New PC components

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
More precisely; Do you want to play any opengl games? If so, nvidia.

Goddamn ati sucks at it. :mad:

Correction: UT3's 1st-person weapon positioning is ****ed for any resolution not 4:3'ish, due to the relevant code sucking. Pure laziness on Epic's part, if you ask me.

Is there a mutator to change that?

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Is there a mutator to change that?
IIRC it's the one of the parent classes for weapons that holds that code, so no, you'd have to replace all weapons. (and all mod/mutator weapons wouldn't support it)

I'd rather play with weapons off than at a ****ty res. O wait, I would be playing with weapons hidden on a 4:3 res too.
Sorry, you just missed Point.

He went that way ---->

Alright guys. What would you recommend for a 1440x900 wuss like I? :crysmile:
If you're running a desktop, damnit get 1680x945 / x1080 minimum

But for laptops 1440x900 definitely does not make you a wuss. My cousin runs at that, and he's pretty badass.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
It's personal preference, I'm sure, but I can't understand why everyone is buying nVidia these days. I have an ATI HD5850 and it runs everything I throw at it on max settings. At the time it was $100 cheaper than nVidia's comparable offering, of which didn't even perform as well as my card in game benchmarks.

I'm not saying nVidia is bad or anything, but I don't see the appeal in spending more money for a product that generally performs less than it's comparable rival card. I might be wrong in this assumption but it definitely seems like nVidia's cards frequently cost more and only perform as good or worse than ATI's comparable cards.

Also, 1920x1080 for the ****ing win. I could never go back to 720p (read: consoles) after playing high-end games on my new rig.

What I want here isn't a fully crisp gaming experience on a 40 FPS AVG, but a 60 FPS experience MINIMUM.

Then buy an HD5850. You won't be disappointed. Every game on the shelf runs at max settings @ 1920x1080 60fps steady. Except for Crysis, but that one is a given, and it's close enough to 60fps anyways. On top of that, the HD5850's price point is currently so attractive that you'd be a fool not to at least consider it.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It's personal preference, I'm sure, but I can't understand why everyone is buying nVidia these days. I have an ATI HD5850 and it runs everything I throw at it on max settings. At the time it was $100 cheaper than nVidia's comparable offering, of which didn't even perform as well as my card in game benchmarks.

Because both Nvidia and ATI are neck and neck and ATI drivers suck. Obviously in times when there is a disparity, the cheapest always wins, but right now, Nvidia wins the performance crown flat out and when it comes to bang for buck in the mid range, there is no clear winner.

~Jason

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Because both Nvidia and ATI are neck and neck and ATI drivers suck. Obviously in times when there is a disparity, the cheapest always wins, but right now, Nvidia wins the performance crown flat out and when it comes to bang for buck in the mid range, there is no clear winner.

Small sample size here, but the only issues with the AMD drivers I've had was Borderlands locking up with VSynch for a couple versions and the weird glitch they had with PopCap games not drawing to the screen properly a while back. In general, I've just learned to not upgrade my drivers unless it fixes a particular game, offers performance improvements, or new functionality.

I'm pretty much in agreement with DarkED though. The 5850 and higher cards are more that ample for today's games, they draw less power, and are quieter than the Fermi cards were when they launched (I think I've read the newer Fermis have better power usage and fans).

It's not like Nvidia's drivers are perfect either.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK

To be fair that Nvidia driver cock-up was rare for them and they fixed it quickly and had it pulled.

I use both Nvidia and ATi and ATi does seem to just have fail programmed into it. Especially with black ops where i struggled to push 30FPS at 800x600 on ATi, I had 0 issues running 60FPS 1920x1200 on nvidia with cards that put out roughly the same FPS in other games, UT3 for example.

I guess it's really personal preference but I wouldn't go ATi again.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Then buy an HD5850. You won't be disappointed.

