KiiiiiiYAWP!!! (arse-kicking proficiency)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nic2128

Biotech student
Oct 9, 2001
Quebec, Canada
Started Taekwondo when 5 years old...

I'm 20 now, 3rd dan. I get paid to teach at a school, and in 2 years I should have the right to have my own school.

Usually people don't mess around with me (mostly because I beat up everyone during fights):

• The good thing is that I can say and do whatever I want with little consequences.
  • The bad thing is that I tend to scare people. My best friend (a girl) told me I should try to be nicer since I tend to scare women. Since the time she told me I try to smile a bit more.

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
Papapishu said:
What does the zhang stand for?

The whole title translates into "eight trigram palms" or at least I've heard it mentioned as such.

DeDpoet|BuF said:
y is Ba Gua Zhang your fav? just curious..

It's not like anything I've studied before - very different! This is the first "internal" art I've ever tried...I'm mostly intrigued by the "Chi Kung" or health/healing aspect...cultivation of the body's energy or "Chi" through a series of excercises. When used in fighting applications along with correct internal/external body alignment it can be a devastating: the form involves constant movements of a body that can be light as a feather one moment, rooted solidly to the ground the next. Not too many kicks are used, and there are a lot of open-handed strikes instead of fists. It's also very free in terms of execution - adaptation is encouraged and there's a lot less rules. No belts either! :eek:

Last edited:

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Tae Kwon Do and Shaolin Do. Never really took organized classes, I have a very close friend-neighbor who teaches, and I sometimes drop by to talk and train. If I had to rank myself, TKD is higher, brown, possibly red belt. I did take some organized TKD a LONG time ago, and got to Blue belt. Hell, I'm not even sure if they use the same ranking system now.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
DeDpoet|BuF said:
iolair - a question about fencing - is that with foils / rapier style? I'm curious. I'm thinking of getting into kenjutsu - just intrigued by the art of the japanese sword.
Yeah, I do western fencing ... there are 3 weapons: foil, epée and sabre. I just do epée as the other 2 are too encumbered by rules! With epée it's as simple as it gets - hit the other person (anywhere) before they hit you.

Jinx256

Dawn
Jan 29, 2003
the wired
Visit site
Papapishu said:
Someone once told me Karate and Tae kwon Do was the two martial arts that drew most psychos ;)

Whoever told you was right. I quit Tae Kwon Do while I was a red belt (day before my test for brown belt, which I would have made no sweat) because of the psychos.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
_Zd_Tapeworm_ said:
I know kung fu.

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was gonna say that!!! :D

http://www.realultimatepower.net

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
that realultimatepower.net is awsome. I was reading through the hate mail and I cant believe how much that guy gets, its just a freaking joke for crying out loud. :lol:

And they seriously believe he is 10 years old. No 10 year old could do a site like that. :p

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
Jinx256 said:
Whoever told you was right. I quit Tae Kwon Do while I was a red belt (day before my test for brown belt, which I would have made no sweat) because of the psychos.

.. sadly a lot has been lost in the teaching of TKD. I myself have gone in and out of a few schools where it's all about:

1) belt status
2) fighting

Basically why I left the schools. Too much bravado and "look at me, I can kick your @ss!" as opposed to the weighty precepts of respect, loyalty, courtesy, self-control. Take 'crouching tiger, hidden dragon' for example. Li Mu Bei's concern for the girl is that w/o proper training, she would become a 'poisoned dragon.' With only studying the art of Wudan fighting, the fear is that it'd be dangerous to have a rogue power unrestrained in conscience, self-control, or even discernment of right/wrong. I bet a majority of TKD schools have no idea who the HwaRang were.

Self confidence is a good thing. Having too much of it to the point of haughtiness or arrogance is not. It breeds only strife and conflict. Better to have humility (a sober assesment of one's station and skill).

there's much i'd like to say, but ... *sigh* i'll quit lecturing (or is it ranting?)

-DP

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
I agree with you very much DP, and I'm glad to say it's quite scarce in the practice I'm taking now. I feel very content just learning.

nic2128

Biotech student
Oct 9, 2001
Quebec, Canada
DeDpoet|BuF said:
lecturing (or is it ranting?)

Well you know, people in martial arts are like in real life.

Many of them will try to impress others. In a way, you have to understand it. Realizing that you are getting better gives you a lot of confidence, something that a lot of people need. Believing in yourself is probably one of the main things martial arts have taught me.

Of course, along the years you need to realize that you need patience, control and humility. Now that I'm a regular teacher I understand the responsability I have to show the good example.

Unfortunately, not every teacher has this attitude. Their students will often reflect this behaviour. They do not really care for other people, only for themselves. These people are the ones giving a bad name to martial arts. Usually, I do not hesitate to give a lesson to *******s like that, so they can remember that whatever good you may be, there is always something you need to learn.

The spirit of martial arts is getting better (mentally and physically) than you were, not getting better than others.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
DeDpoet|BuF said:
.. sadly a lot has been lost in the teaching of TKD. I myself have gone in and out of a few schools where it's all about:

1) belt status
2) fighting

Basically why I left the schools. Too much bravado and "look at me, I can kick your @ss!" as opposed to the weighty precepts of respect, loyalty, courtesy, self-control.

Boring. If I want to learn respect, loyalty, courtesy and self-control, I'll go to a church or enrol myself into kindergarten.

I quit karate because there was too much emphasis on getting the next belt, personally. I think on average, we probably sparred - properly sparred - once every pretty much never.