Have you ever considered uninstalling 2k3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
You're kidding, right?

ChaosUT2K3 just came out like last week. You will have to pry UT2K3 (or 4 or whatever) out of my cold, dead hands.

Looks like Chaos is set to be the new king of the unrealism hill. Last I heard, which was a while ago MaxSMoke was working on a retail game (
lolscroll.gif
) and since he banned me from the site/forum for saying things that didn't agree with him, I don't know what they're doing. Hopefully they're doing their own stupid game no one will give a damn about, I'd hate to see him still sticking around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I see a major problem with the attitude against people who don't like the way UT2003 is played.

People complain and some of them might have the right to complain.
But to tell people : "Accept it or quit playing" isn't the right thing to do.
The community is already lacking players. We need more not less players.

Instead of telling them to stfu and go away, they should be adviced how to handle different situations in the game.

Me for example:
  1. It's been more and more common with shieldrunners, i.e. the flagrunner pulls out his shield, play some 133t gymnastics and runaway with the flag. (been discussed in other thread)
    I have very difficult to deal with such players and must learn how to take them out.
  2. Same goes for the LtG. A lot of people use the LtG in both long distance sniping and in closer combat, combined with the piped switch LtG -> Fire -> SR ->Fire.
    I get killed to easy so I must learn how to encounter these players.

Now I'm lucky and can get help from my clanmates but most people aren't in a clan and don't have anyone who can help them.

With a better attitude towards people who 'complain' we get a better community and hopefully more players.

Ominous

Oct 19, 2001
Indianapolis
www.carpeimperium.com
The problem Swedix is that they aren't asking for help or just saying they are getting frustrated with way things work. A lot of people now just post how "stupid" the game is or some such comment. Or complaining cause they don't like the sound or the mini or how the shock rifle actually looks or other such stuff that isn't going to change. Besides, most people that actually ask for help on this forum and others usually get advice and suggestions.

My only point is that some people just seem to get off by ranting about the game in various forums. The question I have is why bother? I've seen many people say they only play cause the community "needs" more players so they'll stick around. Its only a game, you shouldn't force yourself to be miserable or not have fun. Yes, I'd like to seem more people play the game but not at the price of having to listen to them whine about how horrible the game is.

As for your two issues ;) :

1) spam their feet with rockets/flak

2) use the sheild gun and get in close and spam them

Fumanchu

Passion Fruit
Apr 14, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I uninstalled UT2003, because it was no longer fun to play. Playing was a chore. Yet I still have LOTS of fun in UT, which is why thats still installed :)
I think that Epic just hyped the game up too much to follow up a game that was already nearly impossible to follow up (because it was so good :)).

I just fear that Half Life 2 will end up the same way.

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
TheHammer said:
Just curious, why does everyone feel the need to let everyone else know they are dissatisfied with a game? Will that change the opinion of those who like it? Do you go to other game forums for games you dislike and let them also know you don't enjoy the game they like to play?

Its just a game, if you feel like you are doing everyone a favor by continueing to play something you dislike, you are wrong. Uninstall, find a new game, enjoy yourself. Forcing yourself to play a game you dislike is just silly and hearing you complaing about it is just annoying to those who do like it.
Hey, you're in your own little world here. I'm not trying to get people to uninstall it, or worse stop playing it (Hell, I'm an admin here man... the last thing I want to do is cause more trouble for the community). I'm just curious... and as for 2k3, it's gone. I'll be playing Atlantis on my parents box (I feel much better now).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I wil never uninstall it. I will buy UT2004 at full price if it means I get to keep my UT2003 stuff, I am that fanatic. I have loved the Unreal series since Unreal 1, and I love it today. The game has been a progression from good to great to greater to greatest...I doubt very much if I will ever uninstall an Unreal game...ok I lie I uninstalled Unreal2. I don't even conisder tht Unreal quality!! YUCK!

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Fumanchu said:
I uninstalled UT2003, because it was no longer fun to play. Playing was a chore.

That's a shame, because you're quite good. I would watch in awe at some of the stuff you (and others) would pull of in FragBu.

Oh, and did I just see a Mortey sighting, on a UT2k3 thread?!?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
hmmm Truth monkey... Even Return to Na Pali wasn't really Unreal qualiy except that it was just a SP mod for the game that costed money.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
RTNP? Costed money? Don't remember that, I downloaded it :confused: I may be thinking of something else but I don't think I am. How did it start? You're on a ship, you're some sort of marine and get called to the bridge for a briefing. Touch down on NaPali, run around kill some stuff, get 3 Nali running around with you generally being useless and more of a hindrance than a help, etc etc.. Was that the one? Can't remember now, haven't had any of my mods etc installed for a while (apart from maps and muts of course :) ).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
yah how could you mix these up? LOL One was great the other was subpar at best.

In RTNP they send you back to the surface to find another ship that crashed down, then once you do some marines come down to take you out...then you have to escape again... The story was good, don't get me wrong... how could it not be? It was based on Unreal 1. Plus alot of the maps were just fixed up versions of maps Epic had created for Unreal and left out...so Legend couldn't have gone much off with it. That was why I was hoping Unreal 2 would be good, but alas...unless this next U2 patch drastically changes things we may have witnessed the end of Unreal Universe Single Player.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Fumanchu said:
O:NP kicked a$$ :)

edit: I just realized something... I never finished it :eek:
/me hurries off and installs it

What???? :D
OnP sure is worth it. Meh forget those nali helpers. I simply order them to "stay here" :D
They pretty much are a hindrance most of the times, though.. on the "nali mountain fighters" map they can be pretty usefull..

Onp is good in co-op btw :) Check the Nostalgia server.