Judge orders MS to reveal code

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Originally posted by [HDS]Hybrid
Hey, why do they have to reveal code? Is it because they used Linux network code? Because, Linux as open source forbids any company to SELL linux code, and microsoft is doint that with this network code, and the only prove that microsoft used this linux code is if you look in the source.

It's this that makes then having to show the code, right? I hope so at least, I'd love to see M$ having to stop selling WinXP :)

Have you paid any attention at all? Linux networking code? Where the hell did you get that? MS uses their own stacks, and always has. They totally violate half the RFC's out there.
Read the GPL. The read a MS EULA. You've obviously read neither.
Linux CAN be sold, nothing forbids it. However, the source must be made freely available. So companies like RedHat make their source available for download, as well as selling boxed product.

Read the dispute, and then PAY ATTENTION.

The reason MS has to reveal it's source to specific state representatives, NOT to the general public is to prove that it's not lying about IE being too closely tied to the OS to unbundle.

How difficult a concept is this?

Assymilator

No idea what to put here.
Feb 18, 2001
It's Not Atlanta, GA
although I think it a bit stupid they have to do that, the judge has the authority and there must've been a good reason to do so (like for instance what chryst said)

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
MS uses their own stacks, and always has.

I think the young man was confused as to Linux being the same as a BSD.

Microsoft has been using FreeBSD TCP/IP stack code in the NT line since Windows 2000, something which while allowed by the BSD license, is still a little on the dishonest side because they've neglected to follow the advertising clause of the BSD license.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Originally posted by SIMPLYCOSMICv2.0

I think the young man was confused as to Linux being the same as a BSD.

Microsoft has been using FreeBSD TCP/IP stack code in the NT line since Windows 2000, something which while allowed by the BSD license, is still a little on the dishonest side because they've neglected to follow the advertising clause of the BSD license.

I stand somewhat corrected.
:)