New Gears of War 2 Multiplayer Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A few print magazines are set to hit the stands with fresh Gears of War 2 multiplayer information. Naturally, the internet is standing by ready to scoop them with their own content. 1Up cannibalizes (or perhaps teases) its stable-mate EGM with a few nuggets. The Opposable Thumbs column at Arstechnica and Videogamer reveal a few more by way of UK magazine X360. Finally, ShackNews returns to the EGM well to draw out even more.

So what's the short version? Check it out:

• new game type: Wingman (2v2v2 deathmatch)
  • new game type: Meatflag (capture the opposing team AI controlled team member)
  • revamped game type: Guardian (kill the opposing team's leader)
  • Will ship with 12 multiplayer maps including River and Security and revised maps Gridlock and Subway.
  • new weapons: Scorcher (flamethrower), Gorgon Burst Pistol, new superweapons
  • 5 vs. 5 play maximum
  • multiple finishing moves: curbstomp, body shield, weapon-specific kill, and a "full-on assault on the enemy's face."
  • Epic considering multiplayer bots
  • A possible "take action pics for points" element

It certainly sounds like Epic is packing in plenty of new stuff for round two.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
A possible "take action pics for points" element

w00t!?!! :y5:

This sounds like a bad joke... Up till now I kept reading the list like "yay the next one will be even cooler" and it worked 'till the very end. :violin:

...but whatever, since there will be bots, that's really made my day! :)

Oh wait, NVM - the PC release date is yet in a galaxy far far away from here... :flame:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
i already said it over on epic's own forums but bots in multiplayer would be really awesome. especially for someone like me who gets their ass kicked over and over again online cause i just suck at aiming with a controller :lol:
i hope it's gonna be like UT's instant action and not with some stupid restriction like you need at least 2 players for the bots to fill up empty player slots :D
so apart from the seemingly increased gore of the game everything i've read so far is really cool. now they just need to announce the pc version as well ;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Great, I wanted some bots in Gears. I hope they put them in the game. Other things sound cool too, can't wait for the Scorcher.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Epic considering multiplayer bots

Yes please please DO IT.
Altough I do immagine how this is going to be a challenge. Especially the combat and "Move to tactical point" like the sniper tower in Gridlock, will the bots take it seriously that someone has a sniper in hand and their little pop'y heads are exposed?

And fix the editor for pc please.

Last edited:

skullkrusher101

Jan 21, 2008
bots sound great but we're basicaly getting 10 new maps and 2 remakes of 2 of my least favorite maps. yay. that blows.

one of the biggest drawbacks to the original game was the limited multiplayer maps to choose from. and with no user generated content thats an even bigger problem.

This better be one hell of a SP campaign. and even if it is, its the multiplayer that provides long term replayability anyway.

everything else looks great though. capture the meat flag, lol.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Bots would indeed be great.
I really can't imagine an Epic-game without bots to use as targets and teammates.

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
I'm surprised how ppl want bots so badly when they say bots have horrible skills.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's the way they are going to program them. It's all about programmers and ambitions.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I'm surprised how ppl want bots so badly when they say bots have horrible skills.

the ppl and they are not the same group ... ;)

Besides ... even if the bots suck when compared to humans they're still better than no teammates or opponents at all.
And then there's the fact that you can at least rely on bots to shut up and play the ff-ing game ...

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I am so happy about the news that bots will be in Gears 2 ... that will really extend its already great replay value for those of use who don't play online and potentially really expand the Gears modding community. Its good news for everyone ... Epic will get even more gamers to check this out and will help to grow the modding elements of Gears and we finally get bots to play against. Man that is gonna be amazing. Especially since each of the locusts creatures has unique behavioral traits and special skills. This is going to be quite a step above the bots in UT games. Great news!

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
^ Or those who don't want to wait on Friday night to play their own creation once online.