How 'bout some civvies now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The Nali's from Unreal 1 had similar code, so in theory you could use the AI from those 'monsters' ...

Something like InfMonster, but with 'civilians' instead of the Unreal-monsters could work.

Orca`PACO

;o)
Aug 31, 2001
ppaco.cjb.net
I wonder what civies would do standing next to a loaded big ass machine gun when there is whole bunch of shooting going on ;o)

btw what numbers are we talking about? something good for kosovo may be qute annoying on MHW.. and how do u plan to randomize spawning if them? (now i'm thinking about that - proully pathnodes can have some close to 0 chance of having a civvie span there)

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
actually i brought this up a little while ago. Has anybody played INF with the INFmonsters mutator? When you play with it, the level gets filled with about 20-40 (maybe more) various monsters from unreal. while although there is a minor hit to performance, most of the time the game runs fine.

This means that these "stupid" bots really dont make a hit on the performance of the game because (1) they're low pollly and (2) the AI is so basic. ( something like wander around - when player is detected attack.)

now for a civiy you just reverse it. (wander around, if player is detected, do one of these things -go prone/crouch- or -run away-

You could add a twist to the theme by doing something like "when team A kills X amount of civilians, civilians become hostile toward team A."

When civilans are hostile, they'd act normally except that if they discover a weapon they'll grab it, and attack with it. Since it's just a civilian you dont have to get the offensive AI to be very smart. Basically just "wander around & fire gun at enemy"

drkim

Look Ma, I'm on Inf!
Sep 1, 2000
www.stclaire.edu
Originally posted by Orca`PACO
I wonder what civies would do standing next to a loaded big ass machine gun

I would recommend having all civies be neutral (i.e., they never pick up or use weapons), and here's why:

In a real world situation it is unlikely that locals would be hostile to both parties in a conflict. Therefor, for realism (which is one goal of Infiltration) they would have to be hostile to only one team. This would change the map balance for each map, and complicate scoring.

Would you get extra points for killing an armed, hostile civ? Points for killing one who 'might' go hostile if they find a weapon? Should you therefor get points for something that violates the Geneva convention? If the opposing team kills a civ. hostile to you, do they lose points?

Also, should we assume our civs are used to being around armed soldiers and only go into 'panic' mode when the shooting breaks out?

Dr. Kim
drkim.jpg

Galthor

antagonist, absolut
Aug 9, 2001
Rhein-Main
Visit site
they could only be integrated into new maps, where the mapper defines where civvies can spawn. but then it would be ok if they belong only to one (defending) side. then different "characters" would make sense like: fleeing people who run as soon they see hostiles, people who just look for cover and those hero/ supporting characters who arent good at shooting but would use weapons against hostiles. then an uneven teambalance might be interesting (more attackers). imagine a village with open lands around it and mission goal for the attackers is to take the village while the defenders have to withstand the attack for a certain time.
EAS??????