Help Us Migrate to VB4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hey guys.

We are really interested in migrating to vB 4. The only problem is, none of our styles will translate over so the site would look pretty drab for a long time. We keep sticking on vB 3 for this reason, but vB 4 makes lots of nice enhancements and we would really like to be able to use them.

So with that said, we could really use help from the community to make some nice skins for vB 4 so we can make our migration. I've set up a temporary location for the vb4 forum at:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/_vb4/forum.php

None of the current data is migrated over. I will be dumping everything that goes on there over the next short while so feel free to make posts and try things out. Same rules apply as here, though. Don't be posting a bunch of decroded crap there.

If you can help, please do let us know!!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
vB3 is horrible. The HTML they used to build the designs is really awful.

As far as making a vB4 site look good, depends on who designs it, I guess :)

The big thing is, development on vB 3 is over. It is getting security updates for a short time, but then it won't get anything. We have to move to vB4 eventually, and sooner than later is good for me.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
vB3 is horrible. The HTML they used to build the designs is really awful.

As far as making a vB4 site look good, depends on who designs it, I guess :)

The big thing is, development on vB 3 is over. It is getting security updates for a short time, but then it won't get anything. We have to move to vB4 eventually, and sooner than later is good for me.

First you kill the classic unreal/ UT99 scene and now you kill my very soul by not just going back to vb/2. I'm on to all of you. All I have to say is my doom 2 map better win 1st place in this years doom 2 mapping competitions Im going to type alot of words about it on this suggestion forum until someone listens to me.

In all seriousness have you considered XenForo instead of vBulletin 4?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
How do you go about to make styles? Like, what do you need? Images? Color schemes?
I don't really know what anyone would do to help you with that from your first post... Unless they already know how to make styles themselves.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Do you have some artwork you want to use or do you want to adapt the existing styles to VB4? Also, would redoing the html/css be sufficient? Templating without having access to a live script is a bit difficult.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Redoing the HTML would give us a good start, just don't co completely crazy :)

Mostly I would like to repurpose the existing styles, they emphasize the visual theme we are going for. After that is done, we can migrate to vB4 and possibly get someone on the team that can help even more acutely with the design of the site (_Lynx does great he just doesn't have a ton of time :))

I'm not sure on a solution for building a actual vB theme without vB. I will look into that some.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I'm not sure on a solution for building a actual vB theme without vB. I will look into that some.

From my experience that's not really possible. You can try editing exported themes, but without a copy of vB you just can't do much, especially if you need to change layout a bit, etc - these changes are saved in database and you can't change the code you don't see.

Last edited:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
it will still be impossible for us to apply that css to an actual template though because the theme interface is still terrible

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
btw, looks like my drive where I stored the site templates. Works after rebbot, but dies when I attempt to copy stuff. Gotta figure out how to pull data, cause it's my UT3 drive...