My first UT2003 map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SOB]bAd ChIcKeN

Free-Range Pain the Ass
Feb 6, 2001
www.sobservers.com
Maya is Kick Ass! I use it alot on my Mac here at work but have yet to export a Static Mesh out, I don't think I can even with ActorX. A good site that has great Maya Tutorials is www.3dbuzz.com and here is a link HEREto some nice tutorials that helped me get over the n00b humps that Maya can present. I wont even start talking MEL script yet thats a whole other book.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I have to second Chicken's recommendation. Although I can't compare Maya to another program I can say that the tutorials on the 3d Buzz site are very nice. Well worth the downloads. They form a nice base to get started on.

As soon as I get my new machine this weekend I plan to dive in. Not saying it will make you into some 3d modelling god but it will certainly cut down on the time to learn the basics.

Edit: Through several steps and a few programs you can go from Gmax to Ued. Never tried it myself but I have read the tutorial on it. Also I don't know what kind of problems can occur. I have read it is realiable.

Last edited:

[SOB]bAd ChIcKeN

Free-Range Pain the Ass
Feb 6, 2001
www.sobservers.com
yepGmax is reliable, but you can't bake textures onto the SM, also the UV mapping is limited at best. But hey Gmax is free ;). Also if you plan on getting a book, stick to the Modeling ones, DO NOT get a Maya for Dummies or some such, spend the 50-60 bucks and get a book that will grow with you. I am curious to hear how it all turns out btw

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
[SOB]bAd ChIcKeN said:
yepGmax is reliable, but you can't bake textures onto the SM, also the UV mapping is limited at best. But hey Gmax is free ;). Also if you plan on getting a book, stick to the Modeling ones, DO NOT get a Maya for Dummies or some such, spend the 50-60 bucks and get a book that will grow with you. I am curious to hear how it all turns out btw

Just my £0.02 worth, but I think you really do need to be able to bake light maps if you want to do serious mapping for UT2k3 (I can't, and I haven't :p).

Old Geezer

Apr 16, 2001
London, UK
www.geezerstudios.co.uk
Vega-don said:
hey old geezer i asked you in the thread you made about the map in dev (a city) , if i could Eas macedonia night , and theires details of the layout...

waiting your answer ;)

Hope you got my message, here it is again - feel free to make an EAS version of Macedonia and any other of my pre-INF team maps (BosnianWinter etc). Good luck!

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
great news ! i want the newbies to know where we have been fighting before 2.9!

it will take me some time to make it since i want to do only BADASS convertions, and i dont know how to use all the possibilities yet
i'll PM you my work before any release