Music - Talk'n Old with OO7MIKE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
It's been over a decade of me not listening to music. Shocking I know!

Before you say "impossibru!" understand that its just me not turning to music as something enjoyable to help pass the time. I have "heard" music over the last decade in movies and tv shows, but i take little to know pleasure in it. I certainly didn't stop what i was watching to search for that song. I gave it up because I just stopped enjoying it.

Things have changed for me. Opened my eyes and ears to new experiences and tuned out the rest of the world so i could enjoy the best of what humans have accomplished.

In this journey of mine I rediscovered my old tunes. They once again deliver that which i thought i lost. These were college tunes on an old ipod. Remember those nostalgia devices? Well, it still worked and the battery holds a charge. I transferred all the music off of it, but more importantly, i started using the device like i did when i was in my 20's.

I bought some awesome speakers and a subwoofer. For the first time I started to FEEL the music instead of what i got with headphones. Its a very different experience. I've always tried to stay quiet and not disturb others around me. Got my own house now and i'm gonna crank it!

So I do!

But this is where the story changes. I have so much music to enjoy from the past. I did become curious about the decade and a half i missed. Turns out my favorite genre just kinda played itself out and doesn't really exist. At least, not how it used to.

I was really upset by this. Through some time and deep thought, I realized that this is the same kind of thing everyone at some point goes through. If you liked 80's rock, well thats it. That ended in the 90's. You don't really get more 80's style rock. It was a very specific sound and feel that some new groups try to bring back or are simply inspired by, but its not the same. It doesn't make it bad. It's just not the same.

So i suppose I'm just feel'n old and sad that even with my appreciation for music restored, i'm having a hard time enjoying anything new. It's just not giving me the feels like the older stuff. My wife clearly doesn't have this problem. I usually like to feel good and motivated when i listen, but sometimes feeling sad is ok.

So here I ask, what are you trying to get from music when you listen?

Reactions: Manticore

[P@!N]

Apr 14, 2023
It's been over a decade of me not listening to music. Shocking I know!

Before you say "impossibru!" understand that its just me not turning to music as something enjoyable to help pass the time. I have "heard" music over the last decade in movies and tv shows, but i take little to know pleasure in it. I certainly didn't stop what i was watching to search for that song. I gave it up because I just stopped enjoying it.

Things have changed for me. Opened my eyes and ears to new experiences and tuned out the rest of the world so i could enjoy the best of what humans have accomplished.

In this journey of mine I rediscovered my old tunes. They once again deliver that which i thought i lost. These were college tunes on an old ipod. Remember those nostalgia devices? Well, it still worked and the battery holds a charge. I transferred all the music off of it, but more importantly, i started using the device like i did when i was in my 20's.

I bought some awesome speakers and a subwoofer. For the first time I started to FEEL the music instead of what i got with headphones. Its a very different experience. I've always tried to stay quiet and not disturb others around me. Got my own house now and i'm gonna crank it!

So I do!

But this is where the story changes. I have so much music to enjoy from the past. I did become curious about the decade and a half i missed. Turns out my favorite genre just kinda played itself out and doesn't really exist. At least, not how it used to.

I was really upset by this. Through some time and deep thought, I realized that this is the same kind of thing everyone at some point goes through. If you liked 80's rock, well thats it. That ended in the 90's. You don't really get more 80's style rock. It was a very specific sound and feel that some new groups try to bring back or are simply inspired by, but its not the same. It doesn't make it bad. It's just not the same.

So i suppose I'm just feel'n old and sad that even with my appreciation for music restored, i'm having a hard time enjoying anything new. It's just not giving me the feels like the older stuff. My wife clearly doesn't have this problem. I usually like to feel good and motivated when i listen, but sometimes feeling sad is ok.

So here I ask, what are you trying to get from music when you listen?
Dude... It's like I checked my email today just to answer this question.

You know, I also stopped listening to music. Not for ten years, mind you, but for three weeks. I have to say, I am really impressed with you, man...

During that time, I found a lot of things interesting, to say the least. I came out of it and only listened to music succinctly. I set aside time to listen to it and it alone. I meditated with it. I found some really weird things on YouTube that I never heard of before, and I was in awe...

I started to feel the music too, in a way. I was more inspired, more involved with it. I didn't listen just to have something playing anymore, and haven't since then. I got to the conclusion... Kind of like what you've come up with, that I really liked my old stuff. I like things from my childhood, which, go figure... Largely Unreal and UT99 OSTs, and definitely more from the early days of my life. I realized there's nothing like that out there either... So... I started to create those things.

See-- I realized partway through my music career-- yes I am a musician-- that I only liked listening to artists that have something I like because it's what I'd like to use... But not necessarily that I like it as a whole-- just that it leads to something that I like. So I came back to my old stuff and I found it had all that energy and more... Immediately I knew I had to do something like it.

So I started making music inspired by and founded upon the music of UT99 and the likes. And

What I would say I'm trying to get from music I listen to is exactly that, that same sense of childish ease and wonder that I got from the olden days... And to figure out how I can use it for myself.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Its become more integrated into my life now. I bought better speakers for my office and for work. Even installed a subwoofer in my car. My kids don't talk much in my car now, because its more fun to feel the music.