How active is the UT2K4 online community?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Well...I'm certain that I may probably bring some oldies but goodies to UT3 as remakes from years past. I remember some one-on-ones that I made waaay back for Doom 2, Duke 3D, and Quake from the '90s. Those would be fun to bring back in UE3 technology, and make those better than ever. Of course, UT2004 may probably benefit from old-time deathmatches, too. We'll see.

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
If there are some players from Europe willing to play together it would be nice. I play all gamemodes, and also play custom maps. Though my preference is more toward CBP or UCMP type maps ie. more standard ones, and not funnel type maps.

My favorite game mode is DDOM, but as I said, I am willing, and I do play all game modes.

HarkeN

Team Ark. In the building.
Jun 12, 2010
Wakefield, UK
It's possible, but not advisable. On servers where UTcomp is present, US players typically use a feature added in that uses clientside hit detection, so in the case of things like hitscan, at least, aiming would be fine.

Barring that, I'd say east coast servers only. Ping will be around 100 ms, which is still too high to consistently play to your potential, IMO, but it's bearable once you adapt to the delay. West coast if you have a death wish or just want some laughs.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
In Europe 2k4 is still very popular, I never have a problem finding servers or ppl to play with whenever I venture online... Can't say how popular it is now in the U.S., though. UT3 probably never took off in Europe so I guess that's why so many ppl still play 2k4 here - It's just more fun to play imho ;)

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Don't mean to sound like a backstabber, but there's still more people probably playing Quake 3 Arena over the UT franchise in general. As much of a fan as I am of both UT3 and UT2004, Q3A was where it all began, and that just seems to be the logical place to go back to. Nothing we can do about that one. My avatar has the Alpha and the Omega of MMOFPS gaming right there, and that's something to look real hard at.