[mobo]When the OS starts to boot I get an error my my BIOS is not ACPI compliant

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
It wouldn't be a bad idea to check various tech forums (anandtech, tom's hardware, hardocp, etc..) and see what ram people are running with that mobo.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
try to change the asymchronous latency to 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 ns or to auto. If that don`t work, leave it at auto and change the Read Preamble to auto too and test.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Actually I fixed the RAM test problems. I found out that with this board if you have Legacy USB Support enabled it causes false errors in Memtest86 because it stores something in RAM. After disabling it I didn't get any errors. Right now I am running the test all day while I am here at work, so if there are no errors by the time I get home, I am pretty sure the RAM is fine then.

So last night I tried to install Windows with only one DIMM installed, but I still get an error 0x0000008E while installing Windows. I thought about creating a slipsteam disc, I am not sure this is going to correct this problem. I am starting to wonder if I should just return the board and get something else, because from reading what others have said, it seems many people are having all kinds of stability issues.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Just cause your RAM passes Memtest does not mean it`s going to be stable in Winblows!! Often it`s just the case that the memory`s fine in Memtest but very unstable in windows and crashes 3D apps. You should be able to install the OS with no stop errors at all.
If you were to return the goods, return the memory too and get some OCZ stuff, they have an excellent support forums so if you have any issues they can guide you through the BIOS setup for your MB and memory kit.
*edit*
If you wanted to try just for testing, send me your memory kit to test and I`ll send you a 2 gig OCZ kit in trade. Which I`ve had to 260fsb 32m stable, and 250fsb 3D stable. I`ll run your memory through the paces and either RMA it if it`s junk, or send it back with the correct timings to use. I also have a G.SKILL 2 gig kit too if you preferred, but the OCZ has tighter timings.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I might take you up on that.

Edit:

I am thinking about returning the board based on all the consumer **** I have read people complaining about. **** all that.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Ok so yesterday I ran Memtest86 version 1.65 all day and received no errors. I called Corsair last night, and the guy I talked to was actually helpful. We ended up changing some of the power cables around where they are plugged in to my power supply, and it booted up correctly once. I rebooted to try again, and I got an error but it was differnt this time. Before I was getting 0x0000008E, and now I am getting the error 0x0000007B. I didn't try rebooting last night again because I had other things to do, but I am going to try and delete the partition tonight, and start over and see what happens with a fresh install. He thinks the power is waving in power and that is what is causing system instibility. What do you guys think?

Aaronkr

Apr 24, 2006
Ouch - me too

I have a similar problem with my new ASUS setup. I was led to this post from a response to a techsupportforums post I placed yesterday.

System:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GTX
2 Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Patriot PDC2G3200LLK 2GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel Memory
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Full Tower Case
Aerocool Zerodba 620W Power Supply
Liteon SHM-165H6S 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive w/LightScribe

I did a lot of research before buying this motheboard and although some people had problems (mostly heat related) the general consensus seemed to be favorable.

I am currently at work and running the memtest64+ v1.65 at home on the new system. My system also fails to complete the installation of XP Pro w/SP2 with the same 0x00000002 ACPI error but but I get an 0xE10D1251 PAGE_FAULT error when I do the F7 trick. Memtest86+ test 6 failed miserably the first time I ran it but ran perfectly the second time when I ran it as an individual test.

I am new to much of the deep technical stuff being exchanged on this and other forums but will follow with interest this thread and post my own experiences.

So Far:

- The automatic setting for the memory (2,3,2,5) is what the BIOS is showing and matches the memory specs.
- BIOS version is 1103 and the latest from ASUS
- I have reset the BIOS to defaults
- I can successfully install Win2K (but who cares)
- I am installing from a copy of an iso image burned to a CD

Hope this can be resolved - thanks

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
I've had a something almost alike before - similar x2 system but slightly different problem. I have a 2 of my disks that are in raid0 setup and hence i have to use supplemetary drivers to tell the windows install about them lol

Basically what had happened with me was that i tried to install windows from a new XP sp2 disc. No matter what drivers i tried, the same problem occurred - bsod with some garbage about 0x000000XX. All i did was install it from an older XP sp1 disc and it worked fine, patched it to sp2 and voila it worked a treat ;)

Aaronkr

Apr 24, 2006
LOL, save your Hmmm. This is a corporate distribution with a site license key used for thousands of installs. It is authorized if the PC will be used for business related work which this PC will (and perhaps the odd game or two).

I got past the original problem by disconnecting one of the two SATA drives. Now the installation is stuck on the "Installing Software" screens telling how wonderful XP is. The mouse works and the video is updating but the installation never completes. This is my first SATA based install. Should I install drivers from the mobo CD when the installation is at that point?

Thanks

antera309

Apr 25, 2006
I had exactly the same problem setting up my brand new PC last night. RAM is a red herring, the problem is the implementation of APM in the 1103 version of the A8N32's BIOS.

