How Success Killed Duke Nukem Forever

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Retodon8 points to a great article at Wired chronicling the path 3D Realms took with the development of Duke Nukem Forever. Citing several anonymous former employees, they've pieced together a picture of what likely happened to the mighty Duke.

Ironically, the end was within reach, even if Broussard couldn't see it. Raphael van Lierop, who was hired in 2007 as a creative director, was given several pieces of the game to play. It took him about five hours. Broussard was stunned; he'd thought those levels would take half that time to get through. "You could see the gears turning, with him thinking, 'Oh wow -- maybe we've got more game than we think,'" says van Lierop. Broussard had been staring at the game for so long, he'd lost perspective.

Van Lierop was excited: From what he'd seen of it, Duke Nukem Forever was so well developed -- and so graphically superior to any other game in production -- that if 3D Realms pushed hard for a year, they could release it and "blow everyone out of the water." No, no, Broussard replied. It was two years out. Van Lierop was stunned. "I thought, 'Wow, how many times have you been here, near the finish line, and you thought you were way out?'"

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
They should make a movie about the development. It would make a good movie. Then use the profits to finish the game.

I should really be a business person.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
You've got to be kidding me. A product that long in development and so close to completion, and they just keep whacking at it until they bankrupt themselves?

Perfection. It's a bad trait if taken too far.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
I hope that the people over 3D Realms will be sent to the moon one fine day.

Without any oxygen of couse. For all the BS and attention wh*ring, seriously... :eek:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
Perfection. It's a bad trait if taken too far.

Well said, exactly what I was thinking when reading it. I'm sure many of you fellow creative types here know all too well what it can do to your projects and lives sometimes :rolleyes:

I hope that the people over 3D Realms will be sent to the moon one fine day.

Without any oxygen of couse. For all the BS and attention wh*ring, seriously... :eek:

Did you read it all? I don't think it's fair to just say the people. The problem appeared to be mainly with Broussard and his obsessions, not the devs.

what a great article, excellently written. Felt refreshing to hear such an account of the journey from start to finish, with better inside info than just rumours and speculation.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Wow, that's new. I never thought that the game could be dragged on for so long because of it's imperfection (or at least partially). Too bad good old Duke didn't have a say in this... :(

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
So DNF wasn't released because Broussard was a child.

Last edited:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
I am wondering why 1 title was treated like it would be the last duke game of his life. Surely being the intelligent guys they are they would have thought, hmm let's get it released (under the quake or earlier unreal engine for example) and then see what happens after that, if there's demand for a further duke game or not. Seems to be like there was much fear for duke failing as well as perfectionism, extreme form of obsessive competitiveness also. We all know you don't need the latest engine to bring out a great game, sigh. It really is a sad story :(

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009

You aren't a part of us. So YOU are not included in "we". We are game-devs and the article is interesting to read. Average gamers might not care as they don't get something for their mindless consuming-habits-

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
I never played the original Duke. I heard it was a great game. I always held out hope for the release of the new one. Too bad. All of that work lost.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Interesting read. Sounds a lot like what happened with Daikatana according to "Masters of Doom".

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Interesting read. Sounds a lot like what happened with Daikatana according to "Masters of Doom".
Indeed. Making major design decisions about a game in the 11th hour is the best way to keep it from ever being released.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Indeed. Making major design decisions about a game in the 11th hour is the best way to keep it from ever being released.

And that sort of stuff happens because they did not really know what the end-product should be like.

Considering their history one would be tempted to think that no one had a clue as to what software-development really is about.

Heck ... I know a project with a similar history and in a similar state of non-release because of the exact same lack of vision and project-management-skills by those responsible ...

It isn't uncommon.
And that is the sad part.
We know how to prevent it.
There's a ton of info on how to do it properly dating back to last century even (and even further if you compare it to the processes involved in building houses and other structures).
I guess everone continues to underestimate the complexities of software-design simply because it is something that appears 'easy to fix'.

Last edited:

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
[SAS]Solid Snake;2399817 said:
It isn't uncommon. After all, lots and lots of games, mods and other software products all go under just like this.
You can afford to do that with mods since everyone is doing it in their free time and you have no pressure to get it out of the door, but you're one of the biggest devs around you can't afford to **** about as people's livelihood depends on that game. I would be extremely pissed at Broussard if I worked for 3DR.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
Can you afford it any more with mods? I don't know if I count my free time as less valuable than my paid time, personally.

As Solidsnake says, what went wrong with DNF is all too common to see in mod teams around the globe and I'm pretty sure with professional teams as well, lack of coherent vision, poor planning, reaction to external events and a team leader with more self-belief than understanding of the technical work being done...all issues that can kill a game.

Currently I spend alot of time browsing the UDK forums as that's what I'm working with, where I see mini-broussards espousing their ideas and trying to whip up interest and team members...these days they all have their "<insert forum name> studios" title and grand ideas, all of whom are convinced that their own vision will blow the world away, all of whom have absolutely no idea what they have to do, only that they want it done.

I feel bad for the 3dr team who slugged away for years with no end in sight, must be majorly demoralising. My understanding is that some pretty talented artists wasted good years of their lives there and that's a shame for them and us.