New PC Build!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
So I'm looking to finally upgrade in the new year and replace my i5 6500.

Overclockers have, what seems like some pretty nice 9900k bundles for around the £1000 mark which will give me new CPU, Motherboard and RAM (with a free SSD or NVMe)

I'm stuggling to work out if I should replace my Zotac 1070 with a 2080 at the same time (the Ti is a little bit out of my price range) or if I keep the 1070 until later next year.

I won't be 4k gaming for a little while anyway, I'm on a 29" ultrawide monitor with a 2560 x 1080 resolution so I'm wondering if I keep my 1070 and just wait or if I bite the bullet now.

I'm mainly playing PUBG and now BFV with some older titles from time to time.

Thoughts?

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
To be honest, I'd say leave upgrading altogether for what you're playing, and at that resolution. CPU upgrades aren't making much impact really, and a GPU upgrade will probably not be that noticeable without a resolution bump. My 3rd gen i5 paired with a 970 is still handling everything I've tried at 1440p, though admittedly I've not tried BFV. My personal recommendation would be to bank the cash until you can afford to upgrade the lot, so then you can make it more noticeable, and make it last you that bit longer as well. Just my personal view though.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
That's a good point. For everything but BFV I can still set everything to ultra (I think!) BFV is the first title I've had to switch down to high and turn off DX12 to get a consistent 70FPS.

The other upgrades will be replacing WD Green drives with WD Black/Blues ones as first map loads in PUBG mean I miss the first drop and end up waiting in a loading screen for a couple of minutes.

The idea of going to a 9900k now means I'll have a pretty decent rig for a good number of years where as I've had an OK rig before

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
UPDATE!

Finally bit the bullet and went for a 3900X with a Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite and 16GB RAM. Keeping the 1070 until next year as all the games seem to be ok at 1080p.

Reason to do it now was Warzone was bottlenecked by the i5 6500

Last edited:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
It has been well over a year now and I'm still holding the 1070 and waiting, and waiting it appears.

Part of me wants to hold out for a Founders Edition over the 3rd party choices and I'm thinking of holding for a 3080, maybe.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
The GPU market has gone totally insane. I ended up getting a laptop, had a few other reasons involving possible future plans where it made sense, and it was the best value way to get a modern GPU. Ended up with an 11th gen i7, 1.5tb ssd storage, 16gb ram and an RTX 3060. quite a nice step up from the old 3rd gen i5 and 970 combo.

Jeembo

Nov 30, 2023
gritrsports.com
Epic bump! Upgraded my GPU to a 7900XTX this past week and things are flying along and looking pretty.
Did you have to upgrade powersupply for it? I'm thinking about treating myself to RTX4090, but doubt I can get away with it with my 700W one :D Gonna need to upgrade that too most likely