My machine runs the following setup:
- Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB, latest 1103 BIOS
- AMD64 X2 4200+ Proc with Zalman Fatal1ty FX-77 cooler
- 2x1Gb Crucial DDR400 RAM
- Gainward 7800GTX 512Mb graphics
- 250Gb Western digital SATA2 HDD
- Antec PSU big enough to power the Empire State Building.

Trying to install Windows XP Pro corporate (SP2 slipstreamed) from bootable CD, starting with a blank hard disk.

It was a whole load of trial and error, but here's what I did to get it working:

1) Disabled USB 2.0 & USB 1.1 & 1394 controllers in the BIOS
2) Disabled "Cool & Quiet" in the BIOS
3) Disabled "Advanced Power Management" in the BIOS (Power-Advanced Power Management). DO NOT disable ACPI - only APM!!
4) Installed Windows XP (obviously using a PS2 keyboard & mouse 'cos USB is disabled), deleting the partition from the failed install earlier. 160Gb partition NTFS Quick format.
5) Once windows was installed, I installed ALL drivers from the Asus CD (using the install all drivers utility)
6) Shut down & restart, then re-enabled USB 1.1, USB 2.0 & 1394 controllers in the BIOS.
7) I also re-enabled "Cool & Quiet" in the BIOS at this point, although it doesn't seem to do anything.
8) Do not re-enable APM. This stays disabled permanently.
9) Started up Windows & logged in, then re-attached my USB keyboard/mouse and waited for them to be detected. Removed PS2 keyboard/mouse.
10) Installed all software and utilities from Asus CD (again using the "install all" utility)

Worked a charm, and the disabled APM does not seem to affect the operation of the machine in any way. I guess Wake-on-LAN won't work, but not many people use this on home machines anyway.

Gonna try installing Windows XP 64-bit edition on a dual boot tonight - wish me luck!!

Last edited:

Aaronkr

Apr 24, 2006
That's great information, THANKS. My plan is to do the same thing you are doing, install XP 64 bit on the second drive (assuming I can actually connect it after successfully installing the 32 bit OS).

I sure hope the Microsloth installation fairy smiles on both of us. :)

Good luck.

Aaronkr

Apr 24, 2006
That's great. When I got home from work after starting a fresh install at 7:30 A.M. that morning I was greeted with the Windoze XP logo. So the install did work but it took many hours instead of minutes. I have not had time to load drivers or verify the install is solid but here's hoping. Hopefully I will be able to get back to work on it tomorrow.

antera309

Apr 25, 2006
I've had no stability or performance problems so far (APM function still disabled in the BIOS).

And I found out how to get Cool & Quiet working too - you just select "Minimal Power Management" in "Power Options" in Control Panel. This is great for when you're leaving the machine on all day downloading files off BitTorrent or whatever - CPU temp comes right down to 29-32 degrees C and I'm sure it's a good thing for the electricity bill as well!!

To turn C&Q off again for playing games, running heavy apps or doing a spot of overclocking, just select the "Home/Office Desk" power profile again.

Last edited:

Aaronkr

Apr 24, 2006
More grief but some progress

Although successful the corporate CD installation would not install any of the drivers from the ASUS CD or the eVga CD. I would have to reboot to the last known good configuration. Then it stopped reading CD's altogether except for the OS CD. I decided to try a fresh install from the XP CD I got with my Dell laptop. I still have the approved serial number from work.

I couldn't believe how smoothly the installation went. It took less than an hour. Now, another problem. Although the CD device in the PC installs the OS it can't seem to properly read CD's. When I put the ASUS and eVga driver CD's in it doesn't auto-detect them and when I open up file explorer it takes several minutes for the CD to register. Even when it does it takes forever to list directories (if it lists them at all) and won't run anything on the CD. I tried the driver CD's in another PC and they work fine. Did my CD drive go south? Why would it read the OS CD?

This is such fun!

antera309

Apr 25, 2006
AAron, on tha A8N32, you MUST connect the CD-ROM drive to the secondary channel (the black plug that faces upwards from the board). You probably have it plugged into the primary channel (The blue plug that faces out of the side of the board). It won't work properly in this port, as it is intended for a hard disk.

If that doesn't work, try dropping the IDE speed of the CD-ROM drive to "PIO4":

Start-Sttings-Control Panel-click "System"-go to "Hardware" tab & click "Device Manager"

Double-click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" then double click "Secondary IDE channel". Click the "Advanced Settings" tab.

Then choose "PIO Only" from the drop-down list for device 0 or device 1 (depending on whether the troublesome drive is the master or slave)

If it works in PIO mode and not in UDMA mode, check that you are using an UDMA data cable for the drive (the type with the thinner wires)

Hope this helps!!

Aaronkr

Apr 24, 2006
Problem solved

Thanks for the advice. The CDROM was the primary on the second IDE bus but the problem tirned out to be a bad CRDOM drive. Actually DVD+-RW. I replaced it and everything is working well so far. Actually this is the new PC I'm posting from. :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice.