INFILTRATION 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

XClutchX

Jan 22, 2008
Just a thought. Do you think Frontlines: Fuel of War could be a good base for Infiltration 3?

XClutchX

Jan 22, 2008
Frontline is a game developed on the Unreal 3 engine.

Yes, I know that. That's part of the point.

It may solve these problems:
1. Familiarity with the code and all of that.
2. Someone said something about Crysis being easier than UT3 to mod to a realistic game because it has a lot of stuff already somewhat realistic.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
1. Yes and know. Having prior knowledge of Unreal Script is not a big plus regarding mods. You'd be on the same level as you are for UT3 (or crysis for that matter). UC is basically C++. Once you master one, you got the other figured out. Most of the work involved is building the mod around the existing class structure. Figuring out what does what in the engine and so forth.

2. That someone was most likely me. Interesting point, but you'll have to check through the EULA to see what material can be reused in a mod and how (and if) it can be modified in anyway. Many secondary games coming out for popular engines have pretty ****ty EULAs. Also, making a mod for some obscure game is not the best way to go at it mod-wise. When ever possible you should only mod the original game where the engine came from.

The idea is good, but I don't think its a practical one.

Stinkmarder

[JgKdo]
Feb 3, 2001
Germany
How about Quake Wars?

+ multi platform (Win, Mac, Linux)
+ content for a humans-vs-aliens game type already included
(for our Coop players)
+ there is a good chance that the engine will become open source one day

Disclaimer: I never played it

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think the inclution of a human vs. alien-scenario should be a consideration when choosing an engine. For me, Infiltration is about realism in a realistic enviroment. That's (again, for me) prio 1.

Then, when everything else is in place, if someone wants to do the human vs. alien-thing, sure.

XClutchX

Jan 22, 2008
To be honest, I don't think the inclution of a human vs. alien-scenario should be a consideration when choosing an engine. For me, Infiltration is about realism in a realistic enviroment. That's (again, for me) prio 1.

Then, when everything else is in place, if someone wants to do the human vs. alien-thing, sure.

Plus, coop can be easily replaced with a realistic game-type. All you need are single-player like maps with AI opponents. It's the same thing and it doesn't take away from realism.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Well, Im waiting on the wiki to come out. They say the crymod team is working on it, so hopefully well soon have something in the way of unrealwiki.
Then..., TAC NUKE VTOL with Explosive Armor!! :lol:

Last edited:

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Just found out that the largest Crysis map size possible is

274,877,907 km^2

or around the size of Europe :)

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Just found out that the largest Crysis map size possible is

274,877,907 km^2

or around the size of Europe
Ok, so whose brave enough to go map Europe out for us? Granted it'd be a PITA to drive from Germany if the fighting is in Spain, but we'll just have to implement some sort of AI controlled transport aircraft.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
We just need an automap program that can interface with google earth.

Bam. done. :D

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
Hey there,

For a while I've not had the time to do any mapping or play any games (let alone Inf), but the board crash rewoke a thread I was subscribed to so I thought I'd have a look round. Since I used to design Inf levels I thought I'd add my $0.02 to this discussion.

What UT3 seems to lack (so far as I am aware) is a decent level of detail (LOD) system to allow big open maps. Look at the levels and you just don't see big wide open outdoor spaces (without lots of fog). By contrast, something like Far Cry worked a treat (no doubt Crysis too - haven't had a chance to install this yet), because e.g. bushes that were far away are reduced to much simpler shapes.

I think you need a decent LOD system to do said large outdoor maps but also big urban levels with freely enterable buildings that have complex/furnished interiors. The problem with this sort of urban level is that the optimisation is screwed - if the buildings are enterable (and the interiors can be viewed from outside) you can see a massive amount of objects at any one time, and nothing is effectively occluded.

Another mundane problem is that few engines allow buildings to be constructed with realistic interiors, because you always have to 'scale up' to avoid the AI (and human) players getting snagged on objects and walls.

I think large outdoor levels and large complex urban levels are the backbone of a decent military simulator such as Inf 3 aspires to be. If you have very linear, constrained levels you end up with a venue for team deathmatch and spawn camping and little else.

I think Battlefield 2, for example, did very well on the outdoor levels, but not so well on the interior/urban front. Some of the levels are nevertheless very evocative, which I respect greatly as an (ex) mapper. COD4 also has some lovely mapping work and very creative level design (if controversial in places).

As an aside, as engines get better, the 'rough edges' of my work show up more and more - I had a level I was doing for UT2004 but getting the models nice enough was just too much hard work. The current generation of engines are probably beyond my means, unless I can find people to fill in the gaps in my abilities.

Anyway, my point after that long, rambling post is that if you're looking for a new engine, you may want to ensure that your chosen engine copes (or can be made to cope) with large, partially occluded and 'busy' levels (e.g. by using decent a LOD system).

If anything can get me back to proper mapping it will be the promise of being able to realise the kind of urban maps I wished I could have done for Inf. There are others (who may be better placed to do so) who might feel the same way...