Make UT2007 on PC and next-gen consoles online compatible with each other?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Make UT2007 on PC and next-gen consoles online compatible with each other?

• Total voters

Vault

May 29, 2005
well the console will have support of m/k.. and if they dont.. then third parties will make them.

theres no reason they [PC PS3 the 360] cant all be connected. MS and Sony and many of other companies have said that you can.

{RA}SKYFURNACE

Game Mapper & Press
Apr 17, 2004
it wont happen, mainly for liscence and publisher reasons.

not to mention Custom content, and the diff aspect and compressions of textures.

{RA}SKYFURNACE

Game Mapper & Press
Apr 17, 2004
true but you think M$ and Sony would share? not to mention all the publishers who release 2 diff versions of their games?

Bloodwolf806

Equal Opportunity Ass-Kicker
May 29, 2005
SC, United States
It would be impossible between Xbox360 and PC and Xbox360 and PS3. Why? Because Microsoft runs Xbox-specific servers. But, if Sony allowed Epic to run the servers on PS3, then PS3 and PC could most likely interact. (Like Quake III for Dreamcast, Sega let id run the servers, and DC players could play against PC players.)

{RA}SKYFURNACE

Game Mapper & Press
Apr 17, 2004
Bloodwolf806 said:
It would be impossible between Xbox360 and PC and Xbox360 and PS3. Why? Because Microsoft runs Xbox-specific servers. But, if Sony allowed Epic to run the servers on PS3, then PS3 and PC could most likely interact. (Like Quake III for Dreamcast, Sega let id run the servers, and DC players could play against PC players.)

right, also note that it was an ID game and they were the publisher. its not just hardware, its a marketing licensing & publishing issue as well.

RyGaR

Feb 7, 2005
I voted yes as long as the game doesnt get dumbed down because of it. Im an old console player that recently got into PC gaming, i played UT on DC, UC1 Xbox and I recently got UC2.

Earlier last year i got me a nice gaming PC and picked up UT2004, and I must say WOW!! Console players just have no idea what they are missing, everything from the maps, mutators and mods,to all the customization you can do with your FOV, custom crosshairs and other stuff.

I actually would rather get UT2007 on PS3, if it's cross platform with PC community and if I could use a mouse and kyb. why? Because honestly I dont wanna go out and spend $1000 or more to upgrade my now old video card FX5900 XT to a newer and yet still old AGP video card and a faster CPU than my current AMD 64 3000+ socket 754.

Id rather spend $300-$400 on PS3 and enjoy nearly all the benefits PC players have.

I remember UT on DC actually supported both mouse and keyboard and controller, while it wasn't cross platform like Q3 arena on DC, UT DC was actually considerablly balanced between MS and KYB users and controller users. They compensated by giving a touch of auto aim for the controller users.

So this actually could work, if well thought out, planned, and properly implemented. Considering Xbox's closed network for Xbox Live, this seems as more of a possiblity between PS3 and PC rather than Xbox 360 and PC (although i have heard some stuff about PC and XBL cross platform through XNA and Longhorn). Considering Microsofts and Sony's rivalry I would HIGHLY doubt PS3 and Xbox 360 would have ANY cross platform titiles other than FFXI.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
ExiT said:
I wish consoles would move to keyboard and mouse; it would open them up for strategy games and hella improve MP gaming for communication.

uhh how about , something that isnt meant for inputting information other than that required for gameplay... keyboards are quite uncomfortable to use if your just going to be pressing some keys on it again and again, and controllers are designed because how games usually only need a few keys again and again.... as for the mouse, we need to give people absolute control (i.e. how fast they turn is how fast they move) instead of relative control( how fast they turn is how far they pushed the stick) , and i think a trackball is the best idea because it doesnt need a table and people dont need to rearrange their living rooms just to be able to play fps games comfortably...

Vault

May 29, 2005
right carmatic... consoles are better (control wise) in every genre except FPS and RTS, plus consoles are cheaper! and about the trackball... there are controllers made by third parties like that.. hard to find though

Psyk

Sep 7, 2001
Visit site
carmatic said:
uhh how about , something that isnt meant for inputting information other than that required for gameplay... keyboards are quite uncomfortable to use if your just going to be pressing some keys on it again and again, and controllers are designed because how games usually only need a few keys again and again....
I find myself very limited by the amount of buttons on gamepads. As games are getting more complicated they need more buttons. I hate that in halo 2 when I want to reload I pick up another weapon by accident because they use the same button. Also in GTA:SA one button is used to do more than one thing at the same time.

Also with a keyboard you can make use of all your fingers as you don't need to waste any gripping something.

Kingman3

Jul 19, 2005
It would own hard if Belkin made a Speedpad for consoles (but we'd still need mouse support).