[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
And finally, to respond to the topic, yes I think we should continue to permit offshore drilling but NOT UNTIL we can design and actually implement stricter regulations on domestic and international companies that want to drill adjacent to our coastlines.

Wait, you are asking for our government to do something we actually need? What fantasy world are you in?

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Simple solution: Move the damn rigs onto land. There's oil underneath the continents too, and if you have an accident, it won't be moved by currents. So to hell with offshore drilling, land drilling FTW.

And what the hell do you mean by "red states?" Is this more political metaphor BS?

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Unlike your reply, I suppose.

[mini-rant]What's the point of shoving a line of "blah" into my face, via my monitor? What's the point of inciting some reply with equally miniscule content? Why discuss in order to be right, in order to prove your view of the world to yourself, without ever opening up to other opinions and possibilities? Why not learn along the way?[/mini-rant]

Sorry about that, didn't mean to get personal (what I said applies to a lot more people here, myself included at times), but I find the quality of "debates" on here to be so lacking that the point eludes me.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Germany is already producing 30% of its needed energy via wind and solar, I think you're underestimating the technologies.

15-16%, but yes, the point remains.

These quotes represent looking at a result of policy that needs subsidy to exist and force to work. It implies that somehow the use of the technology is somehow a variable in the quality or feasibility of the technology as a whole when it hardly is.

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
I believe that subsidies (which I'm critical of in general, as a matter of fact in German there has been massive support of coal mining by the state way beyond the point where it was actually a profitable industry) can help introduce - and more importantly develop to be efficient - new technologies faster. Innovation doesn't necessarily happen if it's not in the immediate interest of the industry, which is oriented on short-term profit, and thus should be encouraged by states.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
I believe that subsidies (which I'm critical of in general, as a matter of fact in German there has been massive support of coal mining by the state way beyond the point where it was actually a profitable industry) can help introduce - and more importantly develop to be efficient - new technologies faster.

I don't know the reality of the coal industry in Germany. They could of very of been put of business by regulations, unions and price fixing, or they could very well of had bad business practices. I don't really know..

To your other point, it really doesn't mean much. They have been looking at wind power for years and there isn't going to be any more motivation or break through because of subsidies. I hardly doubt the two decades of research will all of a sudden turn and somehow make a product that is basically as effective, or somehow make it nearly have the cost per kw as coal or nuclear power, regardless.

Innovation doesn't necessarily happen if it's not in the immediate interest of the industry, which is oriented on short-term profit, and thus should be encouraged by states.

Where do you guys get this idea? The government? Where exactly? It just looks to me like you guys have no idea what business is. There is no successful business EVER that was only interested in short term profit.

Anyway..it IS in their interest to look into other technologies and they HAVE been doing it for years. This is only forcing them to go down a bad business decision and go after a technology they have already rejected.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
I believe that subsidies (which I'm critical of in general, as a matter of fact in German there has been massive support of coal mining by the state way beyond the point where it was actually a profitable industry) can help introduce - and more importantly develop to be efficient - new technologies faster. Innovation doesn't necessarily happen if it's not in the immediate interest of the industry, which is oriented on short-term profit, and thus should be encouraged by states.
I'm not sure what more they need to develop in the windmill department. One problem we have here, is whenever someone makes plans to put some up, there's always an environmentalist congressman trying to block it and make a reserve of the land.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
People that live on boats have solar and wind as their only power source.
It's the people that live in power sucking houses that don't understand how to conserv it.

You're proposing we all live on boats?

Innovation doesn't necessarily happen if it's not in the immediate interest of the industry, which is oriented on short-term profit, and thus should be encouraged by states.

That assumes that only 'the industry' is researching alternate energy. If there's a need for something and there's a way to make a profit you can bet there will be innovation.

I'm all in favor of renewable energy and I think we'll probably eventually figure out a way to produce the proper equipment cheaply enough to make it viable. Solar has made some tremendous advances, but remains much more expensive and less reliable. Wind, in my opinion, is much farther off. The amount of acreage required to produce a reasonable amount of power is ridiculous. Anyone that has driven by a wind farm can attest to that.

So far, my favorite suggestion in this thread has been the poop plan. :Poop:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
If we can harness the energy associated with lightning into giant batteries or capacitors with great efficiency, then we would be set for life, literally. Thus, lightning is my favorite suggestion.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
well that's fine and good, but Germany is about 1/30 the size of the US and we're much more spread out.

Yeah, because you couldn't transport that power over power lines. How did you overlook this?

Also, give everyone tax breaks on putting them on the roof of their houses, and then what ever they put into the grid gets taken off of their electric bill. That's what they are doing here.