JB-Skaraphat [was: JB-Bio vegetal]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I still have got a version, which I did some work on for the last JELP.
Here is the change list:
- Changed wrong player starts
- Added top blocking volume
- Reduced corona's
- Changed Level description
- Changed screenshot material sequence a bit
- Changed loading screen a bit
- Changed Panoramascreen to LODSetInterface
- Compressed some textures (LoadingScreen, etc)
- probably some other stuff ...
If someone has the time and wants it as a base for completing it (some weapon re-placement would be nice), please let me know.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
omg LOL.

This map is one of the first UT2004 JB one, and the first NC3 2k4JB one.
I am not sure if we should bother on it honnestly, there is barely no Z axis and way to many things to fix. The jail sequence also need a re-work (coding), bots jump of the platform, but the human players can still crouch and don't fall.

Will try to work on something else instead. I just need to finish what i'm doing already :hmm:

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You can always do it, but try to make the human players fall in the jail will be a sport.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I never worked much with kickers. I know spoondog used them in his 'laser-fence' style jail map. It seems to be very usefull.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I've just played it.

Sure there's z-axis! It's just that the bots never use it! They NEVER go to get the flak, and barely go up the lower walkway for the powerup.
And yeah, those coronas are a bit too bright.

There's grass poking through the base of a pillar, and it's also a nasty place to get stuck.

I'd do something about the lightning gun too. The whole map turns into a snipe-fest right from the start, even in the bases.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Some unfinished business:

JB-Skaraphat-v2-beta1

The last work I did was exactly 1 year ago.
At that time I just changed the static meshes in jails into movers, so the could be shifted (or turned) at capture and people would fall off.

Change log (so far):
- Changed wrong player starts
- Added top blocking volume
- Reduced corona's
- Changed Level description
- Changed screenshot material sequence a bit
- Changed loading screen a bit
- Changed Panoramascreen to LODSetInterface
- Compressed some textures (LoadingScreen, etc)

ToDo List:
- Finalise movers in jail
- Add kickers in jail
- Botpathing
- Weapon placement
-Perhaps add Custom Monsters in execution (would it be easy to to convert custom raptortype playerskins into Custom Monsters?)

Due to my current lack of time, maybe somebody else wants to continue with it (if OK with Kantham) ...

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
I'd like to have a go at re-lighting the bases, a bit of optimisation and weapon placement, if that's ok with Kantham :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yes, sure :)

By the way, i just played Gravity yesturday on FBu, Awesome map :tup:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Old map this one, one of the first custom JBs out... Reminds me my newb times... :p
I like the layout this one has in the outside area, but the bases are definitely not of my taste... Way too campable IMO, 3 different paths outside, only a deadend in the base... of course I'd defend on the deadend... :D Another thing I don't like much is the Minigun, the map just feels like a Minigun spray, especially the first wave at the begining of every round.

These are my layout and item placement suggestions [In addition to 'Remove the Minigun please']: :)
skaraphat18pm.jpg

skaraphat27zd.jpg

skaraphat36te.jpg

skaraphat43qj.jpg

Other minor things:
- The map needs loads of BlockingVolumes, you can get stuck everywhere if you walk near a wall... :p
- IMO the flying crafts would look better without that kind of televisions on them...
- A 'Door' NavigationPoint is needed at each jail. The bots try to get out of the jail if you put your ShieldGun ready to jailfight. It also needs an AssaultPath system, I can look at this you want, although this one looks pretty easy... :rolleyes:
- The PlayerStarts should be aiming towards a weapon (now the weapon is right behind the PlayerStarts... ;))
- Lower the grass, you should be able to see something when you aren't crouching down.
- There's a spelling error in the jail picture.
- Some JailCameras around would be nice.

Keep up the good work! :tup:

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I think the hole in the lower walkway is good -- it gives you a brief moment of not being shot at!
Also, the deadend could be shortened, but not removed totally.
It's a very small map. You need to defend close to the base, otherwise you're too much in the open, good players can get you nearly right out of their base.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
My PC just crashed horribly while trying to join a server, now UT & UnrealEd won't start and no amount of restarting / copying files will fix it so I'm having to reinstall :rolleyes:

Here's what I was working on this morning - weapon placement was done before lec's suggestions so it's a bit different ;) I like your ideas except for the switch / shock rifle setup :p IMO the switch needs to be out of sight from the rest of the map, otherwise it will be too hitscan-dominated. This is the reason I kept the shock rifles near to where they were and placed the lightning gun at the centre. I like the idea of the dodge ramps, that middle path seems a bit too linear.

Changes:
- Reworked the lighting in the bases
- Added basic INI-proofing (kill volume under terrain, limitation volume around the jail door limiting the translocator) :lol:
- Added a few blocking volumes
- Changed the texture and lightmap of the floors in the base - the dark texture made it very hard to distinguish players
- Removed unnecessary meshes on the floor near the lock
- Deleted extra skins from weapon bases

Weapon placement:
- The weapons on one side of the map never actually spawned, link and flak bases were set to spawn nothing :confused:
- Replaced minigun with link
- Replaced the link with the rocket launcher and moved it (minigun is now gone)
- Moved 50 shields into base doorways
- Replaced keg with lightning gun
- Moved the shock rifle
- Moved bio further away from the pillar
- Re-arranged most of the ammo
- Moved the two healh packs away from the side of the map
- Added health vials to the middle ramps

http://www.hazelwhorley.com/downloads/jb-skaraphat-v2-beta2.rar

Botpaths need altering, mainly placement of nodes, jump spots and assault paths. The level preview and jail screens will need updating eventually to reflect the new visual changes. I was going to move the locks out of the dead end a little. Might be a good idea to put blocking volumes on the topmost walkway meshes too, it sticks there sometimes. I probably won't be able to look at this again until Thursday (exams) :( so does anyone else want to pick this up in the meantime?

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I'd like to polish some things in it, mainly BlockingVolumes and Bots, but also dodgeramps and minor visual details... if you agree of course... :rolleyes:

Good placement changes btw... :tup:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
OK, worked a little on it. :D

JB-Skaraphat-v2-Beta3

Changes:
- BotPathing completed (AssaultPaths and JumpSpots). Also added some transloacator-jumps, so I hope they'll ever be used... :rolleyes:
- Added a bunch BlockingVolumes. The ramps and some meshes in the base aren't blocked, though.
- Added dodgeramps and removed the handrails from the platform in the middle.
- Lowered foliage.
- Added JBCameras.
- Added yellow and blue-ish lights in the main wall of the bases, and other minor texture and mesh changes all around (got rid of those overseen arrows... \o/)
- Item placement stays as it was done by Hazel, except some minor things.
· The Switch was moved out of the deadend (No, not at the base door! :D).
· LinkGun moved beside the Pillar.
· Shield moved a bit more inside the base.
· The DoubleDamage spawns at the begining of every round, in order to avoid everyone rushing to the middle.
· PlayerStart tweaks.

Feel free to undo anyting you don't like... :) (Well, don't screw up the BotPaths or the Blocking... you know what I mean... :p)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Really love this version, let me know when it's done, i'll update it on my website crediting everyone who worked on it.