Im quitting smoking

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zenda

Turbo Adept+10%
Jan 31, 2001
London
Visit site
Respect and support :tup:

I gave up three years ago having been smoking for about 25years. If I'm around people who smoke, well it's OK, and I get a bit nostalgic.

Though I won't let them smoke in my apartment.

No, not even my Mother, No, not even when she calls herself 'Your dear old grey-haired mother who gave birth to you and has travelled all the way to visit you'.

I remember not only what is was like to be smoking, but also what it was like to ENJOY smoking. I didn't have any massive doctors' warnings, though it was when I began to take a serious and consistent interest in what cigarettes were actually doing to measurable data ... pulse-reate speed-ups, recovery times after exersise, reduced weight of wallet ... that I decided to give up.

This is a slighly different story from a friend of mine. He and his partner are having a baby. Due in about a week. He rang me up a few months ago to tell me that his partner, being pregnant has stopped smoking and that he will stop when the baby is born. One of the things that motivated him to start thinking about it really seriously a few weeks ago was when a mate of his said that soneone's baby smelt like an old ash-tray. That made my friend feel very sick. It increased his resolve to stop smoking.

Re my having stopped smoking, it took a while to realise that I had actually suceeded - I never thought of myself as being 'one of those strong-willed people'

And I'm not going to smoke again.

I've not posted to go 'hey see what I've done' and so you can do it too.

It's just that since I'm one of the people who will make a habit of checking this thread and replying to your posts as long as you want/need, I thought I'd better give a bit of background.

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
tips

Smoke only half a cig and put it out. Light up the other half next time you have to puff. This accomplishes two things.

1) You smoke half as much, which in turn saves money and lung tissue

2) That second/last half of the cig tastes like Ben Ladins hairy Arab ass crack, on a hot desert eve in Afghan cave. If that doesnt turn you off nothin will. ;)

This worked for me back in college. Course then Ben Ladin was just a newb terrorist I new nothing 'bout.

Zenda

Turbo Adept+10%
Jan 31, 2001
London
Visit site
LOL:D

...Half a cigarette at a time.

Yeh. And it certainly breaks up the pattern

I'm remembering MarleyMarl's bit about routine - favourite times and situatons to smoke a cigarete. I remember it was those times where I'd automatically light up that became the big challenges.

To have HALF at one of those times would bw very disruptive.:D

Lauren Bacall opens her shiny case.
She takes out a stubby little dog-end.
Bogart lights it.

Waaaay Cool:D

[edit]Seriously, though, I certainly found that smoking out those ever so natural 'oh it wouldn't be the same without a cigarette' times was one of the biggest parts of the job, and that anything I could do to make it even slightly diferent from usual would be useful. That's partly why I really liked that 'half-a-cigattte' idea.[/edit]

Last edited:

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
Thanks for all the words, and the support guys. I made it through the weekend. Phew. One down, a lifetime to go.

Thanks for your story Zenda, I like hearing about people who smoked a long time and quit, and are still not smoking. Its inspirational :)

I can feel that the physical craving for the nicotine is gone, I dont have that salivating feeling in my mouth anymore. But I definitely lfeel the psychological craving. This morning on my way to work I actually checked my jacket pocket for my cigs cuz thats just what I do. Obviously there was none there but it was weird, almost like I forgot I had quit and I was looking to light up.

5 days down. Isn't that a non-smoking spree?
10 days = non-smoking rampage...

Thanks again!

MM

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Now it's just a case of mind over matter, Marl.

You're winning the fight here. :)

Just keep remembering these stories, and your family... you won't have any problem. :D

Here's to ya! :tup:

Zenda

Turbo Adept+10%
Jan 31, 2001
London
Visit site
Well done!

---------------------
I actually checked my jacket pocket for my cigs cuz thats just what I do. Obviously there was none there but it was weird, almost like I forgot I had quit and I was looking to light up.
---------------------

This bit rang a very strong bell with me.

I had given up music for about a year. I had given up smoking for about 9 months.

I got back into playing the guitar.

Now I had lost just about all the old triggers and anchors. HOWEVER, and here's the weirdness ... I picked up the guitar, settled myself down to play, and without thinking, I just reached for the cigarette that would typically be there in the ashtray, waiting for me between riffs.

It is as though I had never even thought about giving up smoking ... because the last time I had been paying the guitar, I had been a smoker. All this lasted about 2 seconds as I kind of had a 'translocate and respawn back into the present' kind of moment.

I get a bit of it even now, when I meet someone who I have not seen since before I'd stopped.

In many areas of my life, the
cuz thats just what I do
effect is the strongest ... there's no fuss or bells and whistles of angst. It's not even about willpower.

Much of what I do, trying to get my life together could be summed up as my attempting to get the 'cuz thats just what I do' aspects to be ones that I can look foward to, glad that it's likely and look back on, glad that I did.

All respect to you, m8. keep in touch.

Cya:)

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
MM:....

You GO man!!

I wish you and your daughter a very happy and long life together!

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Congratulations! I quit smoking 6 years ago after having smoked about 12 years. I got a really bad cold and couldn't smoke for 7 days, so I just kept going. After about a month the nicotine jones goes away enough to make long trips in the car more bearable. I chewed alot of nicorette and smoked a lot of reefer out of a water pipe. That helped me a lot. I'm not saying you should try that, it's just what I did:)

Anyway, don't succumb to temptation and if a weak willed sap like me can do it, so can you.

the~oreca

Retired.
Jul 10, 2000
NB, Canada
Originally posted by _Zd_MEELOBEE_
I just quit too. Six days ago I smoked my last cig. It was 7 years of smoking and I also tried to quit several times and didn't succeed. Now I got a great motivation :) My girl wants me to quit

Good luck, be strong and congrats on the good news :)

You made me read that like 5 times before I understode you only stoped smoking cigs, I was like geez, is it possible for Meelobee not to take the "other stuff"?