Light, is it particles or a wave?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kwisatz Haderach

Teacher and old Gamer from Sweden
Feb 14, 2001
Storforsen, Sweden
Visit site
Ligth are photons.
Photons are "energy-packages" with no mass.
It has the property of both particles and waves but is neither.
Photons makes good torpedoes (I watch Star Trek to =) ).
Since we are discussing both Physics and Star Trek I must recommend the following book, it explains how everything work aboard the NCC-1701.

The Physics of Star Trek (Star Trek Series)
by Lawrence M. Krauss and Stephen Hawkins

And to all of you who are discussing chance, it does not exist. It's controlled by the illuminati. Better go before they found out I told you.

/Kwisatz Haderach

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
right guyz! finaly a sensible topic in this f0 ;)
well sensible........ urhm what does it mean ne way ;)

ne ways, i think light is something that is just there, no need to wander what it is, it just is!

/me gets a headacke of all this thinking about what light is.

i even got a more challanging question,

what is time................

if you can anwsaer that you surley win the nobelprice ;)

ne ways i think time doesnt exist, its made up by us you humans, i as a member of the enlightent race of the planet zorgon i think that you humans just take to much notice of this thing that you have called time.

time does not exist, its just a flow of events that are comming after one an other............
whos to say it cant run the other way around...........

as we say on zorgon: if time exists i am a zolarian easter egg bomber! ;)

BEAT THAT! :D

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I think time deserves it's own separate thread:)
It's a dimension of measurement much like length, breath, height created by us to rationalise things. So basically I agree with you Cascade. Kinda agree with you. It exists because it has meaning for us. Even if it didn't have meaning for us, ie we did not have a concept of time it would still exist only we wouldn't call it time. We wouldn't call it anything. We'd just not know about it, but events would continue to occur and hence time, which is our name for this phenomena would continue, just liek my badly spelled posts:D

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
How about a wave of particles?

If light is a particle, then it must have mass (right?).
Mass can be measured. So, how much does it weigh?

Boy: "Yes sir, I'd like 3 pounds of light please."

Clerk: "Ah.. Sure, but you're going to need a bigger bucket."

If the sun (Sol) blinked out of existence, (p0p!) would you see it or feel it first?

What is gravity? Don't describe it's effect, dissect it, what's it made of?

Or, is it only an effect (result, consequence)?

Is light an effect?

Furby Autopsy

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
liz - i must agree with you on bot subjects

light a wave of particles - yes i think that is the best way to describe it.
as you say if it is a particle it must have mass, and i dont think you can weigh light, or can you?
also an property of a particle is it can most likly be containded, and you cant contain light, can you.

well maybe with a box of mirrors, hmmm might be nice experiment, capture light.........

step 1

get a box of mirros facing inwards

step 2

let light reflect in it and close the box

step 3

see if you havecontained the light......... urhmmmm, how can that be done if you cant look in it cuse it will go out if you open the box...............

never mind that ;)

on the subject of gravity, i also think you are right liz.

it think its only a result of a process.

as for the process.

i have no idea why it works....
the main thing is said to be the spin of the earth that is suppost top keep us here, but if some thing spins it should move out words right?

what a coincedens i have been watching a documentary about sme thing like that.

it was about the universe expending.

the main thought was that when the BIGBANG accured the univers was moving away, but as all things due to gravity it was thought that when the exploson took place and the planets and galaxies drifted away, they would also come back to the centre again, resulting in a BIG IMPLODe or some thing like that.

in adition the the expansion of the universeit was suppost to slow down and return again.

taking this in notice scientist have taken pictures of supernovas of a special type and calculated the speed and distance and more of that stuff.
but they found out hte universe is actualy accalerating.

they have come up with a theory abotu what they called "dark matter".

this dark matter is suppost to be some sort of counter part to gravity.

as einstein has once discrbes as his bigges failure in his time, the cosmic constant as he named it (wich was something like that there is a constand force of matter that keeps the cosmic static) seemed to be right after all.

what this has to do with ne thing i have no idea ;) just thought it might sund intelligent.

and oh yeah i also think this dark matter is what keeps us stikking to the planet.......

hope it makes ne sence, problably but what the hell it sounds kewl :D

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Light isn't accellerated by an accellerator.

Actually, from what little I remember of my physics (and remember, I don't actually have a college education yet) Light is actually electrons breaking down and reforming. Or something to that effect.

Couldn't possibly explain the math behind it cause I'm ignint.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Don't make jokes about light. Light is a wonderful sacred thing, and you shouldn't joke about it. What if I started making jokes about umm...gamma particles? You wouldn't like that very much would you?

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
I will do the same thing as Dudester and just observe and smile. :D I now watch Star Trek as a comedy. I just can't stop laughing at all the bs they make up. I majored in Applied Physics and let me just say, Light cannot be described to understand it. It can only be equated to be understood. ;) And no, you cannot go the speed of light, that is according to Albert's E=MC^2.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Originally posted by Lizard Of Oz

If light is a particle, then it must have mass (right?).

No. A particle doesn't neccessarily have mass. The same goes for neutrinos. It just a particle of energy without mass.

Gravity:
According to the newest developments in sience gravity is caused by strings (superstring theory). Call them g-strings if you want ;)