Is it me or does it seem that the majority of ppl play this game offline?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
There are a few of us here thay enjoy small one one one or two on two games on small maps and would be more than happy to show you somethings. For starting out that is a good option.

I have lost count how many times I used a pistol on Dogtown put bullets at new players feet then telling them to try again and explain things. Sometimes INF would turn into a glorified messenger service.

Time is an issue for me as well I and do my best to play atleast twenty minutes online a night. For me it can be a problem due to dial-up but such is life.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Since I've been playing Planetside I've been finding I've got very little patience for how people are in small-server team-based adversarial games.

Infiltration is better than 99% of those games, but people still do the "OMDWTFBSH4XBBQ!!111" thing from time to time and take stuff really personally (Yeah I know I can be the biggest arsehole going on a server) at times.

The other thing with Inf is the minute number of people playing. You've got very few servers to choose from and you know that you're going to get pwned by the people that are on those servers because everyone has been playing the same game for so long.

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Remember how I said I'd try online? Well...

Howdy Gents!

In spite of the fact that I said "Good night" after my last post, I ended up trying to join an ONline match last night, but to no avail. :( When I say I'm going to do something, I feel an overpowering need to do it RIGHT away. lol Since this is my 1st time trying to hop on, I don't know what the server administrator may have seen in my numerous attempts to get on, but this is what I saw...

1st, I selected a match that was DTAS oriented (I can't recall the exact name of the server). As soon as I tried to open it, text displayed on my screen, and I'm assuming from the titles and the scrolling numbers that I was automatically downloading/installing mutators and mods that were in use on said server but that I did not yet have installed--am I correct in assuming these two main points of observation (1. Text=mut being downloaded, and 2. Said muts are automatically INSTALLED)?

So, after watching this stream of text run for 7 min. or so, it stopped, but I had yet to actually join the match. So, I selected the "Open" button again, and a new text message was produced; it said something like "XM8 mut not compatible." I'm VERY sure that I have the most up-to-date version of Duke's creation from Combatmaps.de, so I interpreted this as meaning that maybe I needed to have the mut deactivated from my mutators list, which is what I did. Of course, the incompatibility message was displayed once more when I tried opening the match again. From these experiences, should I assume the following to be true: 1. The XM8 mut I have is NOT the latest build and/or it does NOT exactly match the XM8 that IS in use, in either case, WHERE will I find the build of the XM8 that IS being used on servers? 2. It does NOT matter which muts I have activated/deactivated in MY mutators menu, ALL that matters is that I have the muts that are being used by the SERVER installed within MY version of INF's file structure? 3. The "Open" menu button IS the key that actually attempts to allow a player to JOIN a running match? 4.a. The stream of text I first saw displayed with the scrolling numbers was my system downloading AND installing the muts/mods the server had running for the match? 4.b. If the stream of text ONLY indicates that muts were downloaded, but NOT installed, where would I find these newly downloaded files so that I can manually install them?

I then tried joining a different match, and I think I ended up downloading one or two more muts, but I was again rejected on the basis of the XM8 being incompatible.

So, after 40 min. of this, I went to bed as my eyes were now rolled fully back, looking at my snoring brain. :(

The good news is that I'm sure someone's going to hold my hand through this thing, just so they can fill me full of holes. ;) I'll come back here to see how my questions were answered, make adjustments to files if need be, and try again in the NEAR future. I HAVE TO first test out a beta patch for the FM 3 mod, and make numerous final adjustments to its ini files so that the patch can be publicly released. Then there's my wife's stepmom who was induced to deliver her baby last night, so the little guy should be popping out today, and then there's my refrigerator that died on us 3 days ago that I have to empty out (the refrigerator is somewhat working, but NO doubt about it, the food's still spoiling), and then there's the lesson plans I have to research for and create for my continuing ed, adult enrichment, and grades 1-5 students, and then there's the yard work, and I've got a piece of meat stuck inbetween my teeth that I got to dig out, and then... Well, I think you understand my snapshot of the overwhelming picture. ;) Did I mention that I have yet to shave my unibrow? :lol: No, I do NOT have a unibrow, so don't even mention it in the future. ;)

(SDS)benmcl, it's players such as yourself that'll keep new blood coming into the game, and then STICKING around to keep participating in it. I'm looking forward to working with you, and I'm grateful for your training offer. Thank you.

Now, time for me to go and empty out that refrigerator.

Yours!

:)

Last edited:

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
Jesus, his posts ARE too long. I found myself reading all the posts (even Don's ...) and skipping his. :lol: Anyway, not only does that figure include all previous versions (apparently), but those who had to redownload onto another computer or to reinstall. Not that that EVER happens ...

Oh, and a real easy way to ensure you have all the right files is to either download the mutie pack from Odie's sig or go to ftp.clanterritory.com and get all the files Shan uses on the servers.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
That is odd concerning the Xm8 if you are sure that you got the latest installed. Turning off the mutator won't help. Try moving dukeXM8b.u file from your system directory and reconnect again. Let it download of the server into your cache.

Sometimes, although rare, it is the file in the cache that is giving you trouble.

Not sure how much you know about the cache stuff but to save time asking back and forth.

