Hello all, Is it that bad?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Y0urDaddy

Jan 21, 2008
Hello BU gang...

I may have played some UT with a few of you in the past when I was in the -}WM{- clan. Over the years I have also run servers for UT99, UT2003, and UT2004.

Like everyone else I had been looking forward to UT3 coming out for some time. I built my new PC to play this game as well as SupCom. I have not yet purchased the game as I have seen a good deal of poor reviews of it as well as not really liking the demo too much. I was also kind of disapointed in the first version of the dedicated server pack so I have not put a UT3 server up yet.

I mainly played InstaGib BR. I know that BR was removed from UT3, but do they still have quad jump & the InstaGib mutator?

My main question for those here is: Is the game really that bad (in the opinion of those who own it)?

Thanks...

YD

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
If you didn't like the demo you won't like retail its the same game.

If you only want to play against bots those mutators will exist if they don't already, but youll be hard pressed to even find one populated IG server with or w/o mods. theres only a couple hundred people online at a time counting all game modes.

my opinion, yes it is that bad.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
I think the game is pretty good, sure it has problems which you are most likely aware of already, but all in all it a very fun game to play.

Y0urDaddy said:
I mainly played InstaGib BR. I know that BR was removed from UT3, but do they still have quad jump & the InstaGib mutator?

Quad jump is out, but there are mutators over at the Epic games forums that put it back in. Just do a search for Quad Jump UT3 and download one of the results. (yes there is more then one)Why more then one? I have no idea, most likely people made their mutator without paying attention to see if it was made already.

The instagib stuff is in the game.

Apr 13, 2003
Somewhere, Unreal
Visit site
The GAME is AWESOME compared to the Demo. Yes there are insta & Q jump mut/mod & maps & tweakers http://www.tweakguides.com/UT3_1.html : http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=173752 The deal with the demo seems to be that with highest settings past 4 give "realistic" Wind/weather effects fog, smoke, blur etc. & it freaked people out. There are TWEAKS that make the menu/ui faster so it is minimal hassle & you can still customize your character & ini's to have it FEEL or look more like the unreal you are used to. The guns feel great & the graphics are kick@55....

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
the game rocks... unfortunately theres alot of missing features we are used to from previous UTs... i never play IG so i cant comment on that but the game is the best UT ever. problem is they left so many features out and screwed up the menus and server browser badly thats in annoying at times to do things we're used to...

and dont get me started on how modding got shafted... but, seriously, the game is uber fun! :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
The game is just fine. Most of the retail maps are far better than the ones in the demo, and if you liked ONS, WAR turns up the action a notch.

There are quite a few missing things that people are used to but the core gameplay is top notch.

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
If you didn't like the demo you won't like retail its the same game.

If you only want to play against bots those mutators will exist if they don't already, but youll be hard pressed to even find one populated IG server with or w/o mods. theres only a couple hundred people online at a time counting all game modes.

my opinion, yes it is that bad.

Why do you hang out in the UT3 forum?

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
Heya daddy, long time no see.

On topic, I'd say you should probably not buy it if you didn't like the demo. The playerbase isn't really expansive enough to host many specialty communities, so if you don't like the game with close to default settings, you won't be finding many games.

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
Why do you hang out in the UT3 forum?

because im entitled to my own opinion. im just trying save this dude 50 bucks, the guy ran ut servers and was in a clan i really doubt he is interested in playing offline. Its hard enough to find a decent game without IG... add a quad jump mutator, and well... right now theres one person my server browser shows playing CTF. Do you work for epic or something? You yourself just made a post making fun of the game where the op has his avatar set to "ut3 sucks" but you are going to complain about me telling this guy the truth?

Dear op here is a recipe for you:

1. listen to the fanboys and buy the game.
2. play the game
3. decide if you like it or not.
4. give us an update whether you like it or not.
5. ?????????
6. profit

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I'm with h.pocus on this one. The final product is just as "final" as the demo was.

The core gameplay is great. But you'll have to wade through a pool of sh** to get there. Especially if you want to decently administer a server.

