Linux Client?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BadMofo666

Mar 31, 2004
Clyde, OH USA
I thought they were going to release a Linux client for UT3? It's been a while now, but still just a Linux server. Are they supposed to release a Linux client?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
They've stated that Linux client will follow after Windows release so I assume Epic still has it in the works.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
they're probably waiting until all the bugs are fixed .... (and GoW 2 has been released ... and hell has frozen over ;) )

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Are they supposed to release a Linux client?
Mark Rein in August 2007:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=24968274#post24968274 said:
We like the PC. We like the 360. We like the PS3. We like the Macintosh. We like Linux. We will deliver UT3 for all of these platforms and it will rock on every one.
As recently as the end of September 2007 the word was:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/203_1.php said:
[EPIC]WarTourist: Dunno...linux game exe in the box and mac version soon after.

Then by the middle of October 2007 it was:

http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-cgi?64:mss:55:200710:pcgggfcpkhbeledipkkh said:
> We are waiting for Linux client, but it 'ill be only available with the
> Windows client (on the box), no ?

It won't be in the box this time (sorry, this is a deadline problem, not a political decision), but we'll make sure there's a downloadable Linux installer that works with the retail Windows disc. If there's a later print run, we'll see about adding the Linux installer to it.

And the currently official position is:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584654 said:
Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.

Then there's this from Mark Rein: :( (about 40-50 seconds in, the clip isn't dated but I think it is GDC 2008)
http://blip.tv/file/683680?filename=Heywoodbigbignewsnet-EpicTalksUnrealEngineAndGearsOfWar2Interview246.mov said:
Interviewer - What about Mac and Linux versions ?

Mark Rein - . . . and Linux, it's just kind of a pet project, so if it happens it happens.

Up until now, I've taken the view that the base PC game was so blatantly unfinished that I could well understand that Epic had bigger fish to fry than getting a Linux client out of the door (for all that it is done by an independent contractor, he can only work from a stable baseline). Fix what needed fixed on the major release platform was the right thing to do.

That said, I'm starting to get rather tired of waiting and becoming rather concerned that the Linux client really might be someone's pet project. I have about a zillion pet projects and I know what happens to most of them.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Agreed, time is passing by, and there still is no word of a client. It's pretty silly really, the Linux owners can set up a server for Windows gamers to game, but can't game themselves. On top of that, the price of the game has already dropped 20 euro. What a treatment eh?

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Don't forget that it's just only one guy working on both the Mac & Linux clients.

Considering the whole Epic team has yet to fix problems on the Windows version, I wouldn't hold my breath... :rolleyes:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I suspect that there's no PhysX and Gamespy middleware available.

We have no evidence that that is the case. The legal difficulties with the dedicated server were resolved and no official word was ever given as to which piece of software was causing that problem.

That said, if it can't be done then I'd rather be put out of my misery sooner than later. As it is, we are getting mixed messages from Epic. They need to clarify the position.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I seriously think we should consider the Linux-client for UT3 to be a dream waiting to be shattered by reality.

It has been a 'pet project' since UT was developed, so it's not like that status has changed much except that they've stopped mentioning it in press-releases once they realised they weren't going to finish it.

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
IronMonkey said:
That said, if it can't be done then I'd rather be put out of my misery sooner than later. As it is, we are getting mixed messages from Epic. They need to clarify the position.

Unfortunately I think Mark Rein's recent comment is pretty clear.

When I saw it I immediately felt tremendously bad for Ryan, all this hard work he must be doing and Rein just calls it a pet project....wow. I wanted to punch Rein in the face.

I'm torn on it, because realistically I'm pretty sure, yeah, it's never going to come out (an maaan, I was so happy when I originally heard about the usage of wxwidgets and all, but at least the long long dev cycle has given me plenty of time to come down to earth anyways) but I also believe that Ryan is doing everything he can and I have a tremendous respect for the guy. Just knowing that he's there gives me hope, despite my inability to reconcile that with the statements and attitudes of Epic in general.

I'll illustrate my cognative dissonance.
Mark Rein said:
Linux, it's just kind of a pet project, so if it happens it happens.
Ryan C. Gordon said:
The client is still being worked on (please stop asking me if Microsoft is buying Epic)

Maybe if they decide to outright can the Linux port, Ryan can be given Mark Rein's job as a consolation prize. Honestly, he could work it part time and he'd do a far better job than Mark Rein who seems more expert at bad PR than anything else.

I do find it strange that they're going off with a Mac version while the UT games have always had a much larger Linux fanbase comparatively, but I guess it's probably because Epic doesn't have to devote their own resources to it.

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
It is very likely that the Linux and Mac clients will appear at approximately the same time given that both will be OGL and OAL at their core. The Linux version may take slightly longer since it will have to work with several different flavors of Linux.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It is very likely that the Linux and Mac clients will appear at approximately the same time given that both will be OGL and OAL at their core. The Linux version may take slightly longer since it will have to work with several different flavors of Linux.
I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion given that less than two months before the release of the game on the Windows platform (and even less time before the game went to press), Epic representatives were saying,

WarTourist said:
inux game exe in the box and mac version soon after.

Four and a half months after the public release of the game on Windows, we are still waiting. So, two months out from the ship date Epic thought the Linux version would be in the box (i.e. <2 months from completion) and 6 months later we are still waiting.

I could see a mac version and no Linux version being an outcome.

The mac version would bring new sales whereas the Linux version might bring proportionally fewer new sales (as [AFAIK] you already have to have a Windows client to create the account for the Linux dedicated server - talk about rubbing it in.)

The delay (if that is what it is) is costing mindshare. In my case, I was near to completing a (even if I say so myself) reasonably comprehensive guide for beginners on setting up a UT3 dedicated server on Linux. I've relegated all of that work to the status of pet project. :(

If Epic don't care, why should I?

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
I checked the compatiblity with Wine/Crossover Office and it doesn't look that good there either...

Game runs horribly slow. Starting a Campaign worked just fine, however starting Vehicle CTF Mode under Instant Action seemed to crash the game for me. And frankly any Instant Action crashed the game for me, however it wasn't tested all the way through. Thanks to Luke Bratch for the most important information: With this patch applied: http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2007-October/045087.html The game starts, but the framerate is very low. It appears to render correctly though. This is tested with an 8800GTX.

I don't know how it works with Cedega since I don't subscribe to it, but I'm sure if enough people who do ask for UT3 Transgaming would try to get it working.

So back to the ol' dual boot... :(

We shouldn’t be judging one of the few companies that have brought us Linux users such entertainment in the past too harshly. Instead seeing as we are who we are why not offer to help as I'm sure our understating of our chosen flavour of Linux is something we are each very proficient in.

As it is now Open source has been openly regarded by MS as their biggest competition and thanks to vista the growth over that lest couple months has been rising very steadily (well here in NZ it has been anyways). So instead of complaining why not offer a helping hand.

And yes I realise that releasign the source isn’t something likely to happen but offer your help anyway maybe just maybe the help offered would accepted.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Everyone has been freaking out about it on the official UT3 linux list as well. I think it's dumb, I don't think Epic has ever devoted more than one or two people to the Linux ports of their games. I think we've just been lucky in the past that there were no middleware/licensing issues and the Linux client completed before the games were released.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
You're welcome. Oh! Did I leave out half of your post as well? :p
Good try!

I think I quoted the relevant part and I do believe that it correctly summarised the point that you were making.

You made other points, it is true, but nullified their effect by once again attacking the messengers rather than the message.

Such behaviour on your part is usually a sign of the weakness of your argument. I'm starting to recognise the pattern.