Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Okay Lurk... if indeed L4D is changing your settings by itself without you knowing, this will prevent that:

In your steam games list right click Left4Dead and click properties. Then click the Set Launch Options... button.

Paste this:

+voice_forcemicrecord 0

in that box and click ok. See if that helps any.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Just wanted to let you know that I might not be around tonight... I seem to have caught some virus pretending to be an anti-virus program, and I'm likely gonna have to wipe/reinstall.

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
I've dealt with a number of those. Some are easy to remove, others are a total pain in the ass. If its not a rootkit you should be able to remove it. I'd recommend bleepingcomputer.com. It may take a couple days, but they can save you from a fresh install.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
I'll add it to my bookmarks, but it's too late to save me from the fresh install.
Truth be told; I was thinking about it anyway... too much installed as it was, and I wanted to combine my C: and E: partitions back into one drive anyway.

Now it's all about updates, protection, and deciding what games I want to reinstall.
Anyone know of any good (free) anti-malware programs?

Morty

The getting killed man!!
Feb 22, 2005
Ohio...that suck ass STATE.
For the software acting like a virus....there is usually a single EXE file running the whole thing. Safe mode, look in c:\documents and setting\(login ID)\application data. Look for a crazy named file and usually it only has one EXE in it. Rename it to .old and reboot. You might need to run MSCONFIG to remove the start up service/shortcut.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I'll add it to my bookmarks, but it's too late to save me from the fresh install.
Truth be told; I was thinking about it anyway... too much installed as it was, and I wanted to combine my C: and E: partitions back into one drive anyway.

Now it's all about updates, protection, and deciding what games I want to reinstall.
Anyone know of any good (free) anti-malware programs?

Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, is free and really does a good job.
http://www.malwarebytes.org

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Just picked up a new headset (Logitech - $35) and CoD MW2... so Dev and I can play together too!
Well Dev, it looks like I picked up the wrong game... sry. :(

Last edited:

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
I'm still playing L4D with ya, but tonight I had to do the paperwork on a house... other than packing and moving, we should be back to normal monday.