Gaming Industry New Years Resolutions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's traditional to meet the new year with resolutions of your own, but Destructoid has put together a long list of humorous resolutions for the gaming industry. Here are a few:

3: I will stop using the Unreal Engine if I have no idea how to make my games look good with it.

10: I will be confident when promoting my game, but I will not be arrogant. I will not make wild claims about the capabilities of my game, I will not insinuate that people "don't get" it if they hate it, and I most certainly will not enter into bets with online message boards over the game's success.

20: I promise to stop whining about used games as if trade-ins only affect the videogames industry and aren't another cog in the very same capitalist machine that lets me get away with half of the shit I get away with.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Haha, that's an awesome list! I very much agree with it.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
23: I will make more well-balanced games that are neither pathetically easy to attract so-called "causals" nor mindlessly hard just for the sake of being hard. I will actually employ some designing skill to create a game that is challenging but fair.

Casual Gaming Misconception?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
3: I will stop using the Unreal Engine if I have no idea how to make my games look good with it.
I really hope there's companies that will listen to that one.
It's giving a really good engine a really bad name.
That does apply to every technology though ... there's always going to be companies that will use new technology without the paradigm-shift required to make it work just so that marketing can add an extra bullet-point to the box.

OTOH one should also add :
(n) making things that are fun to play does not mean that they should look like crap from yesteryear

(n+1) anyone using the words 'next gen' without actually making something truly 'next generation'-worthy should be taken out and shot

(n+2) we will stop claiming that DRM will fix piracy, because Spore proved it did not

dub

Feb 12, 2002
5: I will stop bitching if I get a review score of less than 9.0 or higher. I will recognize that a score of 8.0 is actually really good and that since reviews never greatly impact sales, I should stop contributing to one of the reasons why people don't feel they can trust them anymore.

*cough*

*cough*

;D

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
A lot of that sounds like it was ripped straight from a Zero Punctuation video. And if this happens to be the case, they forgot this one...

I will change my design philosophy to something other than "let's be like Halo" and/or "let's rip off Aliens again."

13: I will stop stretching franchise plots out to three installments or more when the actual narrative is slim enough to fit into a single game.

I like this one. Too bad it won't ever happen. Enough with the tedious, pointless, game-lengthening bull that doesn't actually add anything to experience just so they can save an idea for a sequel that will probably suck. :(

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
There should be a gaming forum patron version of this:

1) When confronted with 0-1% of the information related to a development effort, I will refrain from believing I know everything going on.

2) "I'm sad" threads serve no purpose other than reducing my therapy bills.

3) I will not bag on how hard UE3 is to use when I've never created a mod project of any complexity, ever.

(4) when I am dissappointed by a game I will post in a constructive manner.

(5) I will not derail every ff-ing thread just to rant about how much the game is teh suxx0rz

(6) if I really really hate a game then I will stop posting on a forum dedicated to its fans for I clearly am not a fan anymore

Please, add some more! :)

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
They forgot a few...

27: I will no longer consider PC's ancillary to the gaming industry, and then poorly port "designed for consoles" games to them.

28: I will no longer treat PC gamers as thieves, and burden my games with draconian and punitive copy protection schemes.

29: I will realize that not all PC gamers use the "WASD" control configuration, and design my games to have a more flexible control scheme.

30: I will no longer make console First Person Shooters until console makers produce quality keyboard and mouse controllers.

Last edited:

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
There should be a gaming forum patron version of this:

1) When confronted with 0-1% of the information related to a development effort, I will refrain from believing I know everything going on.

2) "I'm sad" threads serve no purpose other than reducing my therapy bills.

3) I will not bag on how hard UE3 is to use when I've never created a mod project of any complexity, ever.

Please, add some more! :)

4) If someone doesn't like a game I worked on, and actually criticizes it, I will not ban them from my company forums, and then ignore their user profiles on fan sites.

5) If a game I worked on bombs, I will not blame the fan base for my team's shortcomings in giving the players a sequel they wanted to play.

6) If I'm working on a game based on a gladiator tournament, I will not create a sequel that completely throws the tournament out of the game and inserts a generic war story in its place.