In your cache directory is a file called cache.ini. There you will see a bunch of lines:

435C20884F276B0F35F86E9BE296868A=LoadoutManager.u
64E7698011D8DB0050006C9D6CB026BA=dukeXM8b.u
2D35A8C947A1F94E26F5BF9DE0014DE7=bulletsounds4.u
15D7776011D703235000DDA86CB026BA=DXBathUtils.u

All this is is a list of file names 64E7698011D8DB0050006C9D6CB026BA.uxx associated with what file dukeXM8b.u

If you keep a file from the cache just rename that insane long file name to the proper name and put where you have to. Delete the line from your cache.ini file.

If the problem is with the cahce file just delete or move the file and remove the line from the cache.ini.

Also to note that if you wish to use these files off line you will neeed some additional stuff. 2 other files in the Xm8 case. dukeXM8.int and Dukexm8.ini. One tells INF that the mutator is there and allows it to show, the int file, and the other has settings. The ones you have in your system directory alreadyshould be fine.

Also there are programs that allow you tow work with the cahce, I just never bothered to try them.

Mismatches are a way of life around here. They will happen. In my sistuation on slow dialup it can be a real pain. I just try to plan ahead. Also incase you are not aware combat maps has a server listing that shows all the maps and mutators a dozen or so servers are currently running.

Edit: Try Taques suggestion first.

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Your posts aren't too long Kyle. They're of an excellent length. I think other people here just have short attention spans. :) Your posts show that you've got determination to say what you need to say, and I appriciate that.

Blitzschlag

Aug 20, 2003
Good old Axis (Germany)
www.101st.here.de
Lord Belial said:
Personally I don't play online because I'm on 56k and in Australia ;) Even if I was on broadband I'd find it difficult to find a good server.

I've persuaded a couple of friends to download INF when I was in my initial "OMG GAME IS SOO GOOD." phase, but we couldn't get it working on a LAN, kept crashing.

I know someone in Germany who is on 56k and playing online, so there is no problem.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I connect at 26400 giving me about a 275-300 ping. I suck at the game but manage to have a tonne of fun. Give it a try. The only exception is I will get off when more than 10-12 people get on. The lag starts to get to high around that number.

~viper~

lo
Jun 15, 2004
MA
as said earlier, a simple way to avoid a version clash is to take all related files (in this case, xm8 related files -- .int, .ini, .u) and move them to a different folder.
Play online, then when you want to play w/ the xm8 again offline, put them back in the UT/system folder

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
Our Pal said:
I don't see the reason for playing offline unless there are no servers.

my 56k modem is what stops me.

I used to play more regularly but I do, however, put in a handful of hours every once and a while when I am on someone else’s LAN, and that is when my love of INF resurfaces. :tup:

I can see how it may take a while to download all the mods/maps but if you just *do it* and keep playing regularly then you should only have to DL a new file every once and a while.

just bite the bullet. ;)

(BTW: i too was plagued by the XM8 mismatch and was never able to find a package that worked both on and offline. for the longest time I have just moved the files around like someone else mentioned.)

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I dont play online because I too think the majority of online people are asshats.

And I just don't feel like checking INF spy all night and then hop on when the server is full of great people.
INF still is a great experience with those great people, I am sure, but I just don't have time nor mood to hop on whenever others are on.
And no hopping on and waiting for others to join isn't exactly an answer either :p

After about 3 years of loving online play, I started to play offline again. Not only INF, but ALOT of games. I (re)discovered that an offline will always give you a great experience, while online will sometimes give you an awesome experience. And it's just not worth the "wasted" time when you can't allow yourself to have too many of those.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
I find INF to be one of those games whose potential all lies online. Bots are great (as in they exist) but the good experience is always online. Even being a part of the community online (like making fun of people :p) makes it worth it.

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Nukeproof said:
IMHO bad connection is the only reason not to play online. Beeing grandmaster of bots is nothing to be too proud of ;)

Damm, I must really sux cause those bots kick my ass more times than not. Perhaps I should not have them on God level...

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
There are just too many glitches in the bot code, Odie. Like leaning... Once you get to know the bots they are a piece of cake.

I just spend my time on the firing range, for some reason I enjoy walking around in aim mode firing.

Wish I could do that IRL (err without the walking + firing thing, just aiming + firing ;))

Captain Colon

Jul 3, 2004
(SDS)benmcl said:
I connect at 26400 giving me about a 275-300 ping. I suck at the game but manage to have a tonne of fun. Give it a try. The only exception is I will get off when more than 10-12 people get on. The lag starts to get to high around that number.
Of course you have a ton of fun, who can hit you when you're warping all over the screen? ;)

And kyle, your posts ARE too long, but you can always just hop on a server for 20 minutes of chat then leave :p

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Actually I don't warp all that often and people have no problem killing me. When I do warp I know and hold off for a bit or leave. The odd time when I don't notice the guys know me well enough not to freak and let me know. Like I said it doesn't happen that often and usually just with lag spikes when the server is nearly full and the AKs start opening up. I will point out I rarly play with 16+ players at once for this reason but sometimes it is fine.

Kyle your posts are not too long.