Is everybody becoming a Shock Combo Whore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Queen LaQuiffa

May 14, 2000
dkjlkfkuflk
kfhfjk
I have been working diligently at becoming a shock whore. I hated shock whores with a passion and I tried everytihng to kill them but I always got the $hit smacked out of me. Now with quite alot of practice I have come a long way but I'm still not up to pimp status. Flak, sniper rifle, and mini-gun still rip me up. The greatest shock whore I know is BladeRadius{MAD}. He is unstoppable. As soon as this guy jumps in a game I basically give up. I might as well have 600 ping with 40% packet loss. :( If you can't beat 'em join 'em. but even then he still smacks me down.

[CTCR]Your_Father

Aug 2, 2000
Visit site
I'm morally against the shocker movement. I used to be more of a telefragger/rocket guy, but with all these shockers coming around it has forced me to work on my skills with other weapons. The best way to counter shockers is with the minigun (alt-fire), or if you don't have that, the sniper rifle. Both of these weapons can easily knock these guys out of their rhythm. Also I have found it very effective to always face the shockers. They will shoot the shock ball to where they anticipate you to be, just move away from it and use the minigun/snipe them. Most shockers don't know what to do when you react like this, so they will continue using the shock rifle and end up dead. Many are so set on using the shock rifle, that they've forgotten how to do anything else.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
All I'll say is I'm hanging my RL and purchasing a shock rifle from my friendly neighbourhood gund dealer. I played some really good players lately who made me feel like a newbie again and it's true they used the schock combo more then anything else to get frags. Some use it exclusively.
The minigun is good and all but a good player can still pull off a combo and move out before he/she takes too much damage from the mini.

Troll|PuF

Poetic Terrorist
May 2, 2000
Temporary Autonomous Zone
/me luvs the shock now

After about a month and a half of solid practise I finally got the hang of the shock. YAY! (every time I played DM I would force myself to use it, by bumping it up to my 2nd highest priority weapon after the RL)And as with anything else, once you do something over and over ten bizillion times, you start to do it as if it were second nature. The other night in a TDM game I noticed I was so used to hitting that shock ball that I was doing it while dodging, I was combing at an angle, and once I even did one on my way down off a ledge. The hardest thing tho I've found is: pulling off a combo while in a firefight. And as Morety mentioned, a good aim with the sniper from the hip will take care of those pesky shockers nice and quick. Except for any member of |C|. If you see one of them with a shock rifle, just lie down and accept your fate. :)

~Cobra~

Cursed!
Apr 7, 2000
Visit site
i don't really know anyone who can pull off a moving combo consistently besides moving forward or backward... i've been experimenting strafing combos against you sniper whores but with 250+ ping ferget about it... but i hope i get it down...

oh and the reason so many people are using it is because it doesn't require the greatest of aim and kills off the guy/gal fairly quickly... but i still love my RL :D

Charioteer

Aug 5, 2000
UK
I watched Tempest's shock combo used to great effect on the Temp vs. TheRock demo (last week) and was inspired to practice it myself. I downloaded a map called "Shock Ho" and set to whacking things (technical terminology, translations available on request) - I wasn't impressed at first as I wasn't able to gauge the range for the explosion and my target kept moving....damn him....But when I saw that two indirect hits spluttered out the enemy's shield belt, I was happy to include the shock combo in future matches (against bots, I'd die against anything with a soul). I wouldn't call myself a shock whore, I'm just going through phases of learning the different aspects of UT. Hopefully, one day, I shall even telefrag someone.

I'm guessing it'll be by accident.

But that's just as good :)

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
O yeah, and Pheer, telefragging usually refers to throwing your translocator at someone and as soon as it hits them, you teleport and turn them inside out ;) ... Also, killing someone's translocator and then they try to use it (recall it or teleport) is called a telefrag as well (not recorded as such in stats though)

Charioteer

Aug 5, 2000
UK
If I may....