SirTahngarth said:
...and if you liked ONS, WAR turns up the action a notch.
That's your opinion. I don't share it. In UT2004, onslaught was my second favorite gametype (aside BR). In UT3, warfare is by far my least enjoyable gametype.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
In UT3, warfare is by far my least enjoyable gametype.
I haven't enjoyed it either. Without perfectly balanced teams things go awry very quickly. It's basically unplayable on pubs because of this. All it takes is a couple guys who know what they're doing on one team to orb the whole map and kill the core in a matter of minutes. Even something like Avalanche, which is supposed to be quite balanced, ends disastrously quick.

But VCTF is by far the worst for me. What a waste of time! Being able to carry the flag in a vehakal might help a bit, but by and large hal's calling it "Vehakals Camp the Flag" is perfectly accurate. The maps don't help either. I mean, Kargo and Containment? Why does Epic have a fetish with such stupid chokepoints?

So, in my opinion, don't buy it unless Epic patches it up and changes its many blatant flaws. Get TF2, COD4, and SupCom: Forged Alliance (if you don't have it already) instead. FA is better than SupCom in every way and I highly recommend it. Failing that, stick to UT and UT2004. Both have many more players than UT3. :)

jasposfagot

My opinion is My opinion, Yours is Yours
May 22, 2005
Hello all, Is it that bad?

Yes, it is, it's all that and more, it is an abomination unto the UT world. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

This is of course a matter of opinion, and depends on how much you get hung up with brand/company loyalty etc, how much of a fanboi you are, whether or not your tongue is firmly implanted in Epic's arse. But those who don't get hung up on that stuff, and who are honest about how they feel about UT3, will tell you, it basically sucks. This by the way, is inline with the indicators that show how popular the game is, sales, and online player numbers. These 2 stats, align firmly with the fact that UT3 sucks and is a failure. Come on, be real for a moment, if it didn't suck, it would be selling like hot cakes, not like a steaming pile of turd, people would be playing it, instead of avoiding it like the plague.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Don't buy it yet. The game has potential, but has as mentioned before shortcomings/flaws which can't be ignored. And which hopefully will be overcome, in time.

h.pocus said:
Dear op here is a recipe for you:

1. listen to the fanboys and buy the game.

Most certainly not to trolls such as jasposfagot/h.pocus.
Listen to people with a more neutral view/take on matters.

Last edited:

srø

#unstoppable
Jan 22, 2008
It's all relative. I absolutely love the core gameplay, as a competitive instagib player, but the simple fact is that the game is not finished.

With the help of some mutators, most of the big issues (that affected me at any rate) can be resolved, and the clanbase ictf ladder for instance is doing pretty well after a slow start, but that's just one perspective.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Come on, be real for a moment, if it didn't suck, it would be selling like hot cakes, not like a steaming pile of turd, people would be playing it, instead of avoiding it like the plague.
Depends...I'm sure all of us know some "sleeper hits" that practically nobody knows about or plays online but that's actually an awesome game.

I was in a major game store last Saturday (got me C&C3). They have a list of top 10 selling games there...

UT3 was number 1.

Of course those aren't global statistics, but it's not like everyone is avoiding it.

@ZarniwoopVanHarl: read the original post again: Y0urdaddy played the demo but wasn't convinced. IMHO, the full game has the same strengths and shortcomings, so I seriously doubt that'll convince him.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Yes, it is, it's all that and more, it is an abomination unto the UT world. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

This is of course a matter of opinion, and depends on how much you get hung up with brand/company loyalty etc, how much of a fanboi you are, whether or not your tongue is firmly implanted in Epic's arse. But those who don't get hung up on that stuff, and who are honest about how they feel about UT3, will tell you, it basically sucks.

I entirely disagree with everything you said in that post of yours. Personally, I never liked UT2k3 much nor did I ever even try UT2k4, it being so similar to UT2k3, while I loved UT99. So you can't really call me a fanboi. Meanwhile I bought the Unreal Anthology and tried to convince myself to play some UT2k4, to at least give it a try again, and I failed even at that.

And yet I absolutely love the awesome game Epic released, and I couldn't care less what game company they are, because UT3 is an awesome game and very true to the UT brand. Of course there are quite a few weak points, but I hope you can see beyond some issues and reach the gameplay. Because, once you're there, it's great.

Still, if you liked UT2k4 for all the things that set off UT2k4 from UT99, then you obviously won't like UT3, because it really is going back to the roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.