indigent rage @ Google

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I guess I should give them a pass considering that each of these were one day sort of things. However, it still really bothers me. The simple home page was one of the main factors behind Google's initial rise. It was one of the things I liked the most about it vs yahoo (aside from the great results of course). It bothers me that they are so willing to trounce upon some of the page's founding principles.

To me this is yet another indicator that Google is starting to lose it's way. In so many instances they just seem to lose focus. That doesn't mean that I don't think have any clue where they're headed. Their choices with chrome and android show that they have a good idea of where they want the next generation to go. At the same time the company has absolutely no sense of direction when it comes to individual projects and generating revenue.

Take Buzz for example. It had a few good ideas that I felt fixed issues I had with other micro blogging services. However, they put absolutely no thought into how the service would actually be used. When I post on twitter I intend it to be read by people I've never even communicated with before. I tag messages so that I can pick up new followers that are searching for those keywords. None of this ever occurred to Google leading to all the privacy issues we are so familiar with.

I think the same thing goes with wave. It's the perfect example of what happens when you just turn programmers/engineers lose, and let them run amok. They'll make all sorts of cool stuff without any foresight or cohesive business plan. The end result is a bunch of cool applications with no clear purpose. I feel that you should fulfill a specific need, and then if you do a good job you'll see the user take it in directions you never dreamed. Google never got that far. They just assumed that users would come up with what need it was fulfilling for them.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't see how having themed logos or a background image says anything about how Google's core business operates. They add features they like, they try to not turn them on any more often than they feel is necessary. Google has had themed logos, though, since I started using them heavily back in 2001/2002.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
lol and facepalm and rolleyes @ TWD... all at the same time.

Google is losing it's way???
it's a freaking optional background, dude.
the fact that anyone would complain about this is just silly to begin with. but the fact that you would read so far into it, such that you've typed up 4 whole paragraphs, is almost embarrassing.

it's just a search engine :p

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I really feel that beyondunreal has lost its way. When it first started up when I wasn't even around it really meant something. Now people like Kantham are free to roam the interweb streets. I feel that brizz sold BU's founding principles to a two dollar cross-eyed whore for some bubble gum in exchange.

Lest we forget what the word lest means........furthermore.............to build upon.........Transylvania...............arachnid. In closing, I think hal has nice fingernails.

/blog

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I guess I should give them a pass considering that each of these were one day sort of things. However, it still really bothers me. The simple home page was one of the main factors behind Google's initial rise. It was one of the things I liked the most about it vs yahoo (aside from the great results of course). It bothers me that they are so willing to trounce upon some of the page's founding principles.

To me this is yet another indicator that Google is starting to lose it's way. In so many instances they just seem to lose focus. That doesn't mean that I don't think have any clue where they're headed. Their choices with chrome and android show that they have a good idea of where they want the next generation to go. At the same time the company has absolutely no sense of direction when it comes to individual projects and generating revenue.

Take Buzz for example. It had a few good ideas that I felt fixed issues I had with other micro blogging services. However, they put absolutely no thought into how the service would actually be used. When I post on twitter I intend it to be read by people I've never even communicated with before. I tag messages so that I can pick up new followers that are searching for those keywords. None of this ever occurred to Google leading to all the privacy issues we are so familiar with.

I think the same thing goes with wave. It's the perfect example of what happens when you just turn programmers/engineers lose, and let them run amok. They'll make all sorts of cool stuff without any foresight or cohesive business plan. The end result is a bunch of cool applications with no clear purpose. I feel that you should fulfill a specific need, and then if you do a good job you'll see the user take it in directions you never dreamed. Google never got that far. They just assumed that users would come up with what need it was fulfilling for them.

I agree with that, google just lost it for me anyway, I mean all that undesigned crap like that side bar which should be optional etc.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!

To me this is yet another indicator that Google is starting to lose it's way.
In so many instances they just seem to lose focus. That doesn't mean that I don't think have any clue where they're headed. Their choices with chrome and android show that they have a good idea of where they want the next generation to go. At the same time the company has absolutely no sense of direction when it comes to individual projects and generating revenue.

I'm pretty sure on these very forums i've read this statement more than once. Hell i think i've heard people bitching about google changing minor aspects of the one or two aspects they had to change since the beginning of the century.

I will bet you, right now, that in ten years time the front page of google will be at least 95% exactly the same as it is right now.

I object to your use of the word 'trounce' btw.

I agree with that, google just lost it for me anyway, I mean all that undesigned crap like that side bar which should be optional etc.
So what're you using instead then?

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
What the **** is going on with their logo today? I can't find anything that says anything about it right now. :con:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Dang. To think I could have dug up a 3mo thread instead. ;)

Sorry, normally stay away from threads talking about balls, poop, or any of that stuff, which I regularly see around here for some sick reason. :shake:

Screenshot? It looks normal to me.

Couldn't really get a good shot of it in action, the balls move away from the cursor when you move it close to them, and they get bigger too.

262pbnr.jpg

jf9icy.jpg

Last edited: