom line, it would almost be like learning to play again. I guess I started off on the wrong foot. I looked at the pantherXL and it seems kinda wierd to me. I joystick to move and a trackball to aim? Hmm...I will just stick with my mouse/sidewinder combo and be unique. I usually have my weapons on the keypad for quick access and some commands bound to the lower left keys(lft-ctrl,lft-alt,space).

Chris

the6thfinger

Sep 18, 2000
Texas, USA
www.shmeg.f2s.com
Behold my glory....

Well crapola. I wanted to paste a photograph of what i'm going to talk about, but can't get it to work :(.

I use a self-made game controller AND a mouse.

My controller does all of my character movement, jumping, weapon changing, feigning death and translocating. Since this controller doesn't need to be held, its quick to goto the keyboard and press a binded key or type.

I also REFUSE to use the keyboard/mouse combo. Keyboards are for typing not gaming!

I can do any move/possible combination at once. Its almost like I have an extra finger... Hmmmmm....

PS. If someone can tell me how to paste a pic in netscape i'll give you all a peek! (CTRL+C then CTRL+V doesn't work BTW)

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Cut & Paste

Hmm. Well the new Windows 98 method for pasting a graphic is using the good ol' Print Screen button. Just hit that and then go to the desktop, right-click and select new bitmap. You should be able to paste it there.

turnip

Sep 18, 2000
WASD
with weap binds around it
mouse1/mouse2 for pri/alt fire
space for jump
big thumb button (on ms intelli) for drop weap
shift for centerview
the numpad for teamsay bindings

mouse wheels suck!

dubie scoo

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
this is probably similar to alot of other players, but thats most likely because its simple and effective.

w,s,a,d = movement keys
space= jump
left mouse= primary fire
right mouse= sec. fire
mouse scroll= weapons change
center mouse button= translocator

some dont like the fire button on the mouse because it throws off your shot when moving. it doesnt seeme to bother me. hope i helped