Most Ignorant UT review ever.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Actally...

It's about equivalent, both are instantaneos hit scan... I think it just seems like it takes longer, between lag, and you see the scan. You don't see the sniper scan, so it feels faster. As well, the damage difference is noticable. Rails do 100, dunno if they do more for heads...

Another thing about rails though, is that they go through. This can make it better for the less skilled, 'cause every so often you get lucky, and get 2. At the same time, it could take skill to plan it that way more. I do both, I'm somewhere between with it right now. It does promote spammin' it in heavily conjested areas. Neither are really as skill dominated as they are ping dominated... speaking from a multiplayer inet stand point.

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
Originally posted by Metakill

Actually, the Railgun in Q3A is harder to use than the sniper-rifle. The railgun waits a half-second after you press the button before firing. Frankly, this annoys me, but it is a fair tradeoff for the lethality of the weapon, and does require skill.

Never played any of the Quake games, so I would not know. Is it like the Venom Gun in RTCW that is very powerful but takes half a second to spin up?

That reviewer ought to get kicked in the face. "Key-driven interface"? WTF??

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by Metakill

Actually, the Railgun in Q3A is harder to use than the sniper-rifle. The railgun waits a half-second after you press the button before firing. Frankly, this annoys me, but it is a fair tradeoff for the lethality of the weapon, and does require skill.

It kinda reminds me of instagib...which seems to have that wierd lag after you fire, which drives me nuts. :)

-I_AM{skullface}

OM {god}

holding his floppy
Feb 25, 2002
darwen
www.one-man-and-his-monkey.vze.com
WOW

WOW
how much crap does this reviewer wanna talk!!
<----------------------this much?------------------------------>

nah way more than that

this little ho has never experienced the joys of making your own maps!!!
the feeling you get from putting a little piece of you into every machine in the country (metaphorically speakin)

obviously i can only speak 4 myself but i say we hang, draw and quarter the little sh1t!!!!!!!!

OM {god} (not associated with GODZ)

:y5: www.one-man-and-his-monkey.vze.com

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
On the contrary....

In U1, I used zoom religiously. The fov bit.... fov 20 was awesome.

With an RL, especially a quake RL, useless, yes.

With an Eightball gun, instant locks... beautiful.. I miss it, 'cause I still lock rockets like a fiend, and it takes time now.

Sekhmet

the Destroyer
Oct 16, 2001
Memphis, Egypt
www.carpeimperium.com
yeah, i agree. 3 rockets homing in on a player are dangerous, esp. when he's close to a wall or is surprise. Hears missiles coming, boom too late.
Scope on a RL is dumb, looks wrong and is useless. In Q3A you can zoom with every weapon, not realistic. But i don't care what he said, UT ownz and we know it. Probably a kid of 13 or some Q3A addict *gasp* :D

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Actually, that's what I was saying...

Scope with all weapons isn't that unrealistic. It comes with the armor in any Tribes game.

And what I meant was scope with a Quake RL, is useless.

Scope with an eightball gun in U1, or UT is awesome. That's what I meant by instant locks. Allow FOV in your ini, then try it in a practice. Damn near the instant you zoom on somone, you get tone.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Aye.

Can't remember if it's the same in UT, but it was in U1. Instantly. UT was quicker, but dunno if it was as bad as U1. U1 was scary quick. I would use zoom with the mingun prime fire, shock prime fire, rockets for lock, the stinger or pulse prime fires (anti camp snipe), and on special occasion, prime razors (again, anti camp snipe).

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Railgun Lag

I swear the railgun delay is not from lag, because it works this way when I am playing offline. You press the button, then you have to hold the crosshairs on your target for an instant before it fires. If they move out of the way, you miss. Maybe it works differently online. I never play Q3A online 'cuz I can't see any viable strategies and only 4 of the weapons are of any use.

I don't think I've ever killed a bot with the lightning-zapper.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
That's just an excuse for your un-1337 Q3A railing/zapping skills, Metakill. :D
That railgun instantly fires even when you only THINK of pressing that button. And the lightning gun is one of the most deadly weapons I've ever seen. It's definately comparable to the pulse gun's secondary fire.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Comparable?

The lightning gun buries the alt pulse fire, in damage if nothing else. As well, I like the way it handles lag, the lighning gun shows the bend of how latency is affecting it.

I started really enjoying quake when I started using weapon classed bind there like I do in UT. When you jack somone with two rockets, and then finish them w/ the shotgun, you just become so much more efficient. Or start with a rail, if they don't die, lightning, shotty, or even somtimes the machinegun, as useless as it is.

Oh, and bind the gauntlet to a button. Whippin' that out in mid battle after opponent has taken some damage. I used to rack up gauntlet trophies. It would be rare if I left a game not starting on row 2...

DM strategy comes in many forms, but most of them require you to be muchly familiar with a game.