Already did on this system, remember? It didn't work, I was disappointed. Not that it is the card's fault, but I'm not looking to buy ATi stuff again.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I've never had problems with ATI drivers and games.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Seriously, 10/10, would 'lolwut' again

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
So your 3 [out of thousands] implies that Asus motherboards are unreliable? You had a run of bad luck, it happens. I too had an A8N32-SLI, and it's been rock solid since release day, along with every other Asus board I owned.

Neither of us can conclude that Asus boards are reliable or unreliable based on the few we owned. But the thousands of positive customer reviews out there certainly speak volumes.

Why didn't you add both of my boards to this? Also, when was the last time they have released new chipset drivers for it? Oh that's right! They quickly stopped supporting it because the mobo was such a failboat of ****tiness.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

~Jason

Eh... I think it's more fair to say that ATI's drivers DID suck, because they're pretty solid nowadays (even in Linux - imagine my surprise.) I never have to worry about which drivers are the best for which game because all games run pretty good no matter what version of Catalyst I'm running. I've upgraded to every new release since 10.6 (we're now up to 10.12) and I have experienced no decrease in quality or performance in any of the games I regularly play. I have, however, noticed slight increases in performance on very new games.

The new CCC that is currently in beta is also pretty good. It's at least as good as nVidia's control panel, which may not be saying much :D

Small sample size here, but the only issues with the AMD drivers I've had was Borderlands locking up with VSynch for a couple versions and the weird glitch they had with PopCap games not drawing to the screen properly a while back. In general, I've just learned to not upgrade my drivers unless it fixes a particular game, offers performance improvements, or new functionality.

I played Borderlands for some time with all settings turned on (including vsync) and never experienced any lockups or crashes. What's your other hardware? Catalyst version? I could test on my own system to see if I get similar results.

There is one thing I really don't like about ATI, and that is the GLSL implementation. GLSL on ATI is apparently much more strict than it is on nVidia, so if GLSL applications aren't coded properly they will crash on startup. It's definitely not a deal breaker and I've only had a problem with one specific application; a GLSL shader library for Minecraft. The problem was eventually fixed so it's irrelevant to me now.

I'm pretty much in agreement with DarkED though. The 5850 and higher cards are more that ample for today's games, they draw less power, and are quieter than the Fermi cards were when they launched (I think I've read the newer Fermis have better power usage and fans).

Yeah, at the time that was the biggest selling point for me besides the low price; I already knew that this card would run everything at max detail, but I was building a new rig on a budget so I wanted a card that wasn't too power-hungry.

To be fair that Nvidia driver cock-up was rare for them and they fixed it quickly and had it pulled.

I use both Nvidia and ATi and ATi does seem to just have fail programmed into it. Especially with black ops where i struggled to push 30FPS at 800x600 on ATi, I had 0 issues running 60FPS 1920x1200 on nvidia with cards that put out roughly the same FPS in other games, UT3 for example.

I guess it's really personal preference but I wouldn't go ATi again.

Well, from what I've heard Black Ops is problematic on a lot of cards from both manufacturers (as well as on the consoles?)

Already did on this system, remember? It didn't work, I was disappointed. Not that it is the card's fault, but I'm not looking to buy ATi stuff again.

Sorry, I must have missed that, or forgot. Why didn't it work?

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
So your 3 [out of thousands] implies that Asus motherboards are unreliable? You had a run of bad luck, it happens. I too had an A8N32-SLI, and it's been rock solid since release day, along with every other Asus board I owned.

Neither of us can conclude that Asus boards are reliable or unreliable based on the few we owned. But the thousands of positive customer reviews out there certainly speak volumes.

One is bad luck, three is a trend.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I played Borderlands for some time with all settings turned on (including vsync) and never experienced any lockups or crashes. What's your other hardware? Catalyst version? I could test on my own system to see if I get similar results.

Oh it's been resolved. I think it was the 10.3 - 10.5 drivers that had VSync issues with the game. I forget exactly.