[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I was aware of most of you said, but thanks for a few parts or details I didn't know. Regarding the reason why I entered the discussion ...
dragonfliet said:
This is a pretty naive idea of what lobbying is.
Is it a pretty naive idea of what lobbying has become?

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
You can't legislate equality of access to lobbying without stomping on the right to free speech of others.
otoh it's not acceptable to have a situation where such equality doesn't exist, where only a few are heared or have the power to be heared, it just weakens democracy. It's not acceptable to stomp it either. In an huge country where some live thousands of km away from central goverment, it's already extremely hard to be influencial, in practice only a few can have their voice heared. It's just that natural selection has no place in democracy.

Then regarding free speech, it's quite possible it will look like supressing today's predominant lobbyists freedom of speech! Of course, if there are 3 people at the table, someone introducing a 4th will be called a thief or denying their freedom or whatever excuse they come up with.

It is an incorrect idea. Also, "is" refers to present-term. Otherwise he would have said "was".

There is lobbying... and then there's all the other stuff you mentioned.
Ok, I'm done here.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
In an huge country where some live thousands of km away from central goverment, it's already extremely hard to be influencial, in practice only a few can have their voice heared. It's just that natural selection has no place in democracy.
That's why we have federalism/state-rights and a weak federal government. At least, we're supposed to.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
otoh it's not acceptable to have a situation where such equality doesn't exist, where only a few are heared or have the power to be heared, it just weakens democracy.

Which is why your idea of banning lobbyists is not a good one. But going further than that, equality means that everyone has an equal opportunity to speak, whether it be individually or as a group.

In an huge country where some live thousands of km away from central goverment, it's already extremely hard to be influencial, in practice only a few can have their voice heared. It's just that natural selection has no place in democracy.

You need to study the US government because you don't demonstrate understanding of how it is supposed to work.

Then regarding free speech, it's quite possible it will look like supressing today's predominant lobbyists freedom of speech! Of course, if there are 3 people at the table, someone introducing a 4th will be called a thief or denying their freedom or whatever excuse they come up with.

Wha?

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
The lobbying part should be separate from the campaign donations part. But is it really? Of course not. If a politician wants to get re-elected he needs money to spend. Does he get donations from the same interests that are lobbying? Yes, he does. Is this a quid pro quo? Difficult to prove because winking eyes are not presentable as evidence in a US court.

The whole campaign finance part of politics is part of the gray area, the conflict of interest area. As an employee where I am, I am limited to a maximum $25 value per gift and max total of $50 per year from any outside vendors or contractors my company uses or may use and I have to fill out paperwork. This includes meal,s so it's not likely I will be tempted by any wining or dining. Politics has no such limit.

The same problem exists within a political party. You want to be involved in your party, but if you do not vote the way the party whip tells you, you do not get anything. You may think you electing an independent rep who will fight for you, no way, they must do what they are told or the party will not support them and they likely will not get re-elected.

I personally do not like the 2 party system as it is today. Party politics trumps all and money buys influence. It also looks like the Supreme court likes it that way too. I guess they are also bought and paid for. Maybe that's just the way it is because we let it get that way. How do we change it? I am not so sure we can.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Which is why your idea of banning lobbyists is not a good one. But going further than that, equality means that everyone has an equal opportunity to speak, whether it be individually or as a group.
Please don't go on rehashing my first post. That's why I started thinking about a proper method, remembered, and actually found it in that PDF. Consider this:
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17VkNIbymA[/M]
If it's hard to do anything against the ones that buy politicians, then please make sure everyone else has a seat at a table.
You need to study the US government because you don't demonstrate understanding of how it is supposed to work.
That's not the point. I have enough understanding (for my needs) on how the US government works, and how an widespread goverment is supposed to work. However, I have even better understanding on how hard in practice it is to be heared and be taken into consideration when you belong to a peripheric region, even with all the structure in place. It can be ****ing frustrating, even with stuff like this: http://ec.europa.eu/europedirect/call_us/index_en.htm

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Kevin Costner to the rescue!

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/kevin-costner-machine-bp-oil-clean/story?id=10689928

BP has turned to "Waterworld" star Kevin Costner to help clean up the oil slick that is spreading across the Gulf of Mexico.
Costner has been funding a team of scientists for 15 years in hopes of developing a technology to clean up massive oil spills, and his research has created a powerful centrifuge that he claims can separate oil from water and dump the oil into a holding tank.
Costner and representatives of Ocean Therapy Solutions, the firm that developed the machine, demonstrated the centrifugal device for BP officials in New Orleans last week. "I believe they'll want to do the right thing," Costner told reporters at the time.
"We've agreed to test it," BP spokesman Mark Proegler told ABCNews.com today.
Officials with Ocean Therapy Solutions have said one of their machines is capable of cleaning up to 210,000 gallons of water per day. The oil extractor leaves the water 99 percent clean of crude, the firm said in a statement.

Attachments

• costner_band.jpg
    costner_band.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 10

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
blah blah blah politics blah blah

That's all I heard. Who gives a **** how it's going to affect Obama politically? There's a big hole in the earth's crust that is ejecting crude oil at an alarming rate into the ocean and it needs to be fixed. The federal government should just find someone, anyone, who can god damn fix it and make them fix it and then charge BP for it.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
I like how people just say and make them fix it" like its no big deal. In something that can only be described as total ignorance.