Important: I'd like a word with the Brits please.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Serpico_TC|PuF

Feb 20, 2000
Portsmouth
Visit site
Hey guys.

I need to know something. Is the BT flat rate for 9.99 a month a good deal? Are there any catches? Whats the service like? Am I going to have 4 figure pings?

It sounds good to me, and I can't see any catches or restrictions. I don't mind a small drop in pings if it means the freedom of an 0800 number.

The one thing that is sure to wreck my fun in UT is worrying abouut the phone bill. This could be the answer. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Does anyone actually have any experience of it?

Is it esay to do on-line or is it better to get the CD-ROM with the software on?

Are BT going to screw me over?

Hope you can help some. If its and sound as it seem then I'll go for it.

6pm to midnight every week day and from Friday midnight to Sunday midnight at the weekends /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif Nice.

------------------
I control the vertical and the horizontal.

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
I am with Telewest and they do a service called Surf Unlimited where you pay £10 on calls and pay a £10 a month fee It is free at all times. The Ping is acceptable I think.
Its not an 0800 number but it gets subtracted from your bill and there are national dialup numbers so you can always get connected.
I think its a very good service but to make use of it properly you need a second line, like I have got /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

"The're out ta get me, they won't catch me I'm f*cking innocent"--Out Ta get me, Guns n Roses

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
You just know that BT are gonna wait 'till the last possible second before launching this.

I'm gonna wait for the ADSL services to start. Low Ping Bastardom is coming my way! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

I am the almighty Xanholio! I need rockets for my bunghole!

Not to bright

Mar 13, 2000
Visit site
Hey, I'm prettu sure your talking about the BT INternet flat rate accses which is £10 a month, well I connect at a whoping 24bps and get an amzing ping of around 2000000 which ain't bad, lol

Na, IT's pathetic

BT have SAID they hope to start the service in June. And the charge will be over and above what you're paying your ISP AND your ISP has to be one that is participating in the scheme. As of yet, I don't believe a list of such ISPs has been published, although I could be wrong.

Personally, I think it will happen when they feel like it and will be no better or worse than any other BT connection, i.e. you'll be in the same boat as you are now as far as ping and p/l go. I also think they're the most unreliable people in the country to trust this to and no little shrivelled alien git will make me change my mind.

As for ADSL - while it's OK for Zac DOWN in London (I refuse to use that UP to nonsense /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif) the rest of the country will get it at about the same pace of expansion as a glacier.

And mentioning phone bills - my enjoyment of UT has been urinated on from a great height since the last bill arrived, so you'll probably be seeing a lot less of me than before (no cheering at the back).

bullet2.gif

Scragged|PuF

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

I'm on the BT thing. 9.99 a month and an 0800 number weekdays after 6 and all weekend. There is no other additional charge as BT is the ISP. Thats it. Just £9.99. You can use 56k or ISDN.
Though recently pings have sucked. When the original BT Free was done (when it was just the 0800 number at the weekend) the service (i.e ping) sucked for about a month - but then gradually got better. Same things happened again. They've introduced the free phone number for weekday evenings, waited till there get a sufficient number of complaints (i.e. a couple of hundred thousand) from the crap service due to the fact theres now a lot more people on it, then they upgrade there equipment. Bastaards.
Though it is worth it. My pc gets turned on when I get in from work everyday and at 12am Friday evening/saturday morning till 12am sunday evening/monday morning (go GetRight!/Gozilla with it's scheduled downloads /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)
Phone bills dropped dramatically.
Hope this is some help

pmb

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA P.M.Bagpuss[PuF]
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
Hi there! I am soon to be getting that NTL unmetered access thingy when it comes out! I can't wait. Hmm, all day online playing UT sounds good to me! U have been warned! {:->

bullet2.gif

Life is like a box of chocolate; you never know what your gonna get...but 9 times outta 10 it tastes like $hit.

Thanx to Sky for that one!

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
Is there a way of getting a dial up connection for any of these services online?

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

BaronSamedi

RA Konig
Mar 13, 2000
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
I aint got a credit card!......Is there another way?

bullet2.gif

"Tiz i Saron Baramedi!!"

Seven is the answer and the answer is seven!!...........................................Im not mad..im just a bit strange?!

Serpico_TC|PuF

Feb 20, 2000
Portsmouth
Visit site
I think I'll do it. Hopefully it won't take long to set up.

May have it done for thursday /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

The ping aint a big deal, I'll just be a ZP god!

Psychomoggiebagpuss, the pings you've had while we've played together weren't that high. Higher than mine, but for FREE access it has to be worth 9.99 a month!!!!

I won't get pissed off when all you lot do is chat /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

As for ASDL Hahahahaha, when the F*CK is that comming out. London only for the next 2 yrs. Maybe down south in time for my 30th birthday! (that doesn't work....erm...I'm 22...thats better /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)

I'm phoning up BT when I get home...CD in a few days...free internet acces=Fun Fun Fun.

Later guys.

bullet2.gif

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Hehehe yeah I suppose living in a big city such as London does have it's benefits. I'll have ADSL which will give me even less reason to step outside into the fumes /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

For BT's ADSL site, go to http://www.bt.com/adsl/

If you want to go with someone different, try Nildram's ADSL site at http://www.getadsl.co.uk/

While I'm at it, I might as well link up ntl's ADSL site, which is at the address known as http://www.ntl.co.uk/adsl/default.asp

Only 3 more months of high phone billage /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

I am the almighty Xanholio! I need rockets for my bunghole!

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

Serpico.

Don't even bother with the CD. Just sign on on the website. Get your password and username. Create a new dial up connection. Everythings default on it. Dialup server type is "PPP" (UNcheck "software compression" and "log on to network though" (otherwise it takes twice as long to log on) also uncheck everything but TCP/IP. Use server assigned IP and DNS. Tick Header compression and use default gateway. In the modem configuration (under the advanced tab) make sure "use error control","compress data" and "flow control - use hardware" are ticked. The mail servers are pop.btinternet.com and smtp.btinternet.com. The number is 0800 731 7963, or u can use the ISDN number as well (for some reason ping times are lower on this line sometimes using a normal modem)

Have fun

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA P.M.Bagpuss[PuF]
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

Satan_UK

Mar 20, 2000
Visit site
I have been on BTInternet for about a week now and depending on the time I can get quite low ping times, so far the lowest has been about 100 for one match, but most of the time it is about 250+. Which isn't to bad, but I do get a lot of packet loss and end up getting disconnected from games sometimes because of it.

S

Selerox[PuF]

I'd be happy with an average ping of less than 350!

bullet2.gif

PuF: Come play dying.

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff and have your say.

Serpico_TC|PuF

Feb 20, 2000
Portsmouth
Visit site
The guy at BT said that you can't proprerly uninstall the software without the CD. And they highly recommended you use it.

I'm in no rush. Better to do it right than half-arsed. Which is what I'd do if I did it on-line. Plus I have to d/l the software and that would take an age (crap d/l speeds for me).

I should have the disc by Wednesday...so Thursday I'll be playing from 6pm to midnight!!! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif ZP only. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Oh, that reminds me, I live with 4 other people. They'll get pissed if I hog the line. Anyone point me to some good freeware that will hang me and let the phone calls through. Or somehting along those lines.
Would leaving the phone connected to my internet line suffice???

I can't wait. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Plus the way ASDL is going it won't be much faster than a standard connection /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
haven't they already cut the speed and bandwidth in half but doubled the expected rental price? I don't really play enough to justify that sort of dosh out lay.

£9.99 a month will do nicely tho /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I'm well happy! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I need to do a line of smilies to prove it!

/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif