New screenshots!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Very cool, but one might almost mistake the Hellbender for the scorpion, at least judging by the first shot, not so much with the second.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
SirYawnalot said:
I'm with Selerox actually (though I wouldn't have been so heavy with the drama ;P), the fact that most of what we see in these screenshots was only new to us before last E3 is pretty insulting.
Did they owe you anything ?
I'm certain they don't ... so quit whining.

I can see where Midway are coming from, that too much hype can kill anything, but a main issue with the Unreal Tournament series is that not enough people have played it, or are even aware of it- or aren't interested after UT2003. ....
Ever considered that the genre/game-style that UT-series represents is a mere niche-game ?
That the kind of people that would want to know already know ?
And that there simply won't be any new players ? Or that the near-release hype will be good enough to attract them ?
Considering the expected minimum requirements I doubt there are many people that would want to upgrade for a boring old game like this. Especially now that even Warfare/Conquest appears to be a slightly improved Onslaught ...

Selerox said:
Sorry, but is that it?!

Months of nothing, and then we get 5 new screens, which show very little useful information. So we get a look at the Hellbender in the old, tech demo map? Does that give us any info on the actual game? Not a chance. Also, we all know the engine looks good, so showing us stills from the tech demo from the last E3 is a hollow gesture of almost insulting proportions.

Epic and Midway cannot do marketing :tdown:

well maybe like... they dont want to spoil everything for us, you know? not like they owe you information, they can give however much out they please, and by giving out as little as possible I think they are doing the right thing. I'd like to hop into the game and be surprised by as many things as possible.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
You're missing the point...

Bang Yr Head said:
well maybe like... they dont want to spoil everything for us, you know? not like they owe you information, they can give however much out they please, and by giving out as little as possible I think they are doing the right thing. I'd like to hop into the game and be surprised by as many things as possible.

Not over-hyping a game is fair enough. But there's a difference between not over-hyping a game, and just not telling anybody about it. The game will not attract any new players if only people inside the UT community know about it.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
JaFO said:
Did they owe you anything ?
I'm certain they don't ... so quit whining.
UT isn't freeware, that argument doesn't really apply here.
Anyway, after the initial feeling of seeing the same things yet again has worn off a bit, I don't feel quite so insulted- it's probably just a prelude to a whole lot more in the run to E3.

JaFO said:
Ever considered that the genre/game-style that UT-series represents is a mere niche-game ?
Given how well every game in the UT series has apparently sold compared with the amount of players we know continue to play it by the online numbers, I think it's a given that people really need to be sold over on this one. You could argue that the previous sales record indicates that people will continue to buy it regardless, I'd reply that if people really haven't been enjoying the last few UTs, they'll need a *lot* of justification to give it another try. The strong sales themselves (if true; I admittedly lack evidence) prove this "niche" genre still generates plenty of interest.
Also, as has been said before, a lot of gamers you talk to haven't heard of UT2007 (I don't think even my old schoolfriends have, who were avid devotees of the original UT). Marketting ain't doing its job.

JaFO said:
Considering the expected minimum requirements I doubt there are many people that would want to upgrade for a boring old game like this. Especially now that even Warfare/Conquest appears to be a slightly improved Onslaught ...
Ah, my turn to have a bitch at you now. :p
War Tourist said on INA very recently that they're still brainstorming ideas for Warfare; the extended-ONS idea was one of many. AFAIK they still haven't made a decision.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Sijik said:
Very cool, but one might almost mistake the Hellbender for the scorpion, at least judging by the first shot, not so much with the second.

How can anyone mistake that thing for the Scorpion, the new Hellbender is twice its size and has two huge gun barrels on the top!
Has anyone notice that all the Axon vehicles look like their a part of a fleet of vehicles made by only one company (unlike UT2k4)!

Last edited:

BadAss84

BadAss[zero]
May 21, 2003
UK
Selerox said:
Sorry, but is that it?!

