Installing XMP on Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PhatEh

Apr 11, 2005
all / anyone,
I am trying to setup a UTXMP server for a friend and I think I am a little confussed as to how to get it running. Could someone point me to a tutorial. I was able to get the UT dedicated server running and has been running fine for a couple days. I downloaded all the UTXMP files and patches. I have those installed in a UTXMP directory. Im not very familiar with the UT startup options. I am using the start.sh and stop.sh for the UT server. Any info would be appreciated.

INFO:
Linux xtremetacticalservers.com 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Feb 14 10:03:50 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

<--directory scructure-->
[vdxmp@xtremetacticalservers ~]$ ls
files ucc.log UT2004-Patch UT2K4 UTXMP
[vdxmp@xtremetacticalservers ~]$

<--list of files I downladed-->
[vdxmp@xtremetacticalservers ~]$ ls files
DedicatedServer3323.zip ut2004-lnxpatch3355.tar UTXMP-beta33105.zip utxmp_publicbeta1a_patch.zip utxmp_publicbeta1_full.zip
[vdxmp@xtremetacticalservers ~]$

Thanks,
PhatEh

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
A little reminder, he is phateh, I am phatazz...thx and gg.

Creig

Back from the dead
Apr 17, 2003
Visit site
PhatEh contact EQ2 from clan DCSB. On there clan irc channel #DCSB irc.quakenet.org . Let him know you are trying to install xmp in linux. Here is some information EQ2 sent me when I was trying to install XMP in linux:

Okay then, the basics are.

Get the latest Wine Package and install it.

Get Wine Tools (from the above link) and install.

Get the package X11-Xvfb-x.x.x for your distro and install it.

Run an X server somewhere and export DISPLAY="host:screen". Obviously replacing host and screen with the appropriate IP address/hostname. As I'm running a remote server via an SSH connection I used X-Win here at home and set DISPLAY="80.46.10.129:0". This may be egg-sucking but I mention it merely for information. This is basic stuff.

With that done, run Wine Tools and you only need to run the basic setup part. This will set up the basics for you, a virtual 'C:' drive etc etc. You need the X server as wt2 uses X dialogue boxes.

The default 'virtual C:' is created in ~/.wine/drive_c/

Next, we need a working install of XMP. My approach was to .zip up the installation from the windoze dedibox and upload that to the Linux dedibox. It's not essential that this installation be preconfigured with all the normal ucc dedi-server stuff but I found that as I was basically working this stuff out as I went along, that I wanted a working install so that I could be sure any problems which arose were purely problems with the Linux/Wine part.

My zipped install was 180MB. It took about a minute to transfer from 1 dedibox to the other: http://www.eq2.co.uk/images/uber.jpg.

Once it's there (I uploaded it directly to the wine virtual C drive), use unzip to recreate the XMP install:

unzip -u ./myzippedxmpinstall.zip -d ./U2XMP

Next. The 1 .dll dependency that XMP under wine has is the file OLE32.DLL which I nicked from my Windows install (this is obviously a 2k install but I imagine 9x/Me/XP would work fine too - wine doesn't seem to be fussy about entry points) and uploaded to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.

Now, to run wine we need an X server - even though ucc won't require it. The way around is to set (in your wine config file (called 'config' in ~/.wine/)) the "GraphicsDriver" = "ttydrv". This isn't ideal though as this seems to prevent the process from being 'bg'd once it's running: meaning that disconnecting from SSH or wanting a shell back terminates the server. So: to get it working we have to stick with "GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv". But we don't want to run an X server on our dedibox because, well - übersystemresourcedrainage.

The answer is to use Xvfb: a 'virtual' X frame buffer which provides a dummy X server which will satisfy wine enough to run ucc.

Run: Xvfb -shmem &. This may chuck out a couple errors. If you get a critical error something like 'can't open default font 'fixed'', then you need to grab an X font package: I used x11-fonts-misc-x.x.x.

Once Xvfb is running. Set your DISPLAY back to "localhost:0", which will make wine use the dummy X server.

Next, cd to ~/.wine/drive_c/U2XMP/System/ and run:

wine ucc.exe server XMP-Alcazar?mutator=XMPSummoner.XMPSummoner

If not using mutators then obviously omit everything from '?' onwards.
This should run your server. Don't be surprised if you're actually using a real X server instead of the dummy one that you get a whole load of 'building font metrics' stuff the first time you run it, and expect a 2 minute or so delay where it appears to hang doing nothing. Using Xvfb is fast though.

Once it's up and running, Ctrl-Z and bg the process (next time just run with & obviously). And you're now ready to test it. The reason I say use a preconfigured server is that you'll know at this point whether any problems you encounter are related to your server config, or are problems with the wine install, so check before you zip/upload that stuff like webadmin work, etc.

The only thing remaining is to write a little shell script to restart the server on crash, perhaps including lines to run [/B]Xvfb and set DISPLAY etc etc. and if you're clever make a note of the PID so that you can use another script to kill it when u want to. If you don't know how to write shell scripts you probably shouldn't even be trying to run a *nix dedi-server. :p

Hope this helps. It all seems so simple but it took me a lot of fannying around to work out a good way to do this which would work.

Good luck,
-Adam

gnarkft

REyM
Apr 9, 2004
This is indeed a tutorial for a u2xmp server (btw, why so hard, it could be done a little easier?, just use screen)

btw, you can get u2xmp client running under winex aswell, pretty funny (8 fps tough :mad: )

anyway, I think you should just do something like "./ucc server XMP-Alcazar"
(make the ucc binary executable if it isn't already with "chmod ucc +x"

PhatEh

Apr 11, 2005
Well its possible that I have everything installed correctly but just not informed on how to start the server. Is anyone running this on Linux? Surely someone is and can copy me their ucc start line and options.

Thanks for all the replys so far

[LNS]ICovetYourChild

=vÐ=ICovetYourChild
Feb 2, 2004
PhatEh said:
Well its possible that I have everything installed correctly but just not informed on how to start the server. Is anyone running this on Linux? Surely someone is and can copy me their ucc start line and options.

Thanks for all the replys so far
I AM AWARE OF WHO YOU ARE AT THIS CURRENT TIME OF DAY!>!"@#?3