How to set up remote 3D gaming?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I'll not be home in September, yet I'd like to use the remote machine for what it is capable of, from my laptop. I'll be using a 4 mbit connection.

I tested the most well known software for remote desktop like VNC and Windows RDP, but neither offer a decent combination of speed and image quality. I didn't even bother to load a 3d game yet

I'm almost sure that I'll get better performance if I just install the 3D games on the laptop, but I'd like to try this one just because it's cool. :p

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Your issue is that 4Mbit is simpy not enough bandwidth to do what you want. To do 3d at a meagre 640x480, you need a minimum of 1Gbit.

What he said. You need to be on a LAN to even do real-time remote X sessions using something like NX, which is far more advanced (and much faster) than Windows RDP. Unfortunately, NX technology is only available for OSes that can run an X server natively (OS X and Linux) and it's not even suitable for games. VNC is ancient and has a hard time even doing remote over a LAN, so forget about that entirely.

The only other reasonable option is using a slingbox-like service to stream your games using compressed video. Kind of like how OnLive does it. The only app I know of that can do it is this one:

http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php

I haven't tested it and from what I've read it's not all that great.

If you have lots of money to throw at the project, you could always buy a stream box like this one and run a stream server using something like Flash Media Live Encoder to compress and output the stream on-the-fly. FMLE needs a LOT of horsepower to keep up at 1080p and at a decent bitrate, so you'll likely need a separate rig (with at least a decent dual core) to use as your streambox. You'll also need a lot more upstream bandwidth, at least 7MBit for decent-quality 1080p. As for how you access the stream, I have no idea ... you'd probably need to use (or write) some web-based app to do that. There is also software to relay key and mouse commands but I haven't tested any of those.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Very nice tips, thanks.

Actually I came across the original source code of Streammygame and I'll look into it.

Or perhaps I'll go the lazy route and buy an Onlive subscription for the month :p

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Ah, that takes me back. Using a terminal service to stream UT99 from one NT machine to the other. Pete knows why we did that. The feedback wasn't bad, but the colours were all 8-bit.

Yeah, outside of a LAN you're pretty much done for. I wonder what's possible on Linux these days..