M-14 Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the M-14 and/or the SVD be added to Infiltration?

• Yes, add the M-14!

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I prefer the SVD, actually.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Why not add both?

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No, we don't need either one.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
OICW = big fat heavy piece of steaming dung that won't last 2 days under field conditions. Excellent for showing off cool technology, as long as you don't try to actually fight a war with it.

Originally posted by Trevor_Clim
add the FN FAL, its offers some cool heavy fire.

NO, NOT THE G3!!! it looks so ugly... plastic crap!

hey what about adding not the AK47 (its surely over-done) , we should add the AKM (i think its 7.62) or the AK74 (not sure which caliber)

hey yeah the AKM... some russian stuff, AKMSU + AKM

*sigh* The gun popularly called the AK-47 and seen all over the world IS the AKM! The original AK-47 was produced with a milled reciever and was quite expensive and never saw mass production...the improved-version AKM, with a stamped reciever, is the gun that everyone knows and loves (or hates, variously).

Originally posted by jlamb_vo
Seeing OICW's pic, could someone enlighten me on that particular weapon? It looks like a behemoth of a rifle and I have never heard anything about it.

It's a combination 20mm proximity-fused grenade launcher / 5.56mm rifle with a highly sophisticated target aqusition computer system comprising 6X zoom telescopic night vision sight with thermal night-vision capability and laser designator/rangefinder.

However, whether or not all those bells and whistles will be of any use whatsoever in real combat remains to be seen. Field reliability and ruggedness are also somewhat questionable.

The rifle component is a derivative of the G36, so it can't be THAT bad; the 20mm gun is nice for having a six-round clip rather than single shot, but 20mm's a bit small if you want real explosive hitting power.

I'd rather have a G-11 any day.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I cant back the oicw simply cause it hasent been seen much use outside the research labs yet.
but after its got some time in service, that will change ;)

Im curious to see how something that large will work out in a fight.

till then, the g-11 should satisfy my appitite for next generation hardware.

It's the reliability of all those electronic gizmos that I'm worried about, not the weight of the thing.

That, and whether or not the 20mm rounds are actually powerful enough to be useful...we're dropping from full-size rifle grenades to 40mm mini-grenades to 20mm micro-grenades...trading per-shot firepower for ROF and ammo capacity...dunno if that's such a hot idea.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
well...
normally we gotta bounce the larger grenades off of something like a wall or the floor (at a pretty good range as a result) to hit the target with splash damadge.

these new ones, as I understand em, are supposed to detonate in flight.
dont ask me how that magic works....

but if it does, you wouldent need the relatively large 40mm nade to kill someone when its gonna go off next to their head.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Not precisely The_Fur, shifting from .30-06 (7.62x63mm) to 7.62x51mm NATO was already a downgrade as well as 7.92mm Kurz and 7.62x39mm Intermediate.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
RAZZ, it works by detonating after grenade makes a specified number of rotations. Since rotation rate is more or less constant, distance travelled is a straight function of number of rotations the grenade has made. Exactly when to detonate is programmed into grenade right before it is shot by the computerized fire control system. All this juicy stuff costs probably ~$20000 for the gun, and ~$25 per shot, and will likely break after a couple days, or at most a week, of actual field use by actual infantrymen.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Face it the OICW will never be soldier proof. Some idiot will try and use it as a hammer or ladder and it will break. In fact what happens if it gets real close and personal? Does the OICW have a bayonet lug? Will it survive the combat or do you then just trade you $25,000 electronic pile of junk for his $250 FN-FAL or AKM and carry on?

Can't see this weapon system making it to the battle field and surviving. Thats not to say some techno-junkie whoes never been in combat isn't going to inflict this weapon on some poor bloody infantry guy!

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
its not the cost that matters, its the value you get.

as we speak, there are men out there risking their lives on our behalf.
If our money can realisticaly buy them some tool to make their job easier, then buy the damn thing and we quibble about cost later ;)

does the oicw have value is the question.

as a high tech grenade launcher with rifle attachment and thermal camera, I think it could. at least once all the bugs are worked out.

Trevor_Clim

Is this virtuous?
Aug 6, 2001
Yew
i hope the INF team add the G11 after the SAW.

But a G11 is a full-automatic 15-round (45:3 = 15 and 3 rounds of a G11 will kill you...) robar which weights only some pounds and is easy to handle with the very small recoil.

hmm i think the G11 will unbalance INF totally...

Originally posted by The_Fur
it started with the introduction of the m16

Yeah, the M-16/M-203 replacing the M-14/rifle grenade started that trend.

Gholam, we were talking about explosive firepower capabilities, not the regular ammo. High-powered .30-06 and even 7.62 X 51 rounds are too powerful for an assault rifle, as we found when we tried the fully automatic 7.62mm X 51 M-14 -- it was uncontrollable in auto.

Originally posted by RAZZ
well...
normally we gotta bounce the larger grenades off of something like a wall or the floor (at a pretty good range as a result) to hit the target with splash damadge.

these new ones, as I understand em, are supposed to detonate in flight.
dont ask me how that magic works....

but if it does, you wouldent need the relatively large 40mm nade to kill someone when its gonna go off next to their head.

It's proxy-fused like big artillery shells are. You can set it for detonation at a certain distance, detonation on impact, and delayed detonation.

While it's true that this increases the effectiveness of the 20mm shell, it still lacks raw hitting power -- it's a good weapon for precision explosive hits, but lacks the hitting/clearing power of a rifle grenade. I would argue that we need BOTH capabilities -- both precision hitting and area clearing.

I would suggest development of a rifle grenade for the OICW, and the addition of a ballistic-arc-lob firing mode to the firing computer.

{LOD}WolfBear

Cannon Fodder
May 2, 2001
Texas
Visit site
I like the SVD, like the m14, like the FN Fal. . .Add em all I will figure out which to use after I see how they perform in game (like the giat what a dissappointment, I have never fired on irl and in game the thing leaves me trying to aim OVER the site not through it :D ) Nothing against the INF team or anything That site just drives me nuts like it would irl.

{LOD}WolfBear[RM]

{LOD}WolfBear

Cannon Fodder
May 2, 2001
Texas
Visit site
AH okies so it was intended as more of a peep sight, NOW I get it, I figured it was either a problem I would have with the piece irl, or something along the lines of what you described.

Thanks for the clarification,

{LOD}WolfBear[RM]