Graphics editing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Graphics editor of choice

• MS Paint

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Jasc Paint Shop Pro

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Ulead Systems PhotoImpact

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adobe Photoshop

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I love Photoshop. My mom bought a legit copy while she was taking a class a BCC, and it became one of my favorite programs of all time. I tried Gimp once, but it crashed every 5 minutes on all computers I tried it on... I might try it again, if it's gotten more stable over the past two years.

I'm still not very good with it, since I don't edit too much and I've never taken classes, but I can do the little things I need to do. Attached is a picture of my friend, Bao Nhu. She was pissed off at the camera man, and thought that they did a horrible job with her makeup, so I decided to tweak around with it. I liquified her lips to make her smile, added a color-balancing layer (I don't remember the exact values, but it was mostly red with a touch of yellow) to get rid of the "blueness", touched up her makeup with the healing brush (yes, yes, makeup is bad, but it was her senior portrait), and, since I was lazy, added a slight blur to her shirt to remove the dust and speckles. I'm sure it would look a little cleaner if I just brushed out each individual speck, but as I said, I'm lazy. Funny thing is, after I shrunk both pictures down from 1616x2384 to 304x450 for comparison, you couldn't even see most of the speckles in the first pic, anyway. Oh well, no big deal.

Attached is the result. Any tips on how I could've done better?

Attachments

• Bao Nhu.jpg
    Bao Nhu.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Bao Nhu Smile.jpg
    Bao Nhu Smile.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
and mspaint can be used for good AND evil, as we can all compare this to Geno's art.

willow32.jpg

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
FeelTheUniverseXXX, thats a great photo touchup, but I dont think you should have added the smile. There is a fine line between touchups and artificial photos.

Speaking of which, the patch tool is great for removing things from photos, from dust specks to entire people and buildings!

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
psp8 all the way. ps pluggins work with psp just perfect, so i don't se a reason to leave the interface i have been using for years.

the gimp is nice, but there are just too many damn windows to use it with just one screen :con:

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I know it makes it kinda artificial, but when she gave me the picture, she regretted not smiling for it, so I decided to surprise her and change it. It made her happy, so that's what I thought mattered :)

edit: Instaposted by Rogue
Now that I look at it, I probably should've smoothed over her overall tone a bit more; especially after the color balancing. I'll tinker around with it later. Most of the editing I did on her face, aside from the obvious smile, was removing imperfections (acne, etc) that her makeup didn't cover.

Last edited:

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Nice job FTU!

The only editing program I ever used was something called MicroGrafix Picture Publisher 8. I used it to make some textures for Carmageddon 2 skins, and to fiddle around with. I made some neat abstract type pictures with it. Nothing really good, but alot of things that I am just personally proud of.

w00p

Windows at its best
I have used PS, and I still prefer even PSP7...
PS is quite easy to learn. And the filters are nice, but I prefer good street knowledge in PSP7. :p
I'm yet to get me PSP8.
My dad has a license via his work, so he can install it here, but the bloke always forgets it. :rolleyes:
And then he complains about me forgetting to do my homework. :rolleyes: :p

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I prefer paint shop pro for the simple things because I suck at editting and psp is real damn easy to learn.
But (I once managed to make a pic look cool) photoshop all the way when it has to be quality.

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
i find photoshop is good all-around. It has many filters and "auto levels" and other automatic tuneups, so you can basically have it do things for you, but it also has unlimited power for even the deepest user to get the most out of it.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
One not mentioned is Photoshop's little sister Photo Elements 2. When people ask me to recommend a program for them thats the one I suggest.

I love Photoshop 7 but I do reconize the fact that it is over kill or most people. A program that does density, contrast and colour adjusments is all what most people use. Some touch ups with a clonning or similar tool and a bit of sharpening. All the packages mentioned does a good job at that.

I am also a firm believer that you use what works for you. Many people pick software based onthe feature list which is wrong. You should be asking yourself what does my photos require and what is the best software and method to do that. It doesn't matter if such and such can do a whole list of things if someone doesn't use them.

I require PS7 and do use most of the features. Thats me. At the office the people I work with only use a small selection of tools.