HOW do I fix BSP holes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
B

BlackIce

I decided to correct the gama on these pics of Doc's. They were too dark for me to see. Now that I CAN see them...Looks like it's gonna be a good map Doc. Good luck.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
Originally posted by Mclarenlover
Uhhh... what are BSP holes???

BSP holes are the nastiest things in the universe. When veiwing a map, they can either look like quasispacial tears in basic matter through which an endless void is seen, or a framerate devouring Hall of Mirrors effect that captures what you see, and duplicates it over itself until you look away. There is no simple way to cure, or even prevent these beasts; one must learn to cope with their presence. To answer your question, no one knows what BSP holes realy are, and we're all searching for the truth.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Originally posted by The ultimate novice

BSP holes are the nastiest things in the universe. When veiwing a map, they can either look like quasispacial tears in basic matter through which an endless void is seen, or a framerate devouring Hall of Mirrors effect that captures what you see, and duplicates it over itself until you look away. There is no simple way to cure, or even prevent these beasts; one must learn to cope with their presence. To answer your question, no one knows what BSP holes realy are, and we're all searching for the truth.
mmhhh ....this is totally illogical captain.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
We DO know what BSP holes are. There is no way to correct them but you CAN avoid them. Or with some minor changes (hopefully) you can kill them.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
The Unreal Engine uses Binary Space partition trees to store 3d data. (This could have been done by several other ways like octal trees...etc. I don't want to make a lecture on data systems ) So imagine that the whole level is made out of a large sheet of metal or sth. Now you would need to fold the sheet to form rooms, walls...etc like in origami. THis is done by dividing the superspace into Sub-spaces by assigning nodes to key locations of the superspace. Then the nodes create convex parts (segments, polygons) from the superspace they can be sorted into a tree. With this method the engine can determine which areas of the map are solid geometry and have collision and which are not.

Sometimes the BSP gets messed up and certain parts will lose collision, get collision or partially lose collision. When they lose collision you'll be able to walk through walls fall through floors. If an area gets collision then you won't be able to walk into those areas and it is likely that you will see black polys around those areas, since those polys are "out of the BSP" and they don't get textured this way. If something partially loses collision that means that the borders of the collision are killed and you are able to walk into solid space. Since nothing can exist inside solid space you'll get killed.

THere are several methods for getting rid of BSP holes.

-Simplify the geometry in the area

-Use more semisolids (They don't cut up the BSP so they can't cause BSP errors in solid geometry but they can mess around with other semi-solids and non-solids)

-Try to reduce node count (semisols, build settings...)

-If additive brushes get BSP errors then it often helps if you put them to the end of the BSP rebuild sequence. (and sometimes changing them to semisol too) Note: if something is at the end of the queue then if it has subtractions inside then the subtraction will ba applied first and then the added brush will fill the space. So nothing will happen...you'll have the brush unhollowed.
You would need to intersect that brush first and add it afterwards.

-Zone off the area. THis way the geometry inside the zone won't be that complex.

I hope that it helped....
If you have any questions just ask.

chris:
thanx 4 the extra knowledge

Dangler: my map is not even half way done, when I get this far, I probably won't be able to edit it normally on my machine (not to mention run:( besides, I'm doing allmost all the textures myselfe and the existing textures I do use, I often have to change to fit the colour of the rest of my map. It's a CTF game, a huge spacecraft, "ohwned" by the bleu team and a little spacecraft, landed on one of the flightdecks of the large spacecraft and squat into it to take over the ship (well actually just to capture the flag, and the bleu team does the same, and.... ohw you are allready fammilliar to the ctf gaming:)

besides, I have a bsp problem with it right now, i deintersected a added brush to use it as a subtractive brush, only now I have to substract some more and it couses bsp holes, and I have allready saved over the old additives, so I probably have to build them all over again, just gonna try some brush clipping first.

Dr. Bot:
Nice truck! the invironment with the truck in it makes me think of half-life

(excuse my anglais, although I looked up one word, I probably used it wrong aswell:D)

Dangler

~LXG~
Jan 20, 2001
Bellevue, WA.
Visit site
That sucks man I hope you get it worked out. Well I will wait as long as it takes for you to finish :) One thing I just started doing, because I did the same as you and saved over some things I wished I hadn't, I make a folder for my maps brushes and save them ALL !! 2D shapes and 3D brushes, so if I ever have to go and change say a whole section I have them safely awaiting my command :) Also, not intentionally, I find I have about 6 saves of my map, lol, and if I am not editing for a couple of days I can't remember which one is the one I wanted to continue with, LOL. Well, about the subject of this thread :), so far every BSP encounter I've had, I've been able to fix by smashing my fingers with a hammer, not really ;P I just order the brushes first or last or maybe move the brush 1 unit this way or that. Now I'm still working on my first map ever, well 2 maps, I'm making one for Rune at the same time when I get stuck or pissed at my UT map, and I wanted to do all this fancy stuff, and it's taken more time to screw with all that shit than maybe it's worth, I mean it's a labor of love for sure but I'm thinking I'm going to start excepting things more simplistic so I can move on and create more. I just hope that when I'm done I can actually get someone to play them with me. :(