Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Just played some TAM on an empty server, which within a few minutes after me joining became a 2v2. Had a pretty good time. Players glowed like newly engaged girl. That's my report on at least 4 people in this world that like UT3. Good night.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
No... I only helped to bring you UT3 jailbreak, I don't play this game at all :rolleyes:

It's a little harder in some DM maps when playing FFA, but in all team games plus betrayal it's very clear where your targets are, as in fact the further away they are, the more they glow.

At any rate, My feeling is that brightskins eliminate skill, not promote it. It removes any ability to use the layout of the level to your advantage (which is in itself a skill to be learned) and you end up such that you may as well be playing in DM-GiantCube.
n7 is a good player, much better than most people.

Brightskins were intended for higher level play, even higher than I would play in tbh. They never were meant for pub play, but they're here now, use them if you want, don't bitch about them if you don't. D:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Brightskins were intended to try and get people to stop whining all the time and they failed by just making different people whine.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Just played some TAM on an empty server, which within a few minutes after me joining became a 2v2. Had a pretty good time. Players glowed like newly engaged girl. That's my report on at least 4 people in this world that like UT3. Good night.

BTA fills up quite fast most of the time. Every time i joined FA2K server for example it was maybe at 2v2 to 3v3 and after some maps its full. Same goes for the PHX server, but that server is horribly laggy for me. Multiplay fills too. Joining it with a couple of friends at the same time helps too if its empty.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Brightskins were intended for higher level play
As I explained in my post, I don't consider it a higher level of play. Making enemy locations hugely obvious only makes the game easier. Making the game easier does not increase the skill threshold. It only speeds up the body count.

Brightskins were intended to try and get people to stop whining all the time and they failed by just making different people whine.
I suppose thats true. :D We go from "Wah wah, where did that shot come from I didn't see anybody!" to "Wah wah its impossible to sneak around / move anywhere without my head getting popped off by a sniper!"

DannyMeister said:
Players glowed like newly engaged girl.
o_O

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Let's keep talking about it!!!!!!!
ben_stiller_interview_top.jpg

Just kidding, but seriously.
I am curious as to why brightskins were important for higher level play. Is it so that it requires you to have greater movement skill in order to avoid your opponents? A minimization of the importance of pretty graphics in favor of a player's ability to quickly assess the situation?

I do agree that post-UT99 players have been harder to spot.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Let's keep talking about it!!!!!!!
ben_stiller_interview_top.jpg

Just kidding, but seriously.
I am curious as to why brightskins were important for higher level play. Is it so that it requires you to have greater movement skill in order to avoid your opponents? A minimization of the importance of pretty graphics in favor of a player's ability to quickly assess the situation?

I do agree that post-UT99 players have been harder to spot.
Danny, that's one of the things that's part of why its always used in ladders/competitions/tournaments. If you watch me play, you've noticed that I never stand still. Even without bright skins, you don't go sneaking around in a game like UT, just try hiding behind something if you're playing against me. It's not going to work. :p

On one hand, bright skins level the playing field, so matter what model you choose, you're visible, anyone can see you, and you can see anyone else, even if you're color blind.

Many of the "pros" play at world detail below 1. I recently watched a Quake Live tournament. Its worse there. you have UNTEXTURED surfaces AND brightskins.
Yeah they use mipmap thingy and make the textures single shades. For Quack they even make all the pickups/powerups simple textures, but that's done in menus.

This way, all the players focus on are hitting each other, no distractions, not clutter in the way, just pure fragging.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Basically it becomes dull aiming. Oh well, everyone has its own definition for entertaining gameplay :eek:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Many of the "pros" play at world detail below 1. I recently watched a Quake Live tournament. Its worse there. you have UNTEXTURED surfaces AND brightskins.

That's just stupid - that's not even playing the game any more. That said, I've seen players turn OFF dynamic shadowing in their configs in a lot of 'pro' games so that players can no longer hide in shadows.

That's just called cheating, seriously.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
lol, then I guess it's just something that you'll never understand. There's no reason to continue talking about it.
I fully understand it. It doesn't matter what anyone says, Glowsticks do not improve the game in any way, do not increase the skill cieling, and certainly do not make the game more fun.

I don't get how anyone can find shooting giant blue blobs in a colorless box could be any fun.

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
I think its stupid, i see some players set everything on low on there high-end rig, believing it would increase there skills, maybe they are just spoiled kids and dont care how much money there rig cost because mommy paid there pc anyway.

I think its dull to set everything on low even if it would increase your skills a tiny bit,
I had to laugh when i saw this in a thread
shot0012.jpg
POINTLESS :D

But yeah. whats more pointless then trying to make people like this game?

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
The common misconception among brainless dolts, is that bloomskins and min detail raises the skill ceiling.

It raises the skill FLOOR. :eek:

Sep 18, 2009
It's fascinating how some people expect everyone else to shut up with UT3 criticism, but still think it's ok to bash gamestyles they don't like.

Where is the smiley that bashes his head against the wall?

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
No... I only helped to bring you UT3 jailbreak, I don't play this game at all :rolleyes:

It's a little harder in some DM maps when playing FFA, but in all team games plus betrayal it's very clear where your targets are, as in fact the further away they are, the more they glow.

At any rate, My feeling is that brightskins eliminate skill, not promote it. It removes any ability to use the layout of the level to your advantage (which is in itself a skill to be learned) and you end up such that you may as well be playing in DM-GiantCube.

I wasn't aware you helped bring UT3 Jailbreak, sweet stuff!

No offense meant sorry...i might have gotten a tad carried away in my ranting ;)

While i don't have the skill of a competitive player, i do like playing in a competitive style, & find comp aids like UTComp etc, to be very helpful.

But it's definitely true that everyone has a different take on things, & brightskins/hitsounds aren't everyone preference.