New Corrupt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
If you ask me Xan needs his own head. That tinbox you covered the face in just isn't true to Xan's original armor. Too high and honestly looks like a can squished over the head.

But I do like the back of his armor. Though it needs green light hehe :)

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
The aspect ration really is important to getting that Xan look. well Xan2k4 look anway. The original xan with his carry handle aren't all that great. :)

XanHelm_09-06-08.jpg

rebuilt helmet. Due to the odd aspect ratio I'm going to have to make "forhelmet" heads, but thats ok. Means I can do the other odd helms I was thinking of.

albatross

Sep 28, 2008
no...keep them that length! Or do both as helmet types... Anyway, alls I can say is that the Tensor model looks awesome!!

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Thanks. Yes I'm going to keep them that length. There was a concept pic of xan for ut2k4 that had long antennae/horns like that but they were bent in the final model. I always liked the look, so I'm going to keep em that way. I may do a bent horn option. They are a "goggles" choice anyway so they can be swapped out and or not used at all.

Getting these guys in game now, so just need to do some painting then they'll be done. The low poly section is going surprisingly easy

What I want in the pack, that I'm not sure I'll have time for is overall 5+ characters.

Xan - Done (chest armor inspired by Magach 7 tank)
Tensor - Face done, needs torso shoulders, head extras, possibly legs (armor based on Merkava tank)
Warboss - Needs: Face, Torso, Shoulders, Legs, Head extras, Possibly arms
WarGrunt - Needs Face
Godel - Needs: everything. (Idea is cyborg trooper inspired by Gorn from UT1. Only human part left is his face, and he's having trouble with that.) Could get by with just face

I also want some torso armor based on the T-72 or T-80 tank turrets. I dig the front skirting.

Last edited:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Looks great. Can't wait for textures heh.

But I'd say let Xan's helmet(horns in particular) skew inwards at the top a little bit. And his hands. They need more breadth. They look a tad wimpy for his size.

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Well thats the unsmoothed version, so its a few hundred thousand.
Smoothed version is over 3million, often causing my maya to crash. lol

Actually its not the polycount, which isn't that high by modern standards, its something in the dataset that causes it to go into an infinite, or very long loop, and run out of memory.

I've crashed maya SOO much during this model process. Baking the maps sometimes crashes it too if I have too many subobjects to consider. I just watch the program get up over 1.6GB of RAM usage, then it either crashes or fails baking the maps as its "out of memory". heh.

Getting there though Working on the low poly arms currently. Will post screenies once the full characters are available in game. Its gonna look good. :)

Edit: Realized I hadn't posted this image yet. Even it is old, as I have xan's head built for under the helm, and just without the helm too. Different vibe than tensor, but much more robotic than the last version. Last one was just boring.
Xan_Armor_Complete.jpg

further edit:
Low poly base arm with normal map. 1512 tris
CorruptBase_LPArm.jpg

Tired now darnit. Want to finish Xan's arm, but I guess I'll wait till morning.

Last edited:

albatross

Sep 28, 2008
you can cook things for Unreal in Maya?! Thank you Jesus:) For some reason I thought you could only use Max but I have Maya 8 and I will be taking a character modeling class next quarter in school...my life just got better!

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Albatross: Yes you can make things for unreal in maya. The actor x plugin is on the UDN website udn.epicgames.com The UT3 skeletons were converted to maya in part by me, and are available from my website via a link on this forum in the tutorials and whatever secton.

Slaughter: Thanks. I wanted him to look like a tank. Its mobile, Its heavily armed, Your weapons are ineffective, and its very mad at you.

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
after more crashing of maya and workarounds and internet problems (lol been a busy weekend) we're getting there. All the game res pieces are made, mapped, bound, and in the editor, so its on to texturing at long last
and a xan money shot since I decided to get the emissive working first
XanHead.jpg

Bofrazz

Skilled Skinner
Oct 7, 2004
Long time no see...

Hey V, the frazz man here!

First off, brilliant work. It tickles me to no end to see you and these other fabulous die-hards are still at it! Considering the limitations that you're facing from maya you've done a phenominal job. Really top notch stuff. I have no doubt yer gonna kill the texture too. I just finished my 1st professionally produced title and am looking to sharpen my skillz again. Seeing you and Slaughter in action has inspired me to start work on my 1st UT3 character too. I'll start pimpin' soon enough, but I just had to pay some respek. Hit me up bro.

-Bofrazz-

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Still lots to go, but the major parts are there. Diffuse, Spec, Glow, normal
Xan_Head_tex_wip.jpg

Needs a dirtying pass and more detailing, but Its time for some sleep.

The bronze material around the eye part looks great in motion. :) I managed to just nail the specular for that material type on the first go.Can't see it too great in this pic, but it makes me want to add more bronze to the rest of the model.

Anyway tired for now, but finishing soon. Oh and curved horns as an option by your request. ;)