Mike Capps Admits That Epic Has Been Neglecting Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
TF2 is a good example but can't be easily copied. Valve has their Steam platform to update TF2 smoothly and frequently. I doubt Epic can do that amount of updates, and their business model is to make cross-platform games and engines.

It's not unheard of for games to include their own auto-update features. I remember when this was standard for all games when you connected to a master server.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
UT3 wasn't that bad, except for gamespy, the colors, and frankly some of the character design. Instead of war machines we got housemaid robots, for instance. Also, for a fast paced shooter, technologically they tried to put too many bells and whistles just to show off the engine. Let Gears and UDK do that, focus on nostalgia for any Unreal game - that's what it's about for Epic, what it's about for the fans, and ultimately that will make it a labor of love and thus likelier to be a good game than if they kept trying to think about what the kiddies would like - thus new people would enjoy it too.

I wish Epic would try for a game that could truly be cross-platform online, though there may be logistical reasons that's difficult it would be interesting and bring up the numbers, multiplayer FPS games just don't have the staying power they used to no matter what the platform, so if you combine all platforms at least it would FEEL much more alive to the players.

Storywise, I'd like to see them return to the core elements of both Unreal and UT. If you can ignore the original universe in sequels, surely you can ignore what you did in the sequels and go back to the classic and rebuild from there. I disagree that there's nothing interesting about it, is it derivative? What isn't in sci-fi, but it was derivative in a cool way, as compared to the storylines of some newer games.

I'm honestly not that thrilled about the prospects of a UT4 at this time, though, everyone who was hooked on the original UT is a good 10 years older by now and probably past their FPS prime. An Unreal game with some new sort of multiplayer added on, sounds fascinating on the other hand. It gives them the opportunity to do something new with MP and Unreal without anyone feeling jipped. I find what I really loved in the original UT was that many maps were based on Unreal, and a lot of the time you could explore or camp just as easily as you could run and gun. Once the fantasy element waned, my interest started to as well.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It's kind of funny, when UDK came out, someone ported Adoma, a couple of weapon meshes and character meshes into it from UT2004, updated the materials and the lighting, and damn did it look good.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Oh right. Co-op would be awesome. I had a shit load of fun playing Unreal co-op, but that was mostly due to the way the server was run. Playing co-op with people that just want to rush through the game sucks.

But still, SP first, anything else second. I'm bored with deathmatch like games.

You're right :) . Speedrunning kind of ruins co-op and Monsterhunt. Maps/campaigns should be designed to prevent it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
So I'm deluded? Hmm okay.
Anyway, I think a reboot would be a good idea for Unreal series, starting from scratch, either that or making another spinoff, maybe even centered about Strider wars from The Awakening, Strider Wars played a bigger role in earlier developement and it involved the Striders. Or just continue the U2 story, it actually was decent at its core and the most damage to the game was by Infogrames/Atari as they were direct owners of Legend and had last word on everything, including making it more linear for non gamers and removing multiplayer components in favor of UT2003, which was really bad mistake.

Reboot doesn't mean it is bad, you have to admit that the storyline in almost all the Unreal titles contradict with each other a tiny bit.

Star Trek had a good reboot with movie, after the failed Enterprise series. If it's done right then the reboot can be done too, I mean they could even reuse the original discarded concepts for Unreal and the more open ended Metroid like world they wanted. Originally Unreal was supposed to end with the hero ending up flying with preset course to a Skaarj homeworld and that's where the original sequel was gonna take place at. The Unreal 2 awakening was much later concept and it was never meant to be a sequel, more like a spinoff, but you were supposed to have choices in the game like Deus Ex for example, the previews and all confirm that, hell even more thought out dialog system, there was supposed to be real freedom in the game, but the final turned out to be the opposite. And it is clear lots was cut too, when you look at one of the missions previews, it shows the ocean shian planet, but instead of starting that you start out on different planet, something they forgot to omit I guess and thought nobody would notice.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
This is relevant to my interests.

--------------------------------

If they do a UT4 that is maybe halfway between UT2k4, UT99, and toss in some new flava, it could be good. It could also be about as fun as collecting belly button lint if done wrong.

Make custom content creation newb friendly again. The ability to just jump in and make stuff was definitely a big draw. Course I hope that that was a ridiculously obvious comment given the site I am on.

Even if it is a single player game I would play it. There is certainly plenty of room in the story for an interesting plot.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Classic Capps, completely out of touch with reality.

Yeah, Epic cares so much about Unreal that the last Unreal game they put out was a half-assed console port with a ton of the features and settings of the previous game in the series stripped out, and the shittiest menus ever created by a professional studio.

BREAD AND BUTTER BREAD AND BUTTER BREAD AND BUTTER.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
UT3 wasn't that bad, except for gamespy, the colors, and frankly some of the character design. Instead of war machines we got housemaid robots, for instance. Also, for a fast paced shooter, technologically they tried to put too many bells and whistles just to show off the engine. Let Gears and UDK do that

Well, there was no UDK when UT3 was released. So it's possible that it will indeed be the case with the next game.

