How do you want your JB-Deck17 ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How should JB-Deck17 look like ?

• Deck16-like! (Pure killing fiesta!)

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Deck32-like! (Double the Deck, double the fun!)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • It will be better with another mapper. Go away Rob!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • What? UT2004?! I don't care, I play WoW every day!

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
Rob said:
  1. A Slith becomes llama (you were killed in the Sliths room with release protection). When this Slith has to explode (and he doesn't because of his god mode) one of the other Sliths spawn in the map. Needless to say the llama Slith makes you spawn free.
  2. A player becomes llama. When he explodes a Slith spawns in the map.
  3. Another condition I've not clearly identified yet (a team capture?).
Hmmm ... maybe we can get Wormbo to look into this. Wormbo? Woooormbo? :)

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
There seems to be something fishy in the JBMonsterSpawner code (at least in combination with Satore's Slith Monsters,dunno with the standard ones). In the Tick() function there is this piece of code, which should prevent monsters from teleporting to a different location.

Code:
 If (MyMonster != None)
{
  // reset monster if it teleported away
  If (VSize(MonsterLocationPrev - MyMonster.Location) > 256.0)
  {
    //log("Warning: "$Self$" got teleported and was set back to previous location.");
    MyMonster.SetLocation(MonsterLocationPrev);
  }
  MonsterLocationPrev = MyMonster.Location;
}

In Deck-17 (using the Satore's Sliths) the monsters are only triggered at the start (SpawnOnTriggered).
Lots of times during the games it happens that the current MyMonster.Location is way off from the MonsterLocationPrev set in the last Tick(). I can't figure out why this happens. No harm done so far, while this piece of code then makes sure the monster is set back to it's previous location.

However sometimes (even though the code tells me it's not possible) it happens that even the MonsterLocationPrev also is way out of the SlithRoom, and the Slith is set back to the wrong previous location. At that time the Slith in on the lose in the map.

After trying to find the cause of this and failing to do so, I decided to do a fix to make sure the Sliths will stay in their room. For this I subclassed the JBMonsterSpawner in to JBMonsterSpawnerZoned, where the Sliths were only allowed to stay in a by property defined MonsterZone.

For this I added the following code in the Tick() function, after the above one:
Code:
If (MyMonster != None)
{
  // Reset monster if it escaped out of the MonsterZone.
  //  If this is the case, the Monster is simply reset to it's Startposition.

If (bUseMonsterZone && (MonsterZoneTag != '') && (MyMonster.Region.Zone.Tag != MonsterZoneTag) )
  {
    //log("Warning: "$Self$" got out of the restricted zone "$MonsterZoneTag$" ("$MyMonster.Region.Zone.Name$") and was reset to startposition.");
    MyMonster.SetLocation(StartSpot);
  }
  MonsterLocationPrev = MyMonster.Location;
}
All this seems to be working OK. When the MonsterLocationPrev is wrong, this piece of code simply resets the the Monster to it's starting position, which is in the MonsterZone.

After implementing this and sending it back to Rob, he told me Sliths are still out of the Slithroom???
I don't know anymore ...

(O, and I'm off for the weekend Rob, sry).

Rob

Hole in one!
Nov 19, 2002
France
Visit site
The map is supposedly finished, and wouldn't be so close to the original without CD's kindly help.

JB-Deck17 beta 1

Same jails and capture (doesn't work online). Idem for the arena, except you don't have to care much about falling in the lava. ;)
RL moved in the center room. Sniper rifle in the corner replaced by a RL. Redeemer replaced by a super health pack.
There are 2 sliths rooms, to avoid above-mentionned problems. When a team is released, it activates a killingzone in their corresponding escape room (sliths will "shake" and whine, don't worry it's normal).
A little change to the escape ladder system, to avoid players from double-jumping and shooting. There's a mover blocking the shaft. The crouching player activates a trigger on the floor crosshair to open this mover.
Some fixes to issues of the DM version (zone names, missing zoneportals, a BSP hole, misaligned and collisionless SMs).

Last edited:

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
BSP bug like in the origonal deck 16? Well then the remake is REAL close!:lol:

I'll check this out sure it will be just as popular as the ut99 one :)
Thanks Rob!
Will be better when they fix the "No depress display online bug"

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I did not like it much being an assymetrical thing. It was just like a TDM match for me and I really hope it won't be the ever-popular map in the few JB servers tbh... :( The escape looks very interesting, though. [What do you have to do once in the Slith room? :rolleyes:]
For the arena: I think 2 healthpacks are just enough, and maybe they would be better one floor down... ;) Consider also swappping the Shock and its AmmoPickup and opening a hole in the middle of the wall where you could shoot through... ;)

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
G.Lecter said:
... and I really hope it won't be the ever-popular map in the few JB servers tbh... :(
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm think it will tbh. :p

And yeah, it plays a bit like a TDM, but that's exactly the fun part of it, and that's probably why the JBIII version was so popular. In your case I think it's better to wait for JB-Deck32 (which never was one of MY favorites).

About the escape, it's also a copy of the old JB-Deck16 version.
It's quite simple, when you reach the slithroom, you will die.
(You have got a 25% chance to spawn in freedom, the other 75% you spawn in the slithroom).

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
CoolDude said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm think it will tbh. :p
Ouch!... :shy: Well, I'll wait to play it online then, keep it coming... :)
/Still think I won't like the map though, only the escape... :p

I can't talk much about balance things in this one, and can't give new ideas since it's a remake... :rolleyes:
Just a few more thoughts: ;)
- The RocketLauncher beside the teleporter should be changed by another weapon IMO... There are two more RLs already...
- The RocketLauncher in the red side might be better in the hallway where the red jaildoors are now.
- Try swapping the jails, maybe that will make the map a bit less TDM like. I'm not sure about this though; released players could go too fastly to their switch to defend it after released... and the remake wouldn't be exactly like the original... :rolleyes:
- I think the smoke emitter in the jail should be triggered on only when the escape jumpad is activated...

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Two things:

The escape sequence is broken. Looking in UnrealEd, nothing has an event DisableBlueTeleporter to trigger the TwoTagTrigger.

There are some slith shown on the jail cam. What for?

BTW, do you guys want this thread splitting? The posts about Rob's map could be in a thread of their own.