Gun regulation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Well, why would someone want a sportscar over a VW bug? Yes, it has more potential to break the law than the bug, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal. Just because the need for such a powerful gun for self defense seems unlikely, doesn't mean it should have any more restrictions on it. In the 93 (or was it 94? can't remember at the moment) LA riots, on some blocks the only buildings left standing belonged to Korean shop owners wielding semi-automatic, "military style" weapons with high capacity magazines. Now riots at violence of that magnitude don't exacly happen that often, but for all we know it could all happen again tomarrow. And need I remind you, the 2nd amendment states it's reason for protecting the American people's right to bear arms, and that reason is not protection from angry mobs/theives/gangsters, it's protection from any would-be tyrannical government.

Yes, its a war from the depth of time!

Christopher Webb

Overtly Serious Chappy.
People applying for gun licences should need to go through some form of pyschological screening. Sure, some people will always slip under the net, but hopefully the precaution should eliminate a few troubles.

The problem is, of course, that the government could use this as an excuse to make sure pro-Marxists and people from the "wrong" culture, race, or sex do not gain access to firearms.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need firearms. But when they're needed, they'er needed. How many people do you think would of died at Port Arthur if somebody else had a gun?

<insert cute/ interesting/ bizarre signature here>

May 22, 2000
Amsterdamned
resolute.gamepoint.net
All I'm trying to say is: A society without guns works...so why not try it. I know I'm simplifying the problem but still it's something to think about!

This is turning into a really constructive conversation btw!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
All I'm saying is that a society without guns does not work. You CANNOT take guns from criminals. They're criminals and will go through criminal channels to get them.

"Yes, we're sorry that those men with guns broke into your house and raped and murdered your wife and nine year old daughter, but don't worry... when we catch them, we'll put them in protective custody (because the other prisoners who only steal from big, faceless companies and look down on child killers are the ones that deserve the squalid conditions,) and we'll give them three square meals a day, a safety razor to make sure they don't hurt themselves, their own entertainment system so they stay nice and productive, and a daily excercise regimen so they can live long and happy lives unlike your loved ones... whoops, that just sorta slipped out sir, sorry. Yes, I know had we not confiscated all your weapons they'd still be alive, but don't worry, we'll catch them. Those scum will be punished!"

Yep, that works pretty good alright.

---
Knew about five dimensional creatures that can't be killed? Nobody said a word to me.
---

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Prison's arent resorts. I dont know first hand, but i saw a show on HBO( Oz ) that supposedly closely mimiced real prison life. It is not like some child molester goes into prison, gets his edition of Prison Entertainment weekly, turns on his HDTV, and then sleeps in his luxury cell with a comforter and a down mattress. Ya right... The most likely situation is that he gets the crap beat outta him for raping kids, then goes into solitary for a few days. After that, he goes into maximum security where he has to take a crap in front of the warden and any one else who is their. Then, maybe, get to watch 30 minutes of cable tv for good behavior.

There is a point where simply lifestyle cannot prevent crime. The united states is an excellent example, where there are just too many people. I cant imagine China.

And, on the freak occasion that there is a huge riot, in which the police cannot contain it, and where human life is no object, then go right ahead and use your M16 or AK. But, in general those things do not happen, and owning such powerful guns will do nothing except attract attention to yourself.

Also, does anyone know where criminals get their weapons most of the time? Stealing them from gun-owners who do not adequatly protect them.

I'm all for firearms to a point, but protecting your house with an M16 is more than unnecesary, it's dangerous.

----

-MiscMan

balloon.gif

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.

-Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991)

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Uh, prisoners that don't screw with the guards or higher members of the prison hierarchy don't have it very bad at all. It's certainly not a country club, but while kids are bored stiff in time out for lying to their parents, cold-blooded convicted criminals ARE watching TV, working out and playing basketball in gyms so nice that I have to pay to do the same, working in PAYING jobs with little to no tough physical labor, or simply fratternizing with their fellow inmates. OZ shows all that stuff, too- it's all about the kind of outlook you have on it. I say the more chaingangs, tough physical labor, and tent cities out in the hot Arizona desert, the better.

"Also, does anyone know where criminals get their weapons most of the time? Stealing them from gun-owners who do not adequatly protect them."

1- Right. Let's go taking away objects away from law-abiding citizens out of fear of what criminals could do with them if stolen.
2- I'm 16 years old, and live in about the 43rd most popular of the United States, and not even in the "wrong crowds" at school, but I know how to obtain all sorts of illegal, untracable weaponry (and illegal drugs), that's been smuggled into this country. The black market is everywhere, any criminal could use it to get what they want, if most steal them anyway, it doesn't really matter. Free gun vs. less than retail gun isn't a hard choice for people that resort to crime to make a living.

"protecting your house with an M16 is more than unnecesary, it's dangerous."

Well, since your the expert, explain to me how that is. Some people, expirienced in using full-auto weapons, can exercise enough burst control to keep every single round on the target. And a 5.56x45mm FMJ has less penetration than many pistol FMJ's... so there goes that litte theory of yours. If someone isn't expirienced in using such weapons, they shouldn't rely on it for self defense- if they hear something in their house and fire off 600 rounds of armor piercing ammo all over the place and kill an innocent 2 houses over, it wasn't the gun's fault- that person should be charged with manslaughter.

Yes, its a war from the depth of time!

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Let's just say that both sides have good points. I can see the need for a gun when it comes down to protecting your family from intruders, however, I can also see the need for stricter gun-control laws to keep irresponible individuals from purchasing such weapons. I, personally, can't see myself ever needing to own a gun, but, then again, I've never been in a riot situation or had somone try to break into my house. It'd be great if the average person didn't need to own a gun, but, unfortunately, we don't live in that kind of world.

-Keiichi

Kei-sig.jpg