1 - Rematerialising within another player by flinging the teleporter disc thingy beneath their feet and pressing 'choke on that.'

2 - Setting the rocket launcher to fire immediately instead of stacking whilst holding down the 'choke on that and fry' button.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

PH33R

Aug 1, 2000
come.to
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh thnx, thought there was some cool binding like the old quake(fire rocket without switching) binding ;)

Diving Mullah

Jan 11, 2000
Los Gatos, CA, USA
Visit site
Shock Rifle is without a doubt the best weapon UT has to offer, it is both offensive and defensive. it is medium to short range. Don't take the primary weapon too lightly. It too can punch a whole through anybody.

There are few weapons that people don't use very often and one being the Goo Rifle and the other is the ripper.

Shock Rifle is a great weapon and I do use it instinctively, but lately I have forcing myself to use the Goo gun and it is great.

Krypton|BuF

Still g00 gun lovin' !
Sep 7, 1999
Switzerland
www.unrealtournament.ch
Yeeeahaaawwww.

Finally someone that likes the GooGun. I used to use it much to little (can I say "used to use"?). But it's great. Fully loaded, it can kill anybody. I load it up, run around, and if a poor guy using flak or whatever comes towards me... Blobbb, he has to die. Normally dodging like mad, he hits the slow flying gooball by himself.
Or great as a defensive weapon while running backward, escapeing. Yes, you can't directly hit somebody, but they at least don't follow you.

And I am an expert in sliming myself after hitting others:(

PH33R

Aug 1, 2000
come.to
Only problem is that people seem to be using the shock rifle a bit tooooo much dont ya think??

Guess i had better get some practice in with the Sniper from the hip ;)

Oh and i mustve stood still the otherday for about 2 minutes while some newbie tried a shock combo and i kept shooting his alt fire with my primary fire, OMG ive never laughed so much :)

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
1337 5h0C|< |-|03-|31Tc|-|35...........

A true shock-ho does not rely on combos alone. Moving shock combos are a very important skill, (if not downright random without a stable connection) but the ability to know exactly where your opponent will be, frame by frame, to the closest inch is what provides the kill. In addition, a true shock combo also knows the value of a well placed primary fire(very effective against snipers, as it turns their vision purple and shakes it around for a bit) as well as secondary fire alone. Shooting someone with the ball and then immediately hitting them with the beam is also extremely effective.

There is a tactical and strategical series of applications for each of the different uses with this weapon. The warrior who knows all of them inside and out will be the master.

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
Combo2a.gif

-]LoL[ Counter-Sniper and Shock-Ho

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
The Shock is a great weapon 'n all, but there are some people I've come across on the servers who use it as if it's the only weapon UT has got. It's like in Street Fighter 2 when someone would just do the same combo or move over and over.

Then again, a very skilled Rocket h0, for example, will always outshoot a mediocre Shock h0 (relatively speaking).

SpiritOFtheNight

Jun 30, 2000
Visit site
I use the shock thing a lot too.

Even though I don't got the right connection I do use the shock combo a lot on the bots. I also use the RL the GES and the Ripper a lot too. Lately i've been so accustomed to them that I can shoot a blade at the ground and get a headshot off. Also shoot at the ground bounce it off a wall and then take their head clean head off. Lately the GES has become VERY powerful to me. I have a five button mouse so I basically pull out my GooGun and when I find a bot I will cover the exits with goo and then continue to pull out my RL and shoot at them. I do this because at the sign of my RL the bots seem to run right out the doors and stepping in my goo. Very fun to watch. On my other mouse button I have it so it switches to my translocator. When I see a ball I pull it out and translocate next to them and take them out. Takes A LOT of practice though and a binded hotkey.

Kaz

Godlike Drunken Spammer
Jun 21, 2000
California
correction:

Everyone is TRYING to become a shock H0...but only a few really get even decent with it...let alone a true shock H0...