Months of nothing, and then we get 5 new screens, which show very little useful information. So we get a look at the Hellbender in the old, tech demo map? Does that give us any info on the actual game? Not a chance. Also, we all know the engine looks good, so showing us stills from the tech demo from the last E3 is a hollow gesture of almost insulting proportions.

Epic and Midway cannot do marketing :tdown:

Selerox said:
Not over-hyping a game is fair enough. But there's a difference between not over-hyping a game, and just not telling anybody about it. The game will not attract any new players if only people inside the UT community know about it.

Agreed :tup:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Mr. UglyPants said:
Has anyone notice that all the Axon vehicles look like their a part of a fleet of vehicles made by only one company (unlike UT2k4)!

It's maybe because it's the Axon Team vehicles. Heh.
I am not sure what they plan to come up with the Necris team, but it might look Red/black-ish

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
but thats why the Hellbender resembles the scorpion a little!

I too wonder what the Necris team vehicles & player models will look like, as long as i see some Necris Aliens & Brock look-a-likes (from UC2) i'll be happy!!

I really hope that the Necris vehicles look kick ass mean and demonic, so evil looking that it looks like it can eat you if you get run over by it!

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
I just noticed in the shot of the bender on the road signs in the backround it has a symbol of a raptor and a arrow pointing up....nice little touches like that really give a game a good edge.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
SlipStreams_65 said:
I just noticed in the shot of the bender on the road signs in the backround it has a symbol of a raptor and a arrow pointing up....nice little touches like that really give a game a good edge.

yeah and you wanna know the really ammusing part? the picture is of the UT2004 raptor, not the UT2007 one.... kinda wierd

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Mr. UglyPants said:
Wasn't thinking of it like that, but it makes sense. I suppose it is better than having a bunch of vehicles that look like they were purchased on the black market :p.

Theman2k

May 31, 2005
EggBoy said:
yeah and you wanna know the really ammusing part? the picture is of the UT2004 raptor, not the UT2007 one.... kinda wierd

Yeah i noticed that too.
I really hate when they do things like , it looks like they don't have the power to work on the little things right, i hope it will be changes but i dought it.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Mr. UglyPants said:
How can anyone mistake that thing for the Scorpion, the new Hellbender is twice its size and has two huge gun barrels on the top!

Just at a glance, they've got the same basic shape. Probably more a product of expecting to see something like the 2k4 style Hellbender and seeing a bigger Scorpion instead threw me off. Not saying it's a bad decision, they just look a bit samey. The Hellbender never struck me as avehicle that should be worried about being streamlined, and I always kinda' liked the sheer red-neckness of it as a humvee with a gun in the back. Now it's a more sophisticated design more what it "should" look like as a military assault vehicle, instead of being a badass toy in a sporting event.
Take that however you want, there're pros and cons for each that I can think of, and I haven't decided on a judgement call for it yet...

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Theman2k said:
Yeah i noticed that too.
I really hate when they do things like , it looks like they don't have the power to work on the little things right, i hope it will be changes but i dought it.

You want them to change the shilouette of a raptor because it's not 100% accurate?
It's a little thing that, if you don't notice, you don't care, if you do notice, you smile a bit. Why on earth would you care enough to want them to change it?
To me the little things = Getting gameplay right.
If i understand a visual joke then i smile, i don't criticise it for it's inaccuracy to modern day appearances.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
shadow_dragon said:
You want them to change the shilouette of a raptor because it's not 100% accurate?
It's a little thing that, if you don't notice, you don't care, if you do notice, you smile a bit. Why on earth would you care enough to want them to change it?
To me the little things = Getting gameplay right.
If i understand a visual joke then i smile, i don't criticise it for it's inaccuracy to modern day appearances.
Couldn't some of it be due in part to the fact that they have probably been working on this since UT2004 was released, and thus not have even known what the new raptor would look like when they made the texture?