Mirror's Edge PC To Be PhysX Accelerated

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
It's great to know that a game I'm never going to buy will support hardware physics. Especially since modern cpu's can't perform Newtonian physics calculations.

Thanks DP, this is really wonderful news, and has truly brightened my day significantly.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
Again those are only cosmetic changes that don't add anything to the gameplay. Not really interested.

Another story would be if they enable the physics even for the ATI Stream, since it will be the first game to support it, but seeing that it's a "the way it's meant to be p(l)ayed" title i highly doubt Nvidia would let them do such a thing.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'm wondering what kind of physics effects appear in ME. With all of those movements and you focusing on where the hell you have to go, I think they'll be barely noticeable :c

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Aww, I want in on that, but I'm in ATi camp.

I tried running those physx mods on UT3 with just my quad and 4850. That was a nice way to turn 60FPS to 14. =(

Exactly, the tornado map even didn't load for me since I am on weak laptop..........
And I'm in ATI too, I always used ATI or S3 cards, nothing else.....

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Watch the video in the linked article.

Thought it was only the article :p
Flying broken pieces fly and look weird, IMO. I'll pass anyway, the PhysX stuff never worked good in my UT3 and probably the same will happen here, other than not caring at all about them.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
Aww, I want in on that, but I'm in ATi camp.

I tried running those physx mods on UT3 with just my quad and 4850. That was a nice way to turn 60FPS to 14. =(

That's because we don't have any driver to run stream computing apps on the gpu like nvidia does with CUDA. They will be released next month, within the Catalyst 8.12 and they will be called ATI Stream.

But even with those capabilities enabled, if the developers doesn't add support for it in the game we'll not see any changes, and Nvidia will surely prevent this from happening.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Why implementing that when the only physics is on the character jumping around? Totally pointless feature under my perspective.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Why implementing that when the only physics is on the character jumping around? Totally pointless feature under my perspective.

It's mostly details in the environment. The video shows construction plastic and shattering glass and stuff. The plastic tearing looks pretty good.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
I will skip this game, but In my opinion the use of physics is evolving, and this game proves it.

Physiscs actually adds nothing to the playability, but gives lots of consistence to details and visuals.
O the video you can see a lot of well done effects on clothes and plastics.

With time, the effects that nowadays we see applied to concrete curtains or glass, it will be applied to everithing, making games much more realistic visually .

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
The physics won't really add to the gameplay, but they do look good.

Graphics don't add anything to the gameplay either but that hasn't stopped sw or hw developers from pushing it further.

Also afaik nVidia is writing CUDA drivers, integrating PhysX tech for all their new (at least mid/high-high grade) GPUs, only just starting w/ the 8 series.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Graphics don't add anything to the gameplay either but that hasn't stopped sw or hw developers from pushing it further.

Also afaik nVidia is writing CUDA drivers, integrating PhysX tech for all their new (at least mid/high-high grade) GPUs, only just starting w/ the 8 series.
Basicccally yes.

nVidia owns Ageia now, and ported PhysX to ALL CUDA enabled GPUs. This is GeForce 8 and higher, even the cheap ones.

There has been rumours of nVidia programming a version for ATI's GPGPU in order to kick Intel down a lil' bit. Given nVidia's past I'd assume it quite likely actually...

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Nice graphical touches there. I'm looking forward to the day when physics will be actually be part of the gameplay mechanics. I hope this one doesn't have any in-game advertisements in it...