New BU Poll! The UT3 UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We've got a new poll up this evening. Our last poll Favorite UT3 Bonus Pack 1 Map ended with Face pulling in a large 58% of the vote, Searchlight coming in second with 27% and Morbias bringing up the tail with a measly 15%.

The new poll asks the question, would you play more UT3 if the UI was drastically changed? Give it a vote and let us know your reasoning in the Comments thread!

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Probably not. But if it got a lot of other people playing, of course.

I doubt anything could change the facts now, but if this mystical "better UI" had been there from the beginning I do think a lot more people would be playing right now.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
In before the :flame: start.
Weird poll, with weird choices.

In any case, it's not the UI that stopped me playing... which is not saying a better UI wouldn't go amiss.
(UI was just an annoyance on the way to playing)

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
istockphoto_298677_can_o_worms.jpg

Anyway... yea the UI is pretty crappy -- but frankly that shouldn't keep people away from playing the game.

It is detracting from the "curb appeal" of the game... as it's not leading new gamers to the promised land as originally expected. But apart from missing functions and not being entirely streamlined -- it's not bad. It's just nothing near what Unreal Tournament Gamers come to expect... and definitely nothing near what we'd flaunt to other communities about.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
A bad GUI will make it take longer to get into a game, but once inside, you'll be playing as long as you would with the perfect GUI.
In other words, if a bad GUI makes you play less... that's just silly. :)
Well, unless you're so annoyed by it that you're afraid to even start the game executable I suppose.

W

WorpeX

Im not really sure actually. One of the reasons I played UT2004 so much was because I loved all of the custom characters and the awesome bot support it had. I really enjoyed picking my favourite characters from the slide and fighting it out with them. The current UI doesn't really have very good support for Bots... can't see their images and all their names are so similar that I have no idea who is who. Can't change which bots are on what team either.

But, on the other hand, there really isn't any custom models for UT3 that I like right now. (not that they aren't any good, I just perfer more original designs. Like Kou Ryu, Junkyard Mech and and Deinonychus)

So, I've been just waiting it out until something awesome happens with UT3. Sadly, nothing has really sparked my interest yet. : /

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
I just don't get why a Join tab was added but no Spectate tab in Patch 1.2. They go hand in hand somewhat.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I don't play it as much as i would like because the majority of my clan mates and friends either can't run it on there pos systems or they don't care for it

I personally like the game but I want to play with people I know and enjoy gaming with!!

Ogs

Da Bomb
Mar 3, 2006
The UI doesnt stop me from playing (the gameplays great as it ever was), but its quite obvious when you first load it up that its blerh, cheap n tacky like UT'03. They need to remake it like they did with 03 to 04 (04 was alot like 99, straight forward and clean, UT3 just looks WOAH DUDE KILL *twang*).

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
The UI isn't the one and only blocker for me, but yes, I'd play more. If I could add favorite with copy-paste of arbitrary IP... for instance. If game remembered last played map and settings for bots, etc. Yes.

Now it's a bit more complicated... because it's IF better UI AND more players online. I'd say there would be more of them if the UI had been better.

There is one thing that's better in UT3 in UI. You can set ambience volume, that rocks. But that's about it. ;-) Nothing else is better than before and most is worse.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
The artistic look of the UI is fine IMO, but art being the subjective thing that it is, it's fairly inconsequential as it concerns the "Would you play more?" question. The functionality, however, is crucial, and on that score, anyone who's familiar with previous UT games can only find it to be lacking. It would seem there's no doubt that at least finishing the UI work, if not necessarily redesigning it from scratch, could only serve to add more fishies to the pool.

The real question though, is does Epic care? You'd figure they would only be satisfied with their work when there is improvement from one generation to the next. But here we sit nearly five months in, still lacking such basic features as Ctrl-X/C/V cut/copy/paste, mid-game voting, a drop to spectate option, a direct Add to Favorites command, a right-click menu in the server browser, or just the simple ability to view the server browser without first disconnecting from a game ... god how the list just goes on and on ... and on.

They're all so terribly simple, many of them no more complicated than wiring a GUI element to a console command, which makes their absence all the more glaring, and not to mention, all the more telling about Epic's concern about the issue. But hey, we really should understand when they dump the PC work off to the side while readying up the 360 port, shouldn't we ... gotta rake those quick easy millions, after all.

Funny to hear the boasting about all the masterful multithreading capabilities of the new engine, while the UT3 folks themselves get totally crippled with thread-block when it comes time to push out another console port as the PC version continues to sit there unfinished. Almost as funny as hearing the boasts about the game having "already" outsold UT2004, as if that incongruous comparison were the least bit valid.

Now, having ranted all that ... I can only hope they'll make a fool of me tomorrow with a Patch 1.3 release.

... tick ... tock ...

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I don't mind the UI as much as the forced background map. Even if the UI design went completely unchanged making it an overlay like in every previous Unreal title would be much more efficient.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I would vote if the options are visible on the poll :p

Anyway no, the UI didn't really annoy me that much. I just don't care about it.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I actually quite like the look of the UI it's just that there's no point having a good looking UI if it's not functional and intuitive.

By the way, amount of options and so forth aren't part of the the UI, or?
When referring to the User Interface we're talking about the looks, layout and usability?

I know I said the options weren't too good... but c'mon guys. :p
GreatPoll.png

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
*sniff*

Forget the UI - the game crashes every 15 minutes when I start to have fun anyway :(