Beerzebub

Oct 19, 2005
Bulgaria
UT3 wasn't such a bad game... I like it very much in fact. I think its weakest part however was not the gameplay itself, rather than the lack of modern tools that every 'modern' mp game should have... to some extent it was an unfinished product. I mean after its release there was no properly working sever browser in UT3. And this was even more ludicrous if you recall the promises that Epic had made - they talked about matchmaking tools, waiting rooms. Of course I don't think that we'll ever get something like Blizzard's Battle.net (Unreal.net ;) ), but even a properly working server browser was not enough in 2007.

And YES, there were other problems, but this was the major one.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
What would you prefer.

A new Unreal Tournament.

or

A new Unreal game, with the main campaign, coop mode, an storyline with cinematic intros like the experience in Gears of War, but on the unreal universe, and of course, with basic multiplayer game options. (like the first Unreal)

Easy - Unreal.

At first I was thinking an open world game might be the way to go, but I think you lose a bit of the ability to convey a sense of urgency and wonder when you can spend hours throwing Nali onto rooftops or some other such nonsense.

My only fear with a traditional end-to-end level singleplayer game is that Epic will focus entirely on QTEs and tightly scripted levels instead of letting those moments come to players more naturally. I want exploration and awe at my surroundings and my predicament.

Oh yeah, and please don't kill everyone at the end of the game.

P.S. Include an editor as UDK isn't the same as an editor for a specific title, around which a community can thrive.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
At first I was thinking an open world game might be the way to go, but I think you lose a bit of the ability to convey a sense of urgency and wonder when you can spend hours throwing Nali onto rooftops or some other such nonsense.

But that's fun! :p Anyway, the first Unreal didn't have a sense of urgency. You are just there, trying to survive. There were no real goals set anyway, only hints to new areas, and I do appreciate that. That means you can take your time to explore the world. The fake urgency doesn't help at all - for example, in Mass Effect you have an outlaw to stop, and everyone is urging you to do just that. Yet you can take your time and go everywhere else on the galaxy before pursuing said outlaw, and nothing changes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you read the translator messages there was, since they were all pushing you to the next ship that might save you.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
For me any tight scripting or rushing you along would ruin the appeal of the game to me. One of the reasons I enjoyed Unreal so much was being able to take your time and soak up the atmosphere.

Again being able to explore the levels adds a lot more replay value etc. Having not played the Gears of War games how linear are they? Or do they just make corridor shooters these days.

DarkBarrage99

Jun 19, 2010
east coast
for me unreal tournament and unreal never felt complete without one-another, and as we all know, UT was to be an expansion pack. so when I ended up trying out the Oldskool Amp'd mod which combined them together, it was like bread and butter, the stew to go with it being all the single player and coop add-ons like Xidia, combining elements of both original games into an expansive universe. so if it were possible to do both, that would at least make me happy. and it's not like it's impossible, since modding communities are doing it non-profit. Epic has all the other unreal games to borrow content from, along with bullet storm and gears of war (leaving aside all the stupid ****ing trends and tasteless downgrading for average dumbed down halo and cod players)

but I do believe that an Unreal single player and coop campaign akin to the 1998 release should be observed. not much changing either, the original formula was flawless; immersive single player that you could play with a friend, excellent and atmospheric soundtrack to match the horror environment along with the beautiful yet depressive nature of being stranded alone on a deserted planet and exploring.

and along with that, throw in some classic UT style maps; deathmatch, ctf, domination, something akin to assault... but we don't need 40 maps (as was said before) Halo 2 didn't have 40 multiplayer maps out of the box, although the only part of the game worthwhile was the campaign... in fact if Halo 2 actually had a cooperative mode like Unreal, the xbox Doom 3 and other halo games it would have been much more enjoyable...

iconically, what I might have well just said is "if halo 2 was like unreal, it would have been enjoyable" so there's the formula for a best selling title! the cod and halo kind of 2 weapon, aim assisted, 0 learning curve, one directional combat is not. the only reason why halo 2 worked wasn't because it was a good game, not at all. the xbox doom 3 was better with 40% of it's content cut out, and yet everyone was playing halo 2. Unreal Championship 1 was better, without the patch, and people were still playing halo 2. UC2 was credited countless times as the best multiplayer game on xbox live!!! and alongside Rainbow Six 3, it was!!!!! BUT PEOPLE KEPT UGHGHH!@## the only reason why halo 2 worked was because everyone on xbox live at time could only talk to eachother in the halo 2 game lobbies, because every other chat feature was horrible. and what happened when they got bored? "hey wanna start a game?" and yet even today, countless games, even on the pc (DUKE*COUGH*TRIBESASCEND AND BULLETSTORM*COUGH*) try to emulate it, and are just falling flat!
/rant

but really, a good immmersive single player campaign with coop support and a handful of solid arena style maps, and most importantly user made custom content, and you will have yourself a best seller with a strong community backing it. really! I'd but 3! Serious Sam did it, and that was great as well, at least for the first game and expansion-sequely thing. speaking of serious sam, I'd also be happy if there was something like an "Unreal HD" done in UE3 with that glorious soundtrack redone with actual instruments. or maybe something similar to quake live, but I imagine the guys at epic wouldn't want to delve backwards into UE1...

would mike capps even consider reading this thread??? it would be really cool if he